Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Should I report this loser who buzzed me while texting & driving? [davejustdave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Cycliq also make a rear light / camera the Fly6. It does not have the option to add tramlines. However it allows you to see the car coming up behind you and then the Fly 12 shows you from the front.

When I was looking for a bike camera I found that most of them only had a 1-2 hour battery life which is not long enough. The Fly12 lasts 10 hours and the Fly6 lasts 6 hours.
Quote Reply
Re: Should I report this loser who buzzed me while texting & driving? [Ironnerd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ironnerd wrote:
OddSlug wrote:
Ironnerd wrote:

The Cycliq Fly12 light/camera has the option to add "tramlines" to the video so that you can see if a car passes too close.

It's a nice idea but it clearly isn't working in that image. If it was as simple as drawing straight lines on a photo you wouldn't need a camera with that function you'd just do the maths and be able to work out all the distances you wanted as a post process.

I pulled that image from the DC Rainmaker website. He thinks that the distance lines are accurate. When I first got my Fly12 I drew some chalk marks on the ground in front of my bike and they lined up pretty close to the lines that the Fly12 adds.

Doing the math with a photo is not trivial. You need an object in the photo that you know the exact size of, which then allows you to calculate a scale.

What DC Rainmaker says is that that the lines are good close to the camera but could 'probably use a bit of work' further away. But I think he's being diplomatic. This image is also from his review.

My point being nobody is going to get convicted because it is obviously off. Parallel lines appear to meet at infinity. Which is effectively the horizon. You can see that the road markings pretty much would meet at the horizon. The virtual lines would meet another few meters up the road. If the red lines worked the implication is that if a driver followed the left side red line they would of ridden maintaining the same traffic lane. In practice they would of moved in front of the cyclist.

I think you missed my point about the maths. The lines are effectively using simple maths to try and show the gap. The reason they do not work is because it is not that simple. Why would I need to know the size of an object in the image to calculate scale but the two straight lines can be drawn without the same information? The reason is that the designers must of made assumptions about where the camera is mounted and pointed. Also that the assumption that the road is flat. Obviously you could draw different simple lines to be accurate in the above example, or you might find a situation where they do work (your chalk lines), but they would be off as soon as the variables changed.

Incidentally it's actually very similar geometry to trying to show the drafting gap in the same way.
Quote Reply
Re: Should I report this loser who buzzed me while texting & driving? [nickwhite] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
see nothing wrong with that pass................if there was traffic, you expect no one to pass you then?
Quote Reply
Re: Should I report this loser who buzzed me while texting & driving? [niccolo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This pass would have not bothered me at all either. However, it's only my opinion.
Quote Reply
Re: Should I report this loser who buzzed me while texting & driving? [OddSlug] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
OddSlug wrote:
Ironnerd wrote:
OddSlug wrote:
Ironnerd wrote:

The Cycliq Fly12 light/camera has the option to add "tramlines" to the video so that you can see if a car passes too close.

It's a nice idea but it clearly isn't working in that image. If it was as simple as drawing straight lines on a photo you wouldn't need a camera with that function you'd just do the maths and be able to work out all the distances you wanted as a post process.

I pulled that image from the DC Rainmaker website. He thinks that the distance lines are accurate. When I first got my Fly12 I drew some chalk marks on the ground in front of my bike and they lined up pretty close to the lines that the Fly12 adds.

Doing the math with a photo is not trivial. You need an object in the photo that you know the exact size of, which then allows you to calculate a scale.

What DC Rainmaker says is that that the lines are good close to the camera but could 'probably use a bit of work' further away. But I think he's being diplomatic. This image is also from his review.

My point being nobody is going to get convicted because it is obviously off. Parallel lines appear to meet at infinity. Which is effectively the horizon. You can see that the road markings pretty much would meet at the horizon. The virtual lines would meet another few meters up the road. If the red lines worked the implication is that if a driver followed the left side red line they would of ridden maintaining the same traffic lane. In practice they would of moved in front of the cyclist.

I think you missed my point about the maths. The lines are effectively using simple maths to try and show the gap. The reason they do not work is because it is not that simple. Why would I need to know the size of an object in the image to calculate scale but the two straight lines can be drawn without the same information? The reason is that the designers must of made assumptions about where the camera is mounted and pointed. Also that the assumption that the road is flat. Obviously you could draw different simple lines to be accurate in the above example, or you might find a situation where they do work (your chalk lines), but they would be off as soon as the variables changed.

Incidentally it's actually very similar geometry to trying to show the drafting gap in the same way.

In the software you enter the height of the camera and the distance from the middle of the bike. The software uses this information along with the focal length of the camera to calculate where the tramlines should go. There are been several firmware upgrades over the last 12 months that may have made the software more accurate. I find that if my camera is mounted close to horizontal the tramlines are more accurate than if I have the camera pointing down.

The important point is that the camera seems to be accurate close to the bike where a close pass is recorded. It does not matter how accurate the tramlines are at a distance. The UK police have used the Fly12 as an education tool and have prosecuted some drivers. Different courts may view the accuracy and the admissibility of the footage differently.

The Fly12/Fly6 are also very useful in an accident as it can show who is at fault.

https://cycliq.com/blogs/west-midlands-police-use-cycliq-cameras-in-much-praised-operation-close-pass/

Quote Reply
Re: Should I report this loser who buzzed me while texting & driving? [nickwhite] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes, but don't expect much to happen.

Remember in Nc we now have a 4 ft rule on a double yellow line.

See: http://forum.slowtwitch.com/...c%20bicycle#p6400622

David
* Ironman for Life! (Blog) * IM Everyday Hero Video * Daggett Shuler Law *
Disclaimer: I have personal and professional relationships with many athletes, vendors, and organizations in the triathlon world.
Quote Reply
Re: Should I report this loser who buzzed me while texting & driving? [Mike.A] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Mike.A wrote:
Driver could have given more room but I was expecting worse. When I hear "buzzed" I'm thinking the vehicle is almost close enough to reach out and touch.

I'm also on the side of "that's not too bad". As drivers around here go, on a scale of "buzzed me" to "that was a courteous pass" I'd but this one about in the middle.

One night last week I had a paving truck pulling an excavator pass me with about 10 inches of clearance. thankfully I am able to ride a straight line and am still here to talk about it. That to me was "buzzed".
Quote Reply
Re: Should I report this loser who buzzed me while texting & driving? [Fendalton] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Fendalton wrote:
This pass would have not bothered me at all either. However, it's only my opinion.

If I was in a residential area where cars were doing 25, not a big deal. When cars are going a lot faster than bikes - like in that video - they should leave more room.

However, the most concerning thing was the driver texting. It's unfortunate the video doesn't clearly show that -- another good reason to have the rear facing camera.
Last edited by: spudone: Aug 27, 17 18:00
Quote Reply
Re: Should I report this loser who buzzed me while texting & driving? [davejustdave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ever looked at 3 feet? That was definitely 3 feet.

Safe distance for that speed, no - but 3 feet, absolutely.
Quote Reply
Re: Should I report this loser who buzzed me while texting & driving? [gaukler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Probably be tough to make anything stick, but it just looks like a borderline pass.

Thing is, if we ride the white line, it invites passes like this because motorists think they can squeeze through without going over the yellow line.
Quote Reply
Re: Should I report this loser who buzzed me while texting & driving? [Kenney] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Kenney wrote:
see nothing wrong with that pass................if there was traffic, you expect no one to pass you then?

If there's traffic, they can wait until it's safe to pass. Share the road doesn't mean share the lane.
Quote Reply
Re: Should I report this loser who buzzed me while texting & driving? [beastofbourbon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wonder why drivers hate cyclists
Quote Reply
Re: Should I report this loser who buzzed me while texting & driving? [beastofbourbon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bingo! The other day, riding around a heavily trafficked area in Minneapolis (at 4pm) near Lake Calhoun/Dean Pkwy, my friend and I got buzzed by a Park Nicolett (this is a HOSPITAL brand, mind) van, who then yelled "Hey @$$holes, there's a bike path over there!" and then subsequently buzzed by one of those big square Mercedes G-Wagons. Jokes on them, reported both to police with plate numbers and called the Hospital to give them the van number, time, date, location so that they will hopefully talk to the driver (doubtful, as driver will just deny).

Lately, I've had a lot of run-ins with angry motorists. Minneapolis is usually a nice place to ride, but because there are a lot of bike paths, I think it causes motorists to become angry when cyclists are on the roads. The bike paths are crowded in the afternoons with commuters (which is awesome), so when I'm out doing intervals I take the roads. In fact, despite having almost NO issues this whole summer, I've had run-ins the past two weeks. A cab honked at me in Uptown and yelled at me to get on the sidewalk - I caught up with him at the traffic light and informed him that it's actually illegal to ride on the sidewalk and legally he must pass no less than three feet from me. He swore at me and ran the red light to get away. Again - I got his cab number and reported him.

A lady in a $$$$ Mercedes downtown near the stone arch bridge yelled at my friend and I to get on the bike path - again, unsafe to do so, as we are hauling @$$. Speed limit down there is 25 or 30 (miles per hour), we were going at least 20, and then easily 30 down the hill. Well, I love stop signs and traffic because I burnt a match (that took at least 20 minutes of soft pedalling to recover from, wholly cow) and caught up with her and gave her the business. I just calmly knocked on her passenger-side window till she finally rolled it down. She didn't apologize, I told her I have her plate number and will be reporting it. I also said "next time I see YOUR kids in the street, I'll remember how you treated us!"

How important must one think of themselves and how insecure must people be who don't have 30 seconds in the day to wait and safely pass a cyclist? I get very angry when I get buzzed and it takes every bit of willpower for me to not go apesh!t and start breaking things. People are fat, lazy and angry - they don't realize that if they got on a damn bicycle that their life would drastically improve!

/thanks for letting me vent.

"The person on top of the mountain didn't fall there." - unkown

also rule 5
Last edited by: boobooaboo: Sep 2, 17 4:13
Quote Reply
Re: Should I report this loser who buzzed me while texting & driving? [boobooaboo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:

A lady in a $$$$ Mercedes downtown near the stone arch bridge yelled at my friend and I to get on the bike path - again, unsafe to do so, as we are hauling @$$. Speed limit down there is 25 or 30 (miles per hour), we were going at least 20, and then easily 30 down the hill. Well, I love stop signs and traffic because I burnt a match (that took at least 20 minutes of soft pedalling to recover from, wholly cow) and caught up with her and gave her the business. I just calmly knocked on her passenger-side window till she finally rolled it down. She didn't apologize, I told her I have her plate number and will be reporting it. I also said "next time I see YOUR kids in the street, I'll remember how you treated us!"

How important must one think of themselves and how insecure must people be who don't have 30 seconds in the day to wait and safely pass a cyclist? I get very angry when I get buzzed and it takes every bit of willpower for me to not go apesh!t and start breaking things. People are fat, lazy and angry - they don't realize that if they got on a damn bicycle that their life would drastically improve!

/thanks for letting me vent.

There ya go threaten her kids... that must make you feel real proud about yourself.
Quote Reply
Re: Should I report this loser who buzzed me while texting & driving? [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Honestly, it looks like the driver gave you plenty of room when he passed you- maybe 4-5 feet. I do the same when passing cyclists- ride with my left wheels on the yellow line so i can give them plenty of room and not cross into oncoming traffic.
Quote Reply
Re: Should I report this loser who buzzed me while texting & driving? [Grant.Reuter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You draw the wrong conclusion. It's not a threat, it's a reminder of the "golden rule" and that being a decent human being is easy.

"The person on top of the mountain didn't fall there." - unkown

also rule 5
Quote Reply
Re: Should I report this loser who buzzed me while texting & driving? [boobooaboo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sorry that pass looked fine, maybe the camera angle made it look diff.
Quote Reply
Re: Should I report this loser who buzzed me while texting & driving? [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Definitely, even if nothing is done most people will be on notice after something like this that bikes might just have a camera to catch their crap. SO maybe the next guy will catch a break and not get run over..

Agreed.

When you stand back and look at a lot of motorist behaviour, it appears that they assume they will not get caught or called out! Thus they can do whatever they like.

Confrontation even polite and nice confrontation, is useless - they will either laugh or tell you to F-off, even though they may have been in the wrong and just nearly severely injured you. It's something about being in a car and behind the wheel. They THINK they are anonymous but they are not. They are Driving in Car Model-X, with License plate Number-Y and it's all on record somewhere.

So REPORT EVERYTHING - whenever you do encounter this.

I know it seems useless. Local Police forces will or will not do something about it. But our vigilance and constant reporting WILL help in the long run. Motorists need to be accountable and responsible for what they do and their behavior!

In Canada in many jurisdictions now there is an anonymous reporting service. I make 3 - 4 reports on this a year! Go to RoadWatch.ca

The police will contact you and do some verification, and they will send a note to the driver by mail - there can be no charges laid with this - but imagine the surprise of the driver when they get that note in the mail that they buzzed the cyclist 3 weeks ago!! If they get several of those notices, the police will visit them, and have talk with them. It ALL goes on their record so even when they pulled over for a Road Side Check or some other reason, ALL of that info is on their record and the officer who does pull them over will see that when they pull up their info!!

In short . . . it all helps!

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Last edited by: Fleck: Sep 3, 17 10:20
Quote Reply
Re: Should I report this loser who buzzed me while texting & driving? [Zissou] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Zissou wrote:
Honestly, it looks like the driver gave you plenty of room when he passed you- maybe 4-5 feet. I do the same when passing cyclists- ride with my left wheels on the yellow line so i can give them plenty of room and not cross into oncoming traffic.

Seriously, WTF is wrong with you people expecting to pass cyclists without going over the yellow line?!

Around here, most lanes are 10 feet wide. A car is 6 feet wide, so if the right edge of my bars is directly over the very edge of the pavement, that's only 2.5 feet of daylight.

A motorist thinking he can safely squeeze between a bike and an oncoming car is delusional. I can't believe there are delusional motorists on a triathlon board. Do you people disengage your brains as soon as you dismount the bike?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Woah, relax compadre.

It's highly dependent on the road. Most of the roadways around me have some shoulder to them, so cyclists can either ride on or a bit right of the white line. Passing with my left wheels on the yellow, or just over gives plenty of clearance in this case if it is a 25 or 35-mph speed limit area. If I need to give more room, or it's a higher-speed road ( i.e. 45mph or greater speed limit) I will definitely go into the opposite lane, often fully into the lane if there are no cars approaching. If it is busy, I will wait and pass when able.

Dependent on the size of your car as well- would be different if you drive a giant SUV. Which I do not.

My point ( maybe a lame attempt on my part) was that in the video it looked like the motorist did not seem to do anything wrong for that road and speed. ( outside of possibly texting of course). I think the cyclist over reacted. .

However, that being said, I will fully admit that my brain can often be disengaged, on or off the bike.
Quote Reply

Prev Next