Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Dan, how about coming to my place at Lake of the Pines and doing a bike fit? [h2ofun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dave - I'm going to respond to most your points frankly, and as a friend. Please read my responses carefully.

h2ofun wrote:
I was like 21st off the bike. But I ended up 7th. I had the 4th fastest run time against guys like hill who have been to Kona 24 times. But does any talk about my run times for my age put me in the same groupings as you comment about the guys 23.3 bike time. So why are run times not as important.

The M60 guy who averaged 23.3mph on the course had a bike time that was a full 14 mins faster than the next fastest. It was a true outlier performance. No one is talking about your run time, because not only was it not the fastest, the first three guys were all +/- 1 min of your time, and they did it off of a much faster bike than you. In short, your run performance at Penticton LC was not exceptional.

h2ofun wrote:
Why do so many suck on the run? Does anyone talk I had sub 7 runs for all but the last race, where for a 3/4 tri I was like 7:30 pace? Of my sub 20 5K's? Nooooooo.

Why would they talk about your run times when you started a thread about improving your bike fit and bike splits? The aquathlon is basically a super sprint without a bike so it's not even relevant. Also, why are you bringing up the question of why do so many suck on the run" again. Didn't we beat this dead horse to death in your last thread on the topic> http://forum.slowtwitch.com/...20the%20run#p6387772
But if we must go there, I'll tell you why I suck on the run. First, as I got older my ability to handle running in hot weather went POOF. Second, a lifetime of running injuries means my legs and feet do not respond correctly anymore. I've had multiple stress fractures in both feet and in my left tibia, plantar fasciitis in both feet, a ruptured plantar fascia in my left foot, multiple torn muscles, achilles tendonitis, posterior tibial tendonitis, deep hamstring pulls in both legs, multiple episodes of ITBS on my left leg, injuries that I don't even know the name of, and the resulting adhesions and scar tissue that came with all that. That's how you go from running sub 31 min 10K in your 20s to about 55 mins at 60. Yeah, I suck, but I'm still out here 4+ decades of running later. And finally, I work fulltime and simply cannot devote any more time than I do to the three sports combined.

h2ofun wrote:
And guess what, I did ZERO, and I mean ZERO training for a long distance race. Does anyone saw wow, I thought that would be impossible. Zero long bikes and zero long runs. But I could end up 7th at the Long Course Triathlon, 3/4 Ironman, a world event with only Olympic distance training?

You did great!! But what's that got to do with your own post? Here's the bottom line on your performance...you won when there was no bike leg. If you want to be on the podium in the other events then you need to improve your bike. You know that...and hence your post. But when people give suggestions, you go right back to a defensive posture and claim to be satisfied with your admittedly stellar performances. The bottomline is if you won't take advice on improving your bike you will not beat the guys who are just as fast as you and are running that off a superior bike split.

h2ofun wrote:
I am currently 5th in the USAT Tri rankings. So how would I be 5th if my bike times suck so bad? It is not a split time, but a finish time. Maybe because I suck on the bike so much and conserve energy, I am able to have killer runs?

Your USAT ranking does not give you a head start at Worlds...again, that is completely irrelevant. Perhaps a moderate bike split is what allows you to have a high level run, but you won't know if you don't try to improve the bike, and more importantly, you won't win at this level unless you improve your bike AND maintain your run.

h2ofun wrote:
In Duathlon I think I am 3rd in the USAT rankings at the moment. Again, has my bike time compared to my total finish time really hurt me?

Again, completely irrelevant. You didn't make the top 3 at Penticton in either sprint or standard duathlon. If you were satisfied with your finish places then why did you post this thread about your bike?

h2ofun wrote:
Yep, so many say they cannot get better on the run because it hurts too much, etc. Well for me, I am not able to suffer on the bike like others, but boy can I kick many folks butt and suffer in the run. In most races this season at my age of 60, I have the top runs compared to the rest of the entire field. So why do folks not talk about that? Now, if I have the same top bike time we know what folks would say. And if that followed with a sucky run, .....

So yes, I know my abilities, both physically and mentally. I do not have Olympic DNA genetics. Buy damn, for all my hard work, I sure fell I do pretty good. Especially compared to most in our sport.

Do I care about being number 1? No way. The guys that are there have basically been pro's there entire career. They have the DNA. They, like moats above me, take drugs. Can I compete with the .001%? Nope and never will, period.

Am I willing to give away run speed for bike speed? Not really.

So now you've given all your reasons why you don't have to get better on the bike, or at least aren't willing to train any harder on the bike. If you are satisfied with that, then no need to ever ask about how to improve your bike again.

h2ofun wrote:
But, I know I need to look at bike fit. I know I need to look at having decent bike components. I am trying to see if trainerroad can be made to work on the velotron. I hope to get a working copy of RM1 for the velotron soon.

You are open to a better bike fit...that's good and it's a start. But there is probably more low hanging fruit from just working harder if you want it

h2ofun wrote:
But I have had a bad knee for many years. I have to spot pedaling and straightened my knee on the bike like very minute. So again, based on physical limitations, injuries, DNA, etc, well when all these folks who judge me are ranked higher than me, let alone age grade to compare to an old 60 year old, then great.

I have a bad left leg. The first half hour on the bike after a long course swim and I can only pedal about a minute before stopping for a second or two to rest my left leg. Competing, and continuing to compete at 60 and above is pretty much all about managing your injuries. Old people lean far forward, far backward, list as they run, and have all kinds of gait accommodations to deal with their problems. You are not unique in this regard.

Also, no one is judging you. This is a continual habit of yours. You post something and people give advice, then you allege that they are attacking or judging you, and that your rankings make your position the gospel truth. What they are really saying is that you are close to the best, and you might be the best if you would apply some of the lessons learned here. If you don't want to even try, then quit asking for input.

h2ofun wrote:
But as I have said many times, most folks in our sport will never ever race with they get to be my age, let alone at my ability level. And the ones who have beat me up for saying this know who you are.

Very, very true. I'm just glad to be out there regardless of my suck-ass run ability. Just yesterday, a High School classmate went to hospice with a 2 week maximum life expectancy. Very few can race at 60 and the ones who can toe the starting line in their 70s and even 80s are downright rare.

h2ofun wrote:
Congrads on your race. You doing to Denmark?

I will be racing at MiamiMan this November but will not accept a slot to Denmark. Instead, I have entered IM Norway, just 2 wks before the long course event in Odense. Norway is much higher up on my bucket list...and because the wife would rather go to Norway since we've already been to Denmark.
Quote Reply

Prev Next