Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Parents Giving Their Babies Unusual Names: Should They? [satanellus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was at a Starbucks a couple of weeks ago and the girl taking my order was named Trystanny. I'm pretty sure my "Ow, sorry your parents did that to you" cringe after reading her nametag didn't go unnoticed.

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Quote Reply
Re: Parents Giving Their Babies Unusual Names: Should They? [satanellus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
satanellus wrote:
A few year's ago I found a cheap camera with "Jihad" written on it. I asked a teacher surpervising a school excursion if it belonged to one of her students. She thanked me and called out "Jihad" and one the children responded.

Given that my workplace would often attract schools with a significant Muslim enrollment, I was surprised when it was a blond-haired, blue-eyed, very Anglo-looking kid who owned the camera.

I'm not sure what (or if) his parents were thinking when they named him. Did they just like how Jihad sounded phonetically without any understanding of the word's meanings? Were they simply ignorant?

I can only imagine this child may have some difficulties traveling on a passport with that name.

I don't know why a non-Arab/non-Muslim would be named "Jihad" unless the parents are trying to make some sort of statement of solidarity with the Ummah (the worldwide community of Muslims). Kind of foolish to do so here in the West at least until we here in Dar al-Harb ( variously, the Land of War, land of the unbelievers or land of the infidels) come to reside in Dar al-Islam (Land of Islam, where the Muslims rule). ;-)

I've also had several ethnic Arab airline employees of mine in the past whose formal first names were "Jihad" and all them were fun-loving dudes. :-) It's kind of like us naming our kids Johnny in that regard. Same for Osama (common in parts of the M.E.) and Mohammed (way, way common).

Generally, they Americanized their names to "Jimmy" (for "Jihad"), "Sammy" (for "Osama") and "Mike" or "Moe" for "Mohammed." And they were happy to save their money up for a shiny new Corvette, gold chains and a nice house in the suburbs with an in-ground pool in the backyard. LOL!

"Politics is just show business for ugly people."
Quote Reply
Re: Parents Giving Their Babies Unusual Names: Should They? [big kahuna] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Brawndo, Beef Supreme, Frito, Camacho...
Quote Reply
Re: Parents Giving Their Babies Unusual Names: Should They? [big kahuna] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My sister-in-law is a labor and delivery nurse and a few years ago had a patient that named her newborn daughter, Vagina. The nurses talked to the new mom to get her to change the name but they had no luck. The lady had no idea of what a vagina was. Baby Vagina should be starting school next year.

My wife just retired as a third grade teacher in an inner-city school. She had a student with the name of Onasty, pronounced honesty.
Quote Reply
Re: Parents Giving Their Babies Unusual Names: Should They? [Go Pound Sand] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Go Pound Sand wrote:
My sister-in-law is a labor and delivery nurse and a few years ago had a patient that named her newborn daughter, Vagina. The nurses talked to the new mom to get her to change the name but they had no luck. The lady had no idea of what a vagina was. Baby Vagina should be starting school next year.

My wife just retired as a third grade teacher in an inner-city school. She had a student with the name of Onasty, pronounced honesty.

We have an employee whose name is Valicity. Not Felicity. Vah-licity.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
big kahuna wrote:
Dan Os Fan wrote:
At work, who names a daughter "Forever".

Uggg

I have a friend who named her daughter Nevaeh. That's "Heaven" spelled backwards. And she's not the only girl that's named Nevaeh around here. I guess it was a popular name several years ago.

As a guy who has been in health care for a long time, naming your kid Nevaeh (or Dakota, Tacoma or a host of other "different" names), will mean that your kid is statistically way more likely to die of childhood leukemia, lymphoma or some other horrible disease.

I'm kidding. But only a little. Walk through the cancer ward of a tertiary pediatric referral hospital and see how many of the kids have traditional names versus alternative names. I'm not sure why but it is real.

Just an observation.

----------------------------
Jason
None of the secrets of success will work unless you do.
Quote Reply
Re: Parents Giving Their Babies Unusual Names: Should They? [wannabefaster] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
wannabefaster wrote:
big kahuna wrote:
Dan Os Fan wrote:
At work, who names a daughter "Forever".

Uggg

I have a friend who named her daughter Nevaeh. That's "Heaven" spelled backwards. And she's not the only girl that's named Nevaeh around here. I guess it was a popular name several years ago.

As a guy who has been in health care for a long time, naming your kid Nevaeh (or Dakota, Tacoma or a host of other "different" names), will mean that your kid is statistically way more likely to die of childhood leukemia, lymphoma or some other horrible disease.

I'm kidding. But only a little. Walk through the cancer ward of a tertiary pediatric referral hospital and see how many of the kids have traditional names versus alternative names. I'm not sure why but it is real.

Just an observation.

How do the traditionall-named kids do on accuracy of prescriptions, unit doses and admixtures and administration of intravenous and similar medications? That could go two ways: 1) No one would ever confuse the meds they're supposed to get with the meds some more-traditionally named kid is supposed to receive. 2) It totally screws everything up.

Statistically, I have no idea why non-traditional-named kids would suffer higher rates of potentially fatal childhood diseases. I'm not that smart. ;-)

Quote Reply

Prev Next