Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: training for sprint triathlons at 50 [h2ofun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
h2ofun wrote:
Slowman wrote:
SpeedNeeder wrote:
I'm having a hard time finding info specifically relevant to competing in sprint triathlons at age 50. I've done 7 sprints, and I'm in happy doing those. Looking for information specific to training for sprints.

pussy

50 is just a baby. Wonder if they are potty trained yet? :)

I'll be 49 in a few weeks. I really don't see the point in potty training. Trees and bushes have been good for the first half century...don't see any reason to start something new now.
Quote Reply
Re: training for sprint triathlons at 50 [RangerGress] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RangerGress wrote:
SpeedNeeder wrote:
Thanks Ranger.
There's lots a articles and plans out there for IM training at age 50, but I'm not finding anything specific to sprint tri training.

Hmm. Well, the folks that are serious tend to do longer distances
, so the stuff out there re. training for a sprint is probably aimed at novices.

Everyone has strengths and weaknesses. If you've not much background in any of the 3 sports, then start reading up on cycling and running. You can't learn how to swim out of a book. I know, I spent 20yrs trying. So for that you'll have to either hook up with a group that knows what they're doing, a coach, or try to learn thru videos. I did the latter, using Total Immersion and SwimSmooth. Swimming is like ballet. It can take years to just learn how to do it. Learn how to swim. It took me 20yrs to realize that I didn't really know how to swim. Only after your form is pretty good should you concentrate on (swim) fitness.

Obviously tho there are triathlon unique aspects of this. If you transition times are slow relative to your competition, work on them. Also, you'll need to do some ride-run workouts so your body can get used to running immed after a hard ride.

Triathlon types tend to overtrain. At your age, your ability to recover is not what it once was. If you're legs don't feel "fresh" then give them a break. Figure out how much you can do and legitimately call it a "recovery" workout. When it doubt, recover a bit more.

Do what you can to eat well. When you're training hard, I'd take multivitamins and protein to help your body recover.

Bet the Brownlee brothers would chuckle at that comment..
Quote Reply
Re: training for sprint triathlons at 50 [ou8acracker2] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ou8acracker2 wrote:
RangerGress wrote:
SpeedNeeder wrote:
Thanks Ranger.
There's lots a articles and plans out there for IM training at age 50, but I'm not finding anything specific to sprint tri training.

, so the stuff out there re. training for a sprint is probably aimed at novices.

Everyone has strengths and weaknesses. If you've not much background in any of the 3 sports, then start reading up on cycling and running. You can't learn how to swim out of a book. I know, I spent 20yrs trying. So for that you'll have to either hook up with a group that knows what they're doing, a coach, or try to learn thru videos. I did the latter, using Total Immersion and SwimSmooth. Swimming is like ballet. It can take years to just learn how to do it. Learn how to swim. It took me 20yrs to realize that I didn't really know how to swim. Only after your form is pretty good should you concentrate on (swim) fitness.

Obviously tho there are triathlon unique aspects of this. If you transition times are slow relative to your competition, work on them. Also, you'll need to do some ride-run workouts so your body can get used to running immed after a hard ride.

Triathlon types tend to overtrain. At your age, your ability to recover is not what it once was. If you're legs don't feel "fresh" then give them a break. Figure out how much you can do and legitimately call it a "recovery" workout. When it doubt, recover a bit more.

Do what you can to eat well. When you're training hard, I'd take multivitamins and protein to help your body recover.

Why? Do you perceive that a significant fraction of highly experienced triathletes focus on Sprint distance? My perception is that the serious folks are mostly at Olympic and longer.

Books @ Amazon
"If only he had used his genius for niceness, instead of Evil." M. Smart
Quote Reply
Re: training for sprint triathlons at 50 [SpeedNeeder] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ok youngster, what specifically do you want to know? Are you talking about training or race strategies?

Training - swim, bike and run at least 3 times a week each consistently, and keep trying to do each of the 3 faster. I know that is obvious, but there is no real great mystery.

Sprint triathlons in particular are a bit like an accordion . . . you want to compress all of the pieces as tightly together. So, as mentioned previously, smooth fast transitions become much more important in short races.

David
* Ironman for Life! (Blog) * IM Everyday Hero Video * Daggett Shuler Law *
Disclaimer: I have personal and professional relationships with many athletes, vendors, and organizations in the triathlon world.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Haha, but I thought the next olympics would actually have sprint distances ;)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
RangerGress wrote:
ou8acracker2 wrote:
RangerGress wrote:
SpeedNeeder wrote:
Thanks Ranger.

Why? Do you perceive that a significant fraction of highly experienced triathletes focus on Sprint distance? My perception is that the serious folks are mostly at Olympic and longer.

Actually - I think the serious folks race most the distances. Top 5 guys in my age group (by rankings) all have an Olympic, 2 have sprints, 3 have 70.3 No IM's.
Quote Reply
Re: training for sprint triathlons at 50 [exxxviii] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
exxxviii wrote:
SpeedNeeder wrote:
I usually try not to run and bike the same day, but maybe that's something I can look at changing. (because I'm sure any 5k running plan will have me running 5/6 days per week).

Since I hit 50 (late 40s, actually) I am finding that I cannot comfortably run back-to-back days. I currently run 4 days/week, and that is probably pushing the limit of what my knees want to deal with. I am running about 25 miles/week, and I can ramp up to ~35, but I cannot get much more without persistent soreness and increased injury risk. So, adjust your # weekly runs and distances according to what your body can handle.

Biking, on the other hand, is easy. I double-up bike and run days with very little impact to either workout. So, give it a try, but you may find that you can ride on a run day without impacts. I ride 2x/week on run days and 1x/week on swim days.

QFT.

You are at an age where intensity on the run is very dicey. You can bike a lot, and swim a lot, without too much fear of injury, since the forces involved are pretty small. However, the forces in running are much greater, and you ain't no spring chicken any more. Doing high-speed runs can result in injury, and at our age (I'm 59) those take much longer to recover from than you realize. Don't push the pace on the runs you do, and don't overdue the frequency.

(speaking as pretty much a sprint triathlete)

----------------------------------
"Go yell at an M&M"
Quote Reply
Re: training for sprint triathlons at 50 [ou8acracker2] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ou8acracker2 wrote:

I think it's harder to drop a minute off of my best sprint time than it is to drop 5 min of my best HIM time
Quote Reply
Re: training for sprint triathlons at 50 [david] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
david wrote:
Ok youngster, what specifically do you want to know? Are you talking about training or race strategies?

Training - swim, bike and run at least 3 times a week each consistently, and keep trying to do each of the 3 faster. I know that is obvious, but there is no real great mystery.

Sprint triathlons in particular are a bit like an accordion . . . you want to compress all of the pieces as tightly together. So, as mentioned previously, smooth fast transitions become much more important in short races.

This.

I'm in my 60's and I still race sprints along with longer distances. You young people sound like a bunch of pussies. HTFU.

Live long and surf!
Quote Reply

Prev Next