Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

How long to break in running shoes
Quote | Reply
Didn't time it quite well as I was undecided about running in my hoka's for my first IM and now that I want to the ones I own are pretty worn down on the sole. Thinking of buying a new pair a month out. Is this a bad idea? I guess I've never had issues with new shoes previously. I obviously have some long runs and wouldnt want to start out on them running 20 miles but I can wear them for pet of my long runs and change out.
Quote Reply
Re: How long to break in running shoes [mickison] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Get you new sneakers now and you will be fine.

Team Zoot
2019 Sponsors: Canyon Bikes, Garmin, Smith Optics, Gatorade, Zealios Skin Care & Sun Protection, Speedfill Products, Base Performance, Ottolock, Theragun, Boco Gear, ORR Carbon Wheel Systems, Giddy Up Multisport
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Frankly, if I have as little as 1 hour in them and they felt fine then no issue. This is assuming its the same model and model year as usually run in.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You'll be fine. You will know with a couple runs if you will have any issues. It wasn't intended, but I did a training run for an ultra in a brand new pair of shoes, purchased on a Sat, ran 39 miles in them the next day, and had no issues. The shoes don't need breaking in, sometimes our feet need to get broken in to the shoes.
Quote Reply
Re: How long to break in running shoes [CBJFan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yep. Same shoe. Never had issues before but wasn't training for IM before.
Quote Reply
Re: How long to break in running shoes [Johnny21] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah. I use hoka's for my longer runs then if I'm doing track work I have some new balance that are smaller than hoka's. I stick with the same two models and don't ever remember having issues breaking them in
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It depends on how worn down the outer sole is - if there is a lot of wear, the new shoes could be quite different (even if they are the same model).

I use Hokas and know the outer sole can get worn down quite a bit.

Start using the new shoes on your short runs eventually working them in for long runs.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I was in the same situation and like my shoes best after 30-50 miles. I ended up wearing them to work for about a week to help since I was already tapering and it seemed to speed up the process.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If they are the same make and model as what I have been wearing, I have taken a new pair out of the box, laced them up and run 26.2 in them, without any issues.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

I raced itu lc worlds today (18mi run) in a brand new pair of zoot kiawe.. sockless. It's been my go to racing shoe for the past two years.

mickison wrote:
Didn't time it quite well as I was undecided about running in my hoka's for my first IM and now that I want to the ones I own are pretty worn down on the sole. Thinking of buying a new pair a month out. Is this a bad idea? I guess I've never had issues with new shoes previously. I obviously have some long runs and wouldnt want to start out on them running 20 miles but I can wear them for pet of my long runs and change out.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't "break" in new running shoes. Sometimes when I have to get a different model, new brand, etc. I encounter issues. Otherwise a shoe I've used before or currently run in.... I just start running in them.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you're getting the same shoe, you should only need a couple of short runs in them before your race.
The whole "break-in" period of running shoes is kind of a myth. They should feel good on the first run. Anything that feels off usually only gets worse as you run more in them.

Shawn
TORRE Consulting Services, LLC
http://www.TORREcs.com

Quote Reply
Re: How long to break in running shoes [Shufflin_along] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Shufflin_along wrote:
If they are the same make and model as what I have been wearing, I have taken a new pair out of the box, laced them up and run 26.2 in them, without any issues.

^This

I've laced up a new pair of hokas and worn them for the first time in my last 3 HIMs.....and I plan on doing the same thing for IM LOU.
Quote Reply
Re: How long to break in running shoes [Shufflin_along] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Shufflin_along wrote:

I have had issues with shoes of the same make, model, and obviously size. I have been running in Saucony Zealot 1's for a long time now and really like them. A couple pairs ago, I got a paid that I described as "a lemon". I donno what it was about that paid, but got tons of blisters and a couple black toenails. The next pair I got, no more issues. I donno if they were defective, if I laced them too tight, or what the deal was but I hated that pair, haha.

WRT break in, I always do a few shorter runs in a new pair before doing a long run. I had an issue where I did a long run in a brand new pair and simply didn't loosen the laces around the toe box enough before the long run and the top of my foot hurt for over a week as a result. Shorter runs allow you to sort out things like that before doing any damage on a longer run. For race shoes, I like to get one long run in with the shoes before the race and try to race on the shoes after 40 miles in them or so.
Quote Reply