Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Remember when we had to stop asking job applicants if they've been convicted of a crime?
Quote | Reply
It suppose to help excons get jobs.

Well, I'll be damned if those unintended consequences didn't rear their ugly heads.

Part of the problem with government "fixes of many of our "problems" is that these fixes fail to consider human nature....

https://www.nytimes.com/...lly-increase-it.html

Quote:
Policies aimed at ending discrimination against people with criminal records may actually have the unintended consequence of increasing racial discrimination.

Employers just aren't hiring young black men (just to be safe)...

Civilize the mind, but make savage the body.

- Chinese proverb
Quote Reply
Re: Remember when we had to stop asking job applicants if they've been convicted of a crime? [Duffy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The other part of the problem is that people want to work/live/play with people similar to themselves. If a white manager is looking at two similar resumes, one for Malcom X, and the other for John Hinckley, my .02 says Johnny boy gets the job...

"In a series of experiments with approximately 200 Midwestern students as our subjects, we found that they favor those who are similar to them on any of a wide range of categories of identity over those who are not like them"

"The great pleasure in life is doing what people say you cannot do."
Quote Reply
Re: Remember when we had to stop asking job applicants if they've been convicted of a crime? [jkca1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jkca1 wrote:
The other part of the problem is that people want to work/live/play with people similar to themselves. If a white manager is looking at two similar resumes, one for Malcom X, and the other for John Hinckley, my .02 says Johnny boy gets the job...

"In a series of experiments with approximately 200 Midwestern students as our subjects, we found that they favor those who are similar to them on any of a wide range of categories of identity over those who are not like them"

So in your theory, Felons should have no problem getting jobs, right?
Quote Reply