Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Say it aint so Joe.. first pardon [Duffy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Duffy wrote:
FishyJoe wrote:
Duffy wrote:
Not commenting on whether or not Arpaio should be pardoned but at least Trump has the balls to pardon him now instead late at night on his last day in office (as is SOP for controversial pardons in the past).

You really believe that's not gonna happen for other possibly worse people?

I wouldn't know either way.

Wouldn't surprise me. Seems that all modern presidents have pardoned some total pieces of shit. The difference I see here is that Trump didn't do this on his last night in office and for that he deserves a tiny bit of respect.

Sure. He also loses that respect for hiding behind the hurricane to make the announcement. And for hiding behind the hurricane to announce the official transgender ban.

If you believe that he makes statements to distract from other issue then you also have to believe that he hides behind issues to make unpopular announcements.

How does Danny Hart sit down with balls that big?
Quote Reply
Re: Say it aint so Joe.. first pardon [BLeP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What did Arpaio do?

I honestly don't know and all I've heard on the radio is that he "racially profiled". I wasn't aware that a sheriff could go to prison for that.

Civilize the mind, but make savage the body.

- Chinese proverb
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Quote:
He flouted the Constitution. He disobeyed court orders. And then he bragged about it.

To understand the building outrage, particularly among civil rights groups, over the possibility that President Donald Trump would pardon former Maricopa County Sheriff Joe Arpaio, one need only return to the July criminal contempt decision against him.

It followed a decade-long case against the sheriff for racial-profiling practices in Arizona, during which Arpaio was ordered to stop targeting Latinos for traffic stops and detention.

"Not only did (Arpaio) abdicate responsibility, he announced to the world and to his subordinates that he was going to continue business as usual no matter who said otherwise," wrote US District Judge Susan Bolton in the July 31 order finding Arpaio guilty of criminal contempt.

...it is plain that Arpaio was not convicted for doing his job. He was convicted for willfully disobeying the law after a court ordered him to stop singling out drivers based on ethnicity and detaining them without charges.

He cultivated that reputation, and as Bolton's order makes clear, he was not going to let anyone tell him what to do.

Bolton's decision arose from a finding of civil contempt by US District Court Judge G. Murray Snow in the racial-profiling case of Melendres v. Arpaio, first filed in 2007. Beginning in 2011, Snow ordered Arpaio to stop detaining people based simply on a belief that they were in the country illegally, rather than suspicion that a crime has been committed.

Arpaio refused to comply, even though Maricopa County lawyers warned him about the magnitude of Snow's order and advised him not to pick up people unless grounds existed for state charges.

After the first order in 2011, Arpaio told various television reporters that he would "never give in to control by the federal government," that he would not "back down" and "if they don't like what I'm doing get the laws changed in Washington."

Bolton said that Arpaio and others in his department continued to round up people and try to turn them over to federal officials.

In 2013, as the racial profiling lawsuit was being resolved, Snow issued a permanent injunction preventing the sheriff's office from "detaining, holding, or arresting Latino occupants of vehicles in Maricopa County based on a reasonable belief, without more, that such persons were in country without authorization."

The order made clear that the sheriff lacked the authority to try to pursue immigration violations, and that Arpaio and his deputies would be violating the constitutional protections against unreasonable searches and seizures if they held people who were not suspected of committing state crimes.

Arpaio argued that he had authority to try to work with federal agencies to find immigration violations. Without agreeing with the premise, Bolton wrote that even if that were true, once Snow issued his first order in 2011 -- blocking the sheriff from picking up people for whom no criminal charges existed -- Arpaio was on notice that his practices violated Fourth Amendment rights and he had to stop the practice.

None of the warnings mattered to him, Bolton concluded, noting that Arpaio "stated on numerous occasions that he would continue to keep doing what he had been doing."

The devil made me do it the first time, second time I done it on my own - W
Quote Reply
Re: Say it aint so Joe.. first pardon [sphere] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks.

Fuck that guy.

- Chinese proverb
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Which one?

The devil made me do it the first time, second time I done it on my own - W
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
sphere wrote:
Which one?

The racist sheriff.

- Chinese proverb
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Four other selected highlights from his glittering career here. Sounds like prison is exactly where he should be.

http://www.newsweek.com/...uad-and-other-655581
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Duffy wrote:
What did Arpaio do?

I honestly don't know and all I've heard on the radio is that he "racially profiled". I wasn't aware that a sheriff could go to prison for that.

He repeatedly (for years) violated a judigital order to quit a program that stoppec people to check immigration status because they were brownish. The judge found it to be a clear violation of the 4th amendment ( the one we should actually have groups marching in favor of). After doing this for years he was found guilty of contempt.

So ignored the 4th amendment then ignored a judge.

I'm beginning to think that we are much more fucked than I thought.
Quote Reply
Re: Say it aint so Joe.. first pardon [j p o] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
j p o wrote:
Duffy wrote:
What did Arpaio do?

He repeatedly (for years) violated a judigital order to quit a program that stoppec people to check immigration status because they were brownish. The judge found it to be a clear violation of the 4th amendment ( the one we should actually have groups marching in favor of). After doing this for years he was found guilty of contempt.

Judigital?

- Chinese proverb
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Duffy wrote:
j p o wrote:
Duffy wrote:
What did Arpaio do?

Judigital?

Judigital is a word that has a clear meaning to those who are supposed to know.

Either that or my tablet has really weird autocorrect sometimes.

I'm beginning to think that we are much more fucked than I thought.
Quote Reply
Re: Say it aint so Joe.. first pardon [j p o] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So Arpaio was disobeyed an order from a computer generated judge?

Skynet!!!!

- Chinese proverb
Quote Reply
Re: Say it aint so Joe.. first pardon [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm not surprised because Trump said he would pardon the sheriff days ago.
Presidents have pardoned loathsome characters in the past. Obama's pardon of Oscar Rivera is indefensible, not to mention his pardon of a traitor. He did it to appeal to the leftists in his party, just as Trump issued his pardon to satisfy the right. I'm bewildered by the posts portraying yesterday's pardon as some uniquely dark day in American history.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Trump can't keep his mouth shut for 15 seconds but now he's strategic enough to do it during the hurricane? As if anything he does will go unnoticed.
Quote Reply
Re: Say it aint so Joe.. first pardon [PrinceMax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
PrinceMax wrote:
I'm not surprised because Trump said he would pardon the sheriff days ago.
Presidents have pardoned loathsome characters in the past. Obama's pardon of Oscar Rivera is indefensible, not to mention his pardon of a traitor. He did it to appeal to the leftists in his party, just as Trump issued his pardon to satisfy the right. I'm bewildered by the posts portraying yesterday's pardon as some uniquely dark day in American history.

When did a President last pardon a government agent who was convicted of violating the constitutional rights of US citizens?

----------------------------------
"Go yell at an M&M"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Duffy wrote:
sphere wrote:
Which one?

The racist sheriff.

this pardon has a couple of specific problems with it, on top of the fact that pretty much all presidential pardons first go through a review by the justice department.

first, this wasn't just your garden variety pardon. this is a pardon of a person who swore an oath to protect and defend the constitution, broke the law under the color of authority, was warned he was breaking the law, broke the law again, repeatedly, under the color of authority, and was finally charged and convicted. there's a special circle of hell for those who break the law after swearing an oath to defend the law. he victimized the very people he swore to defend, and i don't mean the undocumented, i mean u.s. citizens, with the same rights and you and me, whose sin was that they looked undocumented.

second, he maintained his innocence. the point of a pardon is that you are absolved of your guilt. a pardon is forgiveness of guilt. trump doesn't understand what a pardon is. it isn't that you, trump, decide that this person isn't really guilty.

if you maintain your innocence your duty is to not accept your pardon. if you accept your pardon your duty is to accept your guilt. it was not only shameful for arpaio to accept his pardon, it was wrong for the pardon to be granted to anyone who does not accept his guilt.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: Say it aint so Joe.. first pardon [Grant.Reuter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Grant.Reuter wrote:
Trump can't keep his mouth shut for 15 seconds but now he's strategic enough to do it during the hurricane? As if anything he does will go unnoticed.

I don't buy into that. I think he's too stupid.

However, if you are one of those who praise him for distractions then you must also accept that this was planned and a pussy move.

How does Danny Hart sit down with balls that big?
Quote Reply
Re: Say it aint so Joe.. first pardon [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There's nothing in your post that I disagree with.

- Chinese proverb
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Trump didn't try to sneak one by the American public. He not so subtly hinted that he'd pardon the sheriff days ago in a rally that was aired by CNN live in prime time. The hurricane coverage in the media was minor at that time. Storm coverage was a distant second to the imminent danger the U.S. was in because of centuries old statues.
Quote Reply

Prev Next