Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Matthew Stafford will become the highest-paid player in NFL history
Quote | Reply
Well he is the best QB the Lions have had in years....

"ALLEN PARK, Mich. -- Matthew Stafford will become the highest-paid player in NFL history with a five-year deal he has agreed to with the Detroit Lions, a source told ESPN's Adam Schefter on Monday.

The deal, according to the source, will put him ahead of the five-year contract that pays $25 million annually that the Oakland Raiders signed quarterback Derek Carr to last month.

Stafford's deal also keeps the franchise's leader in almost every passing category with the team throughout the prime of his career with the Lions."

"The great pleasure in life is doing what people say you cannot do."
Quote Reply
Re: Matthew Stafford will become the highest-paid player in NFL history [jkca1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jkca1 wrote:
Well he is the best QB the Lions have had in years....

"ALLEN PARK, Mich. -- Matthew Stafford will become the highest-paid player in NFL history with a five-year deal he has agreed to with the Detroit Lions, a source told ESPN's Adam Schefter on Monday.

The deal, according to the source, will put him ahead of the five-year contract that pays $25 million annually that the Oakland Raiders signed quarterback Derek Carr to last month.

Stafford's deal also keeps the franchise's leader in almost every passing category with the team throughout the prime of his career with the Lions."

Chump change. He could have made four times as much in just one night if he was Floyd Mayweather fighting some Irish guy. :-)
Quote Reply
Re: Matthew Stafford will become the highest-paid player in NFL history [jkca1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Why does this contract feel like the equivalent of driving a luxury car while living in the ghetto?
Quote Reply
Re: Matthew Stafford will become the highest-paid player in NFL history [MidwestRoadie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MidwestRoadie wrote:
Why does this contract feel like the equivalent of driving a luxury car while living in the ghetto?

With Stafford I think it's more akin to driving a Toyota Camry while living in the ghetto.
Quote Reply
Re: Matthew Stafford will become the highest-paid player in NFL history [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm a life-long Michigander. As such, my standards of luxury may be a bit skewed when it comes to the Lions. A playoff win is our Super Bowl.

And I resent the Camry comment. My 9 year old Camry has another solid 8 years of life left in her! ;-) </pink>

trail wrote:
MidwestRoadie wrote:

With Stafford I think it's more akin to driving a Toyota Camry while living in the ghetto.
Quote Reply
Re: Matthew Stafford will become the highest-paid player in NFL history [MidwestRoadie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Premium mediocre...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
MidwestRoadie wrote:

BK has a thread on this ... "Premium Mediocre."

drn92
Quote Reply
Post deleted by spudone [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Matthew Stafford = Premium mediocre.

Damn. I see my joke is way too late.

How does Danny Hart sit down with balls that big?
Last edited by: BLeP: Aug 28, 17 21:54
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

FUN FACT:

Matthew Stafford is 5-46 in his career against teams above .500

Last edited by: BLeP: Aug 29, 17 4:52
Quote Reply
Re: Matthew Stafford will become the highest-paid player in NFL history [BLeP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Julian Edelman is a better QB than Matthew Stafford ;-)
Quote Reply
Re: Matthew Stafford will become the highest-paid player in NFL history [spudone] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
spudone wrote:
After he leaches off their entire salary cap, watch what happens when they build an offensive line out of JV college dropouts.

/just a jaded Seahawks fan

:)

And with that signing bonus the cap hit if they try to dump him will kill them. So he is their boy for the foreseeable future.

I'm beginning to think that we are much more fucked than I thought.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have two words for the Lions ownership: Jeff George
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ummm.

sometimes
Quote Reply
Re: Matthew Stafford will become the highest-paid player in NFL history [BLeP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
  • Fastest player to reach 15,000 career passing yards (53 GP)
  • Fastest player to reach 20,000 career passing yards (71 GP)
  • Fastest player to reach 25,000 career passing yards (90 GP)
  • Fastest player to reach 30,000 career passing yards (109 GP)[48]
  • Most passing yards in first 100 games

That is on a crap Lions team. If Stafford was on the Patriots there would be talk of Greatest of All Time.
Quote Reply
Re: Matthew Stafford will become the highest-paid player in NFL history [Thom] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thom wrote:

That is on a crap Lions team. If Stafford was on the Patriots there would be talk of Greatest of All Time.

WE HAVE A LIONS FAN IN THE HOUSE!!!

Quote Reply
Re: Matthew Stafford will become the highest-paid player in NFL history [Thom] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thom wrote:

OK, I am already a bit cheesed off at you for making me tout Tom Brady so ...

They started calculating QBR in 2006. In those 11 years Brady is over 70 for 10 of those years with a low of 64.9. In his 8 years Stafford has one year over 70. Brady's lowest year would be Stafford's third highest.

And there is that pesky 51-58 record with a grand total of 3 post season games in his career. Brady has 8 seasons with 3 post season games and 34 total.

Quote Reply
Re: Matthew Stafford will become the highest-paid player in NFL history [j p o] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
j p o wrote:

They started calculating QBR in 2006. In those 11 years Brady is over 70 for 10 of those years with a low of 64.9. In his 8 years Stafford has one year over 70. Brady's lowest year would be Stafford's third highest.

And there is that pesky 51-58 record with a grand total of 3 post season games in his career. Brady has 8 seasons with 3 post season games and 34 total.

Tom Brady is an all time great, no doubt. Do you honestly believe Brady would have put up those career numbers as a Lion?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thom wrote:
j p o wrote:

Tom Brady is an all time great, no doubt. Do you honestly believe Brady would have put up those career numbers as a Lion?

No.

But that doesn't mean Stafford is an all time great either. He is good. No doubt. But I'd wait for him to win at least one playoff game before I started ranking him all time.

He also finds himself in a very lucrative spot. I'd love to be the agent of an established QB going into their 6th year. They will get paid a ton since quality at the position is so rare. Even if the agent discounted it down to 1% he just had a very good day and he doesn't have to get his ass kicked 16 times a year.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thom wrote:

Yeah, I'm sure that's true, especially when Stafford never had any WRs to throw to ...

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers

Emery's Third Coast Triathlon | Tri Wisconsin Triathlon Team | Push Endurance | GLWR
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers

Emery's Third Coast Triathlon | Tri Wisconsin Triathlon Team | Push Endurance | GLWR
Quote Reply