Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

New PR6 or keep the Shiv
Quote | Reply
So had a bad crash that destroyed my old Zipp Aerobars & Extensions, everything else OK....so contemplating the two options

a) New TriRig Alpha cockpit (or maybe a Zipp Vuka) on the 2016 Shiv, keeping the rest of the mechanical 11Spd
b) Have an opportunity to buy a new QR PR6 Ultegra Di2 at half the cost

So spend $1400 on Option A
Or Spend $4800 on Option B and then sell the Shiv to help recoup some cost.
Option B can be financed interest free over 12 or 24 months.

Electronic Shifting still concerns me on reliability and less money is....well less money.
But it's such a great opportunity to get the QR PR6 and that opportunity will be gone in 1 month.

What to do....????
Quote Reply
Re: New PR6 or keep the Shiv [bicyclpete] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think you're comparing two very different bikes. The Shiv fit is, imo, a little unconventional. Short top tube, tall head tube. Perfect for me, but not so perfect for an aggressive position. Does the Shiv fit you well or do you want to stretch your torso out more and also get lower?

Books @ Amazon
"If only he had used his genius for niceness, instead of Evil." M. Smart
Quote Reply
Re: New PR6 or keep the Shiv [RangerGress] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Good point and I do know they are quite different. I have been contemplating this for a while.
My position is not super low and not looking to go a lot lower....but was considering going longer so I can roll my pelvis.
I am currently running a 110 stem and have always felt a little crunched up. But this is also a position I have been in for 5+ years and it feels "normal".
Been fitted by two guys, but the second fit was probably constrained to the current cockpit with rusted/locked hardware so there were no real adjustments.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a 2016 shiv with an Alpha X cockpit and I'm very happy. Having said that, a new bike is a lot nicer than an old bike with a new cockpit.

If it were me, I'd do the aerobars and the brakes if you haven't already swapped them out to Omega's, and you've got enough money left for a budget destination race.
Quote Reply
Re: New PR6 or keep the Shiv [captain-tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Captain-Tri
Can you send me some pictures of your cockpit from different angles?
bicyclpete_at_hotmail_dot_com or post them here
Guess I'm interested in how the the cables are routed and how the whole thing looks.
Did you use the gamma extensions too?

I do already have the Omega brakes which is why I'm leaning toward the alpha X versus something could actually get a bit cheaper.

Actually doing Kona for the first time, so saving money is not a bad idea.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Pics sent, let me know if you need anything else.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I know it isn't a game changer but once you go to electronic gears you will think how did I ever live without this!!!
Quote Reply
Re: New PR6 or keep the Shiv [Shambolic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Shambolic wrote:
I know it isn't a game changer but once you go to electronic gears you will think how did I ever live without this!!!

Ya electronic is completely unnecessary, but nice to have. I finally broke down and upgraded the road and the TT bike this year. I did Campy on the road bike and ETap on the TT bike. Not having wires, junction boxes and internal batteies is Sooooo much nicer. I have never been a SRAM fan, but ETap is the bomb.
Quote Reply
Re: New PR6 or keep the Shiv [Shambolic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Shambolic wrote:

X2
I have a new PR6 special edition and love it!!!! DI2 all the way.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well I'm not impartial but I vote the PR6 :)
It really is an amazing bike and QR is AMAZING to work with. They will be at Kona as well so you can take your bike to them before the race to double check everything etc.
new bike is always the right option.
Quote Reply