Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

The eternal challenge; Mastering the IM run….
Quote | Reply

There is always talk on the forum of overbiking – and the prevailing wisdom that if you have a good bike leg but a bad run leg you must have over biked
I think this is too simplistic, and there may be other factors involved

I did an IM at the weekend and was speaking to a guy in the tent after and he said he finds the IM leg so frustrating. Nothing can prepare you for it
You can do multiple 30 km runs in training – they are nothing like the IM leg
And if you really prepare for it – say do a 4.5 hr bike ride hard, and then run for 2.30 after you will be so fried after you will miss 7-10 days quality training. And the reality is its the last hour on the run that does the damage - the DOMS of a 2.30 run are half that of a 3.30 run in training
And we are constantly told an IM build is consistent day to day work

There is also the variable of the weather
In mainland Europe it can be cool on te bike and then 90F by the time you are running
So in a way you want to push the bike to try and start the run before it gets very hot
The cruel irony is Pros get the early stats and are finished first
AG’ers wait 30 mins to start, bike 6 hs and then face searing run heat
That’s hard to train for – especially if you come from cooler climate

I have done 5 IMs before- my run leg has been anyway between 3.17 and 3.35
On Sunday it was 3.49 and I had the worst cramps I ever had; seriously thought I would DNF

This has led to a lot of doubts; I am now wondering did I not take enough salt, or did I take too much water?
Or did I overbike, or was my run training simply not enough?
Or was it simply a crazy hot day (95F) and you just need to accept that it will get messy?

But my running has been really solid; averaging 45-50 miles a week for last 12 weeks
I did a 4.48 bike leg; but on a TSS of 235
So I don’t think I went too hard on the bike; and saying go slower on the bike may have done nothing for my run time – just delayed my start of the run by 10-15 mins and extended the time in the heat

Its such a puzzle to solve; maybe that’s why it has a hold on us all
Quote Reply
Re: The eternal challenge; Mastering the IM run…. [bespoke] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
bespoke wrote:
I have done 5 IMs before- my run leg has been anyway between 3.17 and 3.35
On Sunday it was 3.49 and I had the worst cramps I ever had; seriously thought I would DNF

I read your preparation was ok, at least as good as for the former IMs, and also that you did a good bikeleg.

In the former IMs you did decent marathons. So it seems you're doing the right thing what preparation is concerned.

There was thus something especially in this IM which was different from the former ones.

I guess it was the heat. What should you have done differently? Maybe you did not drink enough, because dehydration generally causes cramps.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nutrition and hydration on the bike plays a massive part in the success of the run.
Quote Reply
Re: The eternal challenge; Mastering the IM run…. [longtrousers] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the reply
The really confusing thing is if you read other articles I may have drank too much !
https://sportsscientists.com/...at-and-electrolytes/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
For me it's about not getting gu issues during the run. I have no problem running a standalone marathon and just consuming gel/bars, but when doing lc it is so much harder. I can practice nutrition on all my centruries+ long bricks, but the issues come after around 7-8h so can't practice in a good way. Last weekend I started the bike feeling quite fresh, averaged 4:10/km for the first lap (3-loop), then in the middle of the second lap I started to get some bad stomach problems, legs were fins though. Felt like I was doing 2km threshold intervals between portapotties.

Terrible Tuesday’s Triathlon
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had really bad cramps once actually on the bike, and I when I looked back I drank lots or water on the 2-3 days leading up to the race, and I think I effectively washed out all my salts. Race week I now replace 1l per day with electrolyte drinks not had a problem since.
Quote Reply
Re: The eternal challenge; Mastering the IM run…. [uk_bloke] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Seems to be important indeed: drink electrolytes,not water (water only to gels)
Quote Reply