Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Western US relocation Options [Skipjack] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Skipjack wrote:
milkman1982 wrote:
aarondb4 wrote:

Boise, ID is full of rednecks, skinheads, ignorant no good fools, and whores. Do not under any circumstance consider moving to Idaho!

We also have a standing order from the Governor to repel the Californian incursion, shoot on site orders have been issued.

This is excellent news.. we are rednecks from Jawja. and attended public school there, a state ranked in the bottom 3-4, so we are also ignorant. Sounds like a winner.

Another vote for Spokane making the list I suppose. It's come a long way in the past 20 years or so and hits on most of your criteria.

Now that we have that out of the way if you really want to look closer at this shit hole which aarondb4 is deterring you from...start off in Moscow, ID (about 6 hours north) and work your way down from there. We in N. Idaho have standing orders against Californians as well but we know they are still coming..might as well just get you all down there anyhow..it's practically CA already ;).

Those rednecks are always looking south...they will never see you coming!

U hush yur dang mouth!

Used to be you whacko skinheads in the North would keep everyone out of the entire state. Now you went and cleaned up your act and everyone thinks moving here is some great idea.

Inversions! -15 temps in the winter! 105 degrees in the summer! Famine! Plague! Ebola!
Quote Reply
Re: Western US relocation Options [Velocibuddha] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Velocibuddha wrote:
Questions about Denver......

I agree that the traffic and the housing costs have made the suburban commuter lifestyle unmanageable in Denver.

But are there other possibilities....
1) How about a house or condo in centralized area where car commuting could be kept to less than 10 miles/day.
2) What about that RTD system?

My thoughts ...

1) Good in theory, but then you are most likely adding time to your drive to the mountains. There are a few main "pockets" of work in Denver, downtown and the tech center being the main two. If you live close enough for a 10 min car commute you will be a bit farther from the mountains. Not unmanageable but a bit farther away.

2) Getting better, but not perfect. If I had to commute to downtown each day I would probably use light rail. Not a fan of the bus part of RTD.

I hope that Denver can continue to build out their mass transit, particularly the light rail system. We visited London and the public transit there was much nicer than what I've experienced in the US. The setup in SLC is pretty nice, but it seemed like in London a major metro stop was never more than a few blocks away.

drn92
Quote Reply
Re: Western US relocation Options [aarondb4] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
aarondb4 wrote:

Boise, ID is full of rednecks, skinheads, ignorant no good fools, and whores. Do not under any circumstance consider moving to Idaho!

We also have a standing order from the Governor to repel the Californian incursion, shoot on site orders have been issued.

This - We will repel all liberal Californians who attempt to invade our way of life. Besides...there's no handouts here. You'll hate it!
Quote Reply
Re: Western US relocation Options [tritimmy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
This - We will repel all liberal Californians who attempt to invade our way of life. Besides...there's no handouts here. You'll hate it!

That's why we're moving there. We don't want handouts, we want to amass enough votes so that we can get the government to give handouts to all the deprived folks out there.
Quote Reply
Re: Western US relocation Options [milkman1982] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Spent two days in early August in SLC. The air quality was horrible (inversion layer). I was told not to stay downtown so instead I stayed close to the airport (a nice ten minute drive from the office). However, in the afternoon, when leaving the office and driving back to the hotel, I could not even see the mountains.

The homeless population downtown is a mess, people sleeping in the medians, etc. There had supposedly been three murders in Pioneer Park in the previous two weeks so there was a bit more of a police influence...However, people were still all over.

I'm from SoCal but SLC folks never have to worry about me invading their space and driving up home prices.

Good luck in your search.
Quote Reply
Re: Western US relocation Options [scooter58] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thank you again to everyone for the responses. One thing is clear: there is no "perfect" location, there is always a compromise of some sort. As an update, I am very close (knock on wood) to securing a job in SLC. So for those that are familiar with the area this question is more geared to you.

The company is currently in Farmington, but they are building a new facility in South Jordan in the next 18 months. Regardless, my wife and I have been looking at some really charming houses in some of the downtown neighborhoods. Areas like Central City, the Avenues, and down to Sugar House. Thoughts on these areas?

Thoughts on this commute down to South Jordan or up to Farmington? looks to only be 15-20 miles respectively, which is a far cry from my current 55 mile commute. Intuitively these seem like reverse commutes, but can anyone confirm that?

Thanks All!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
For those of you in and around the Front Range who are complaining that something should have been done decades ago, what is that something? Expand I-70 to 4 lanes in each direction all the way to Vail? I'm not trying to be argumentative. I'm just curious. The problem seems to be that it's a fun place to live so the population is growing quickly. I don't know you fix that problem (border wall?) now or 20 years ago.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I live in Sandy and work in Draper. Lived in the valley for 42 years. Both my brother in laws live in the area's you are looking into. They both have small children and love it. Walk to stores, dining and close to schools. As far as your commute it would be pretty bad getting to farmington in the morning. Once you hit north salt lake it would thin out but still fairly heavy. One of my son's is going through an allergy treatment and his doctor is up in farmington. It's a crap shoot to how long it is going to take us, some days you hit the lottery other times it is pure gridlock. Just depends how many idiots are on the road. South Jordan is a stones throw form where I work and the commute would be more favorable than farmington but probably not by much when you move locations is 18 months. Our traffic the past 2 years has just gone to crap. I-15 is crowded and busy all day.

I live +/- 20 minutes from Alta/ Snowbird and 5 minutes from corner canyon. I love being able to hop on my bike and in a few minutes hitting the trail. I have never liked the Ave's, sugarhouse, harvard, yale area much but that is just my personality. Too cramped for me but like I say my family that lives up there love it.
Quote Reply
Re: Western US relocation Options [mr. mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mr. mike wrote:
For those of you in and around the Front Range who are complaining that something should have been done decades ago, what is that something? Expand I-70 to 4 lanes in each direction all the way to Vail? I'm not trying to be argumentative. I'm just curious. The problem seems to be that it's a fun place to live so the population is growing quickly. I don't know you fix that problem (border wall?) now or 20 years ago.

Another lane or two would be great, but then it would fill up as well. Some type of train seems to be the best solution, but then it has to be coupled with a robust local transit solution in Summit County and the Vail Valley. The other mountain towns (Georgetown, for example) are small enough that they are walkable.

drn92
Quote Reply
Re: Western US relocation Options [drn92] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Don't do anything to expand I-70. It would just invite more traffic anyway, and would be horrendously expensive. They should plan for a lane to be dedicated to full autonomous vehicles in the next 10-15 years, which will support 3x the traffic as long as it doesn't have to mix with human driven vehicles.

We have a similar problem - not quite as bad yet - with I-17 heading north from Phoenix. It seems like a 50/50 chance that on any weekend there will be an accident on Sunday afternoon with traffic coming back into Phoenix delayed for hours. It's a hard place to put a road and there is really no good plan on how to expand it, and no good alternate route.

We were in Dillon, CO for Labor Day weekend and now I'm dreaming of moving to Glenwood Springs. Unfortunately houses are $400K and good jobs pay $50K so it's kind of hard at this stage with young kids to raise, but I can dream anyway.
Quote Reply

Prev Next