Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

new orleans escape series race cancelled.....alternative suggestions?
Quote | Reply
I just received an email from Premier/IMG that the New Orleans race has been cancelled....no reason given. Anyone have any info on this why the cancellation and a suggestion for another OLY or HIM around early Oct?
Quote Reply
Re: new orleans escape series race cancelled.....alternative suggestions? [gphin305] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ironman New Orleans 70.3 on October 22nd. I'm registered. I completed the race last April in difficult conditions (30mph sustained winds). They moved it to late October, due to more favorable weather conditions that time of year in New Orleans. I'm looking forward to another crack at this one!
Quote Reply
Re: new orleans escape series race cancelled.....alternative suggestions? [gphin305] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well that sucks. My wife and I were considering doing the sprint.

80/20 Endurance Ambassador
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Brett Robinson in Gulf Shores, AL is September 9. Great Olympic race, swim in the Gulf, bike and run flat and fast.

The New Orleans half Ironman is the same company as the Escape. And they're offering big discounts on the 70.3. So probably not enough racers? There's nothing typically New Orleans about that race, and weather was rough last year. But it's flat as can be, and the swim will probably be a bit better than last year.

NO
Quote Reply
Re: new orleans escape series race cancelled.....alternative suggestions? [Alabama Viking] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Is the NOLA half Ironman at risk????? Will be my first HIM and would not be to excited if it were cancelled.
Quote Reply
Re: new orleans escape series race cancelled.....alternative suggestions? [KG6] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't see the IM being cancelled. I don't think Ironman looks too fondly on race cancellation unless due to dangerous conditions.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you read the email it says you can transfer your entry to IM 70.3 New Orleans which is just 3 weeks later and they include an additional $99 incentive. So since youve already paid for escape you can do an IM for as little as $100.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I was going to do Escape N.O., too. I am also signed up for the NOLA 70.3, which I recommend. It's a well-run race on a totally closed course.

The race itself is not very New Orleansy, as someone else said, because it takes place on the outskirts of the city. But New Orleans is still there when you're done, which makes it better than most places. I stayed in Panama City Beach for a few days after IMFL, and there may not be a bleaker place on earth in November than PCB.

Late October should be a great time for a New Orleans half-ironman. This race has always been in the late spring and HOT and usually very windy. October can be breezy, but should be much cooler.

<The Dew Abides>
Quote Reply
Re: new orleans escape series race cancelled.....alternative suggestions? [dewman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I actually didn't know much about NOLA 70.3 when I lived in Louisiana (wasn't into triathlon yet). Kind of disappointed to see how it used to finish on Decatur street (at least one year). Have family members with an apartment overlooking Jackson Square so it would have been perfect for the family. Where it is now is certainly not "touristy". But at least we'll get to spend a few nights back home with friends/family after the race.
Quote Reply
Re: new orleans escape series race cancelled.....alternative suggestions? [KG6] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah, it was definitely a better course in the first few years -- finishing in the French Quarter the first two or three years, then in City Park one year. The city's fees (police, etc.) for doing a race in the French Quarter are much too high these says. I don't think there are any races that enter the FQ anymore.

<The Dew Abides>
Quote Reply