Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Time for a new aero helmet?
Quote | Reply
Below is a pic I posted in Dan's height/saddle height thread a few weeks ago:

I've been riding that LG aero helmet (Crono?) since around 2008. It's the only aero helmet I've ever had. I've been thinking I should get a new aero helmet, but looking at pics of me on my bike makes me wonder if I should. I don't get too hot in the LG and the profile/tail of the helmet works well with my position (at least visually), so I'm not sure if any of the new aero helmets will offer much additional benefit.

I know the *real* answer is that helmets are a personal decision based on fit, comfort, position, etc. and I'd need to test several different helmets on me in a tunnel, but that's not really in the cards any time soon. So my general question is – do any of the new aero helmets offer much that my trusty ol' LG doesn't already have?

Thinking about the usual suspects: Giro Aerohead, LG P-09, Smith Podium, POC Cerebel, Scott Split or Cadence.
Quote Reply
Re: Time for a new aero helmet? [Northy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There has been a decade of development by some really sharp people since you bought your helmet. I would be surprised f your old LG could still compete.

I really like the new Aerohead, but I think the Selector would integrate very well with your back. If you don't want a visor, then the Specialized and P-09 are good choices.
Quote Reply
Re: Time for a new aero helmet? [grumpier.mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
grumpier.mike wrote:
There has been a decade of development by some really sharp people since you bought your helmet. I would be surprised f your old LG could still compete.

I really like the new Aerohead, but I think the Selector would integrate very well with your back. If you don't want a visor, then the Specialized and P-09 are good choices.

I've been wondering along those lines. The fact that the Cadence is so close to the Split really caught me by surprise when I first read Jordan's article – it looks like a regular road helmet but gives up only (a claimed) 2.5-4w to the full aero Split?!?
Quote Reply