Prev Next
Re: Tips for running with a dog please [bigjo_NZ] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
1) Get a dog that loves to run

2) Don't get a dog that doesn't like to run
Quote Reply
Re: Tips for running with a dog please [bigjo_NZ] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I also ordered the iron doggy based on this thread. Got the second leash and went for a run with my 2 labs. It was the first time running with the dogs on leash was pleasant. Plus, midway through the run, a pretty young lady driving by opined her window and yelled, “niiiiiiiice” while nodding emphatically. Sadly, that never happens when I run alone. I was sold!
Quote Reply
Re: Tips for running with a dog please [RangerGress] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RangerGress wrote:
I'm now training my 3rd dog for running off leash. This one is an Aussie Cattle Dog. We live in the suburbs with a fair # of busy streets that we have to cross. We often pass other people walking dogs, cars often drive by, and runners often run by. Rules:
-Not allowed to cross certain streets w/o me. These are the busy streets. If she gets to the street before me, she must sit before entering the street. I will give her an explicit command when we will cross the street.

-Not allowed to socialize with other dogs while we are running.

-Can't go near other people that we might encounter.

-Usually we run in the street, but if I move over to the sidewalk, she must move to the sidewalk to. This is how we avoid cars.

-Can't get further than 30m from me.

It takes a couple months either running or walking every other day to get to the point that the dog is pretty much error free. The last thing that gets fixed is always the distractions. The dog wants to go play with people running around or dogs that are being walked. I do the training with treats. Sometimes I have to put a shock collar on also. The collar responds to a little handheld xmitter.

A lot of people seem to have problems understanding how to train dogs. It's really easy. Every time they do something right, reward. Every time they do something wrong, punish. Often the punishment can be as minor as a very close range "glare" right in their eyes. The important thing is that know that what they did is unacceptable.

Never ever let the dog get away with failing to obey. Have the discipline to resolve this every single time it occurs, w/o fail.nOne way or another, you have to regain control. Usually that just means walking up to the dog and glaring at her. Then say "sit", and she'll prob do it because she knows you're annoyed. If she doesn't do it, shove her ass down on the ground. Then tell her to Stay, walk 10m away, and tell her to Come. This assumes that these are all tried and true commands. If those are not tried and true, she's not ready to be off leash. Now that she is obeying commands again, you've regained control of the situation.

The beauty of the shock collar is that you can apply punishment even tho she is out of arms reach. So if she crosses the street to go play with children and ignored your command "Come", zap her. The shock collar provides a clear link between what she did wrong and punishment. That clarity does the dog a huge service. Another example. Dog gets well out of your designated "range". For me, that's 30m. Instead of calling her, zap her. What you can't do is let her get out of range, tell her to Come, and then chastise her when she gets to you. The reason this doesn't work is that you told her to Come, she did what you asked, then you punished her. If you create situations like that by not carefully thinking thru what you're doing, you'll create chaos and the dog will have no idea what it is that you want.

Some folks wring their hands over the idea of putting a shock collar on their dog. Used correctly, it's a fabulous training aid. It very much helps you avoid confusing, ambiguous situations for your dog, where it's not clear to the dog what they are being punished or praised for. You can set the severity of the shock so it's easy to set it to a level that seems to get the dog's attention w/o really bothering it much. You'll probably find that you have to set it to a much higher threshold than you thought.

After a couple months of training, the treats will go away, and I only need the shock collar maybe once every 6 months. The dog will start pushing the envelope on how far she can wander away during a run and a zap reminds her. One zap and she's good for another 6 months.

This is fantastic. Thx for the full detailed summary.
We've got 2 dogs, and I've wanted to run with them a bit - think I'll give it a try soon.
We already have a shock collar, so I just need the run leash (or 2).

float , hammer , and jog

Quote Reply
Re: Tips for running with a dog please [sylvius] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I felt the same way when I used it for the first time. I absolutely love my dog but would get so frustrated and mad at her when she didn't run nicely on the lead, I haven't felt like I want to trottle her while using the Iron Doggy.
I was initially concerned about how much the lead weighed that it would be a pain to run with but has actually been fine and enjoying running with her makes it all worthwhile :)
Quote Reply
Re: Tips for running with a dog please [Murphy'sLaw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Training the cattle dog, now 8mos old, to run with me safely continues. The cattle dog has turned out to be highly motivated by food. So I always take a baggy with me that has a little dog food in it, and every time she does something right, she gets a little kernel of food. She's extremely high spirited tho, so in order to set her up for success, I have to see problems coming. When we pass another dog or there's a runner coming our way, I get her attention. She knows that I have a kernel of food in my hand so from, say, 10m away, she's watching me, not the other dog or the runner, at their closest approach. Then it's "good girl" and she gets the kernel of chow.

Sometimes she's right with me, sometimes ahead and sometimes forward. I try to give her ~30m, but if she gets out of sight, say behind some bushes, I call to her and give her a piece of dogfood when she comes.

I have to be particularly vigilant at the busy street corners. If she is ahead of me, I have to watch what she is paying attention to. If we're approaching a busy street, and she's in front of me, looking forward, she may see a squirrel on the other side of the street and bolt for it. So as we approach busy streets, I have to watch what she's paying attention to and see potential trouble coming. Then I just call to her and that's enough to remind her that I always have a bit of dogfood in my hand. That little reminder puts her on her best behavior and by now she knows well that she's never to cross a street until she hears "ok" and I move forward.

So with this dog, praise had less of an effect on her than the labs, and she's so motivated by chow that it's pretty easy to avoid a situation that would require punishment. I just have to see trouble coming and, just as she's thinking about doing something wrong, reminding her that you're the source of treats.

She routinely runs 6-8mi with me, is perfectly happy to run in the low 80's and dismisses my attempts to give her water during the run.

Books @ Amazon
"If only he had used his genius for niceness, instead of Evil." M. Smart
Quote Reply

Prev Next