Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Motorcycle riders.....doing the "ton"
Quote | Reply
.....here's why its not a good idea to do "the ton" (100 mph) on public roads any more.

The British "ton up boys" of the 1950's and early 60's where without a doubt the most daring and dashing street riders of all time racing their BSA's, Norton's, Triumph's, etc on back roads to hit that magic "ton" 100 mph. Quite a feat considering the bike technology of the time. Different world today. Today's modern bikes can easily hit 100 mph but with the traffic, texting drivers, etc is it a good idea?

Tragic video. Fast forward to 2:40 if you just want the end result. RIP.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k_Zg0JYDUqM
Quote Reply
Re: Motorcycle riders.....doing the "ton" [cerveloguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tragic. Very bad decision.

Gnothi Seauton.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Actually gives me a nauseous response. My heart rate and adrenaline went up immediately. I could never imagine doing 100mph on a road like that. There are some roads that I've ridden where I feel sketched out doing the speed limit.

Gnothi Seauton.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes, tragic for the driver of the car getting hit head on by a reckless biker. I see this shit all the time from motorcycles. Driving too fast, splitting lanes of traffic. Passing on median side of carpool lane. Ridiculous.

Pretty much every day during my commute in socal, the news reports a bad accident on one freeway or another involving a motorcycle.

Just this morning at 530 am, car trying to make a lawful lane change from carpool into number 1 lane gets blocked by a motorcyclist going way too fast for conditions. Car yields to allow motorcycle to pass. He doesn't. Instead gets right up on the car, revving engine all loud and crazy, and pulls hard to the left to pass on the left of the car driving in the carpool lane. No accident, but it was close. Biker was an idiot, but it's quite common.

My car can easily go 100 mph+. Doesn't mean I do, or should, or that it's cool to go a hundo. But, rock on dude.
Quote Reply
Re: Motorcycle riders.....doing the "ton" [jw13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jw13 wrote:
Yes, tragic for the driver of the car getting hit head on by a reckless biker. I see this shit all the time from motorcycles. Driving too fast, splitting lanes of traffic. Passing on median side of carpool lane. Ridiculous.

Pretty much every day during my commute in socal, the news reports a bad accident on one freeway or another involving a motorcycle.

Just this morning at 530 am, car trying to make a lawful lane change from carpool into number 1 lane gets blocked by a motorcyclist going way too fast for conditions. Car yields to allow motorcycle to pass. He doesn't. Instead gets right up on the car, revving engine all loud and crazy, and pulls hard to the left to pass on the left of the car driving in the carpool lane. No accident, but it was close. Biker was an idiot, but it's quite common.

My car can easily go 100 mph+. Doesn't mean I do, or should, or that it's cool to go a hundo. But, rock on dude.

Just today, I had a guy turn left in front of me and another pull out to pass a car in front of him with me coming head on at him.Both times I was doing 50-60 mph and had to get on the brakes. If you want to go fast on your bike do it at a track day on a closed circuit. Crazy to do it on the roads these days.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just fucking idiotic

That sort of junction would be signalled from perhaps half a mile. It would be well sign posted. Road markings would be clear.

Its just idiotic.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for posting. Horrible video, I was sat staring numbly for a couple of minutes after watching that collision.

While I do appreciate the family's decision to release this, I also thought that his mother did almost nothing to criticise her son's riding. Understandable given she's just lost a son, but the reality is that however great he was as a son and friend, he was also largely responsible for his own death through some seriously stupid and reckless riding, and more importantly his "love of speed" has certainly unnecessarily endangered many other road users over his 22 years of riding. I'd like to think that having experienced the loss of her own son largely through his own actions, she can empathise with the many people who have suffered bereavement where their loved ones were killed through no fault of their own but because somebody else, somebody just like her son, was in a hurry, or loved going fast, or was checking their phone instead of watching the road.

Tragic waste of life, the only silver lining is that he didn't take anybody else out with him.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It's not even about public roads. It's inherently dangerous on a closed track, but monumentally stupid bordering on suicidal to do it in traffic, on a two lane road with intersections.

It's right up there with dousing yourself with gasoline and playing with matches. Sympathy meter is pegged at zero.

The devil made me do it the first time, second time I done it on my own - W
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Are you kidding? On the Long Island Expressway it's not uncommon at all to see a sport-bike coming up behind you, between the lanes of bogged down traffic, doing what looks like close to 100...........doing a wheelie!!

---------------------------
''Sweeney - you can both crush your AG *and* cruise in dead last!! đŸ˜‚ '' Murphy's Law
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Comments on youtube pretty much get it right. Rider pushed his luck. Mom just being a mom and can't face her son's stupid actions ("he loved speed"). Whomever recorded that and put it on youtube did not do the mom a service. Maybe, however, the video will serve as message for some riders.

________
It doesn't really matter what Phil is saying, the music of his voice is the appropriate soundtrack for a bicycle race. HTupolev
Quote Reply
Re: Motorcycle riders.....doing the "ton" [Sweeney] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Earlier in the Summer, D'Kid & I were on a bike ride, when four sport bikes came whining & roaring past us, and down the road we were on. The road came to a "T" intersection, so they all stopped, bunched up, then turned right and zoomed off, one pair getting in MotoGP tucks, the other two hitting wheelies

"Whelp. I hope they're having fun," D'Kid proclaimed "They'll be dead soon"

A couple weeks later, the two of us were riding the same road, and we heard the sport bikes behind us again

This time, there were only three of them, and they were considerably more restrained

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
cerveloguy wrote:
.....here's why its not a good idea to do "the ton" (100 mph) on public roads any more.

Any more?

You can't go that much faster than traffic. Today or 40 years ago. No matter how fast the traffic is going. If you are doing 60 when traffic is going 25 you will have troubles. Friend of ours had a car turn in front of him in a subdivision. He was probably going 50'ish. Ran into the car hard lost his lower leg. He claims he wasn't going too fast, but we know him and how he rides. When we remind him of that he just gets sheepish.

I ride and I don't think bikes are a death trap. But thrill seekers should not ride. Bikes are fun. Riding bikes faster is more fun. If you constantly need a thrill you will just keep pushing it faster and faster.

I've been north of 100, it is really fast on a bike. Not something I want to do very often or in very many places. If I ate it at that speed it is my fault and I hope no one would have sympathy for me but rather call me a dumbass.

I'm beginning to think that we are much more fucked than I thought.
Quote Reply
Re: Motorcycle riders.....doing the "ton" [j p o] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
j p o wrote:
I've been north of 100, it is really fast on a bike. Not something I want to do very often or in very many places. If I ate it at that speed it is my fault and I hope no one would have sympathy for me but rather call me a dumbass.

I passed a car on my skateboard once, bombing a downhill in VT

When I stopped to think about it, I could have just as easily ended up looking like a bug on the grille

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Started riding when I was 15, got my first sport bike at 16 and did some stupid things on it. I had it up to an indicated 175mph at one point on a highway. Glad I never got what I deserved.

Won't condemn the guy, we have all been young a dumb, but also don't feel the least bit sorry for him, he got what he had coming. Not all of us are lucky enough to avoid what we have coming before we grow up and slow down. I'm just glad the car he hit was able to stop in time for him to hit the front clip. If they had gotten broadside and he hit them in the door, it very likely would have killed two people.
Quote Reply
Re: Motorcycle riders.....doing the "ton" [j p o] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
j p o wrote:

I'm an inherently conservative guy and a former sport bike rider. On an open road, a sport bike can go up to a hundred and back to highway speed in an instant. It's really not that big of a deal. Blown tires and dear crossing were what ran through my head.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wow!! Pleeease someone tell me this fool never managed to pass on his DNA!!!
When you get to see this type of raw footage its a bleak reminder that these guys are out there on our highways! I've said to my wife on more than one occasion that we need waay stiffer penalties for stunt driving . Jail time and permanent vehicle confiscation would do wonders ...
Quote Reply
Re: Motorcycle riders.....doing the "ton" [shady] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Also a question for y'all...
I'm a parent of young kids and always looking for those ' teachable moments' :)
At what age would you consider showing footage of this kind as a hard hitting lesson in the dangers of speeding? My son is still a few yrs from driving but thoughts around the risks inherent in teenaged driving are already creeping in .
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not even enough time for an - OH SHIT!
Quote Reply
Re: Motorcycle riders.....doing the "ton" [shady] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It's human for kids to think they are invulnerable. This has only gotten worse in the last few decades because kids spend less time outside getting dinged up, and more time on video games were getting hurt isn't real.

A kid has to get hurt to learn that he can be hurt. The idea is to get hurt in some non-permanent way in order to learn caution re. getting hurt in a way that one won't recovery from. Alternately, the kid sees a buddy get hurt and sometimes he's smart enough to learn from the other's experience. Growing up in the 60's and 70's, we were always getting hurt and breaking bones.

When you hand a youngster a loaded rifle and tell him that there are bad guys out there that want to kill him, he won't take it seriously. To him, the threat "isn't real". Until he sees someone get hit. Then he starts carefully watching his sector, keeping his head down, and quits playing catch unexploded munitions.

Books @ Amazon
"If only he had used his genius for niceness, instead of Evil." M. Smart
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You have to hand it to Gopro, They make a tough camera.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A few links down was a motorcycle crash compilation video, which reinforced my own experience in treating MCC trauma victims. The vast, vast majority result from carelessness, recklessness, and inattention.

You have to wonder what the stats would look like if everyone rode like they had a brain in their head.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cCUdU16FzRo

The devil made me do it the first time, second time I done it on my own - W
Quote Reply
Re: Motorcycle riders.....doing the "ton" [jw13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jw13 wrote:

The moto dude was clearly tempting fate at that speed (and punched his ticket accordingly), but from the distance at which the turning car came into view, that driver should have legally yielded to oncoming traffic (whether 2-wheeled or 4). I'm sure he or she underestimated how quickly the motorcycle was closing that gap, but nevertheless turned in front of the moto's path late/slowly enough not to even get T-boned but rather launched the moto over the hood, which suggests to me that even if the moto were traveling half as fast it would have required evasive action to avoid the car being in the way.

There's room enough in the vehicle code for them both to have been in the wrong.
Quote Reply