Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

PowerTap P1 pedals zero offset growing over time
Quote | Reply
I bought a pair of PowerTap P1 pedals in June 2016, and all good for a year or so, but recently I've noticed that the zero offset has increased quite significantly. Last time I remember looking at it, probably this January it was 4N and 6N on the L and R and now it is 24N and 45N.
I asked PowerTap tech support and they told that it can happen and that's why there is the zero offset calibration in the apps but it looks wrong to me that the static force measured grew so much in a relatively short time and also that R is almost twice the L.
Any idea of why this happened and if it's something to worry about?
Thx
Simone
Last edited by: simonech: Aug 27, 17 12:32
Quote Reply
Re: PowerTap P1 pedals zero offset growing over time [simonech] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Same experience. Got my P1's in Spring 2016, and I calibrate before every ride and the offset would always result in single-digit between 4-7. Recently, it is consistently between 26-29. No idea what that means for the pedals.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How fresh are your batteries?
Quote Reply
Re: PowerTap P1 pedals zero offset growing over time [rijndael] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The pedal giving 24N is new, the one giving 45N ha around 45hrs (out of the 60-ish of avg lifetime)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Are your power readings any different? Do you feel you are putting in the same effort as before with the same power output?

blog
Quote Reply
Re: PowerTap P1 pedals zero offset growing over time [stevej] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Can't really says. Not that I can say for sure.
One other funny thing is that, comparing to KICKR, the P1 is measuring less at low/medium power (140-280) but just 4-5W but when going 360W it measures 15-20W more. Also L/R balance looks strange: when P1 measures less, i have more L over 50%, while when P1 measures more, I have the opposite behaviour. But can't say if this is my cycling or the PowerTap :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Could I ask: is that with KICKR v1 or KICKv2?

My P1s measure 15W less until around 270W when they become roughly equal and stay roughly in line to 400W (which is as high as I go in my current injured state)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Mine did the same thing before the right one completely died. This went on for a couple of months with numbers growing every once in a while.
After it was fixed offset started reading 4-6 again.

simonech wrote:
I bought a pair of PowerTap P1 pedals in June 2016, and all good for a year or so, but recently I've noticed that the zero offset has increased quite significantly. Last time I remember looking at it, probably this January it was 4N and 6N on the L and R and now it is 24N and 45N.
I asked PowerTap tech support and they told that it can happen and that's why there is the zero offset calibration in the apps but it looks wrong to me that the static force measured grew so much in a relatively short time and also that R is almost twice the L.
Any idea of why this happened and if it's something to worry about?
Thx
Simone
Quote Reply
Re: PowerTap P1 pedals zero offset growing over time [sp1ke] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What do you mean with "fixed"? Did you send it back to repair?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm not really adding to the discussion other than to give further evidence. I had mine read in the singe digits for months, than a jump into the 20's overnight. It has been holding there for a while.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes,.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I went through this and you need to send them back to PowerTao for review and, most likely, replacement.

My offset started low an then climbed likes yours and I would see power spikes in the 45000 watt range (I am a fucking monster!) and PowerTap said they knew of the issue and indicated it was the battery caps. So they sent me new coat and batteries but then the spikes increased and my L-R balanced stopped working. I demanded they look a the pedals in person and, well would ya look at that, they replaced everything but the pedal body.

Long story short, your pedals are under warranty and PowerTap needs to have them in their hands for review and service. Don't let them talk you into the battery cap and batteries option. Sen them in.

Bob
Quote Reply
Re: PowerTap P1 pedals zero offset growing over time [Macho Grande] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bob,

Questions

I was recently switching some pedals around on the bike, of a client's of my wife's. He had these pedals on his bike - Powertap P1. I had never had these pedals in my hands before or looked at them that closely.

I've heard great things about them as a power measuring device but:

- Wow! These things are heavy. It was a bit of a shock holding these in my hand compared to say, by feathery light Look Carbon Blade2 pedals.

- What is the stack height on these? It seemed high, but that may have been an optical illusion to . .

- The large built-up and bulky area (holding all of the power metering goods) below the pedal - this is all sticking directly out into the wind stream. Again - there's very little sticking out below my Looks (or say the Speedplay pedals) - it all seems more aerodynamic than with the Powertap pedals.

Just curious after a first exposure.

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply
Re: PowerTap P1 pedals zero offset growing over time [Fleck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Steve:

I think when you buy into the P!'s you do so with some of the tradeoffs you mentioned below.

1) Yes, they are heavier than KeO Blades and you need to use the PowerTap cleat but the pedals are so dang easy to move from bike to bike that

2) I did not notice a difference in stack height but I can look into it. I *think* they are comparable to the KeO I was using before I switched. Now that said, when my P1's were being serviced I did noted the weight difference. In order to offset that i ate some more donuts that week.

3) As for the aero-ness of the pedal, I have zero clue and if I am worrying about that I need to eat fewer donuts and train more. Seriously though, I doubt one could measure that since there is no way to control for all conditions.

Also, I have to say that PowerTap customer service is exceptional. When I fell for the battery cap replacement first step I should have insisted they take the pedals but did not. I was quite upset when my data from a 107 mile ride on the IMMD course was corrupted and they understood my mood when I called the next day. I have used the pedals for the last three weeks with zero issues and calibration offsets in the low singe digits.

B
Quote Reply
Re: PowerTap P1 pedals zero offset growing over time [Fleck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
A little more-of-the-same to the above post...
Fleck wrote:
Wow! These things are heavy. It was a bit of a shock holding these in my hand compared to say, by feathery light Look Carbon Blade2 pedals.
You need to compare the incremental weights of adding an alternative PM to the P1 pedals versus non-PM pedals. Or, compare the weight to a Vector 2. Although the pedals themselves are heavier than standard pedals, some of that would be offset by the incremental weight of an alternative hub or crank power meter.
Fleck wrote:
What is the stack height on these?
Stack height is 14mm. It is a little taller than standard pedals, but not way out of line.
Fleck wrote:
The large built-up and bulky area (holding all of the power metering goods) below the pedal - this is all sticking directly out into the wind stream. Again - there's very little sticking out below my Looks (or say the Speedplay pedals) - it all seems more aerodynamic than with the Powertap pedals.
I think that is also a valid observation. Though, I have never seen a review that commented on the aerodynamics impacts of P1 pedals versus other alternative power meters. Hubs seem like they would be aero-neutral. But cranks and crank arm PMs would probably have some additional aerodynamic impacts.

The macro things to consider is that the P1 pedals are the easiest to switch between bikes (other than a hub, but the hub does limit wheel options). And, the P1 pedals give you actual L/R power. If switching between bikes is a non-factor, then there are some great crank meters. However, crank meters only estimate L/R power (they do give you accurate total power, which is more important than L/R).
Quote Reply
Re: PowerTap P1 pedals zero offset growing over time [exxxviii] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
exxxviii wrote:
However, crank meters only estimate L/R power (they do give you accurate total power, which is more important than L/R).
That's true for spider-based power meters, but I'm pretty sure you get true L/R power with dual crank-arm power meters such as Pioneer.
Quote Reply
Re: PowerTap P1 pedals zero offset growing over time [jsk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jsk wrote:
exxxviii wrote:
However, crank meters only estimate L/R power (they do give you accurate total power, which is more important than L/R).

That's true for spider-based power meters, but I'm pretty sure you get true L/R power with dual crank-arm power meters such as Pioneer.

You are right... I just did a broad generalization with spider in mind. The crank arm meters do not seem to have the same degree of popularity as the spider meters. Pioneer, (now) Stages, 4iiii (I think), and a few other specialty makers have dual crank arm with true L/R power.
Last edited by: exxxviii: Aug 28, 17 10:07
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Mine has climbed from 10 to 30 from April to August.
My bike is stored in an unheated garage, so I attributed it to the increasing temperatures, but I don't know what it is.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Same experience here. Also have this happen with my 2 powertap wheelsets. Calibration number gets further and further out and they need to be sent back to Powertap to be recalibrated or repaired. It's annoying because it costs me the shipping each time and now out of warranty so hesitant to send back.
Quote Reply
Re: PowerTap P1 pedals zero offset growing over time [sp1ke] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ok, thx
well.. being in Europe and having bought it at CleverTraining.uk I don't have the option of sending it for re-calibration but only sending it back to the retailer which is just willing to give me back the money I spent.
Now if I get the money back, not sure I want to buy P1 one again. They are super-convenient when having multiple bikes, but if they only last one year before getting off with the calibration, it's pretty worrying.
Quote Reply
Re: PowerTap P1 pedals zero offset growing over time [BigHammer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BigHammer wrote:
Could I ask: is that with KICKR v1 or KICKv2?

My P1s measure 15W less until around 270W when they become roughly equal and stay roughly in line to 400W (which is as high as I go in my current injured state)

It's against the v1 but with latest firmware update and after advanced spindown. Before it was constantly 15W below indeed. Now it is pretty ok.
Apart from when it goes higher where P1 is higher.
You can have a look at a comparison I made:
https://analyze.dcrainmaker.com/...89-52f6-212544114347
Quote Reply