Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Saddle Pressure Mapping
Quote | Reply

I just had a road bike fit done and the fitter performed saddle pressure mapping as part of the fit. This isn't something I have read much about on here and I found it really useful (far more objective than rotating quickly through 10 saddles and asking "how does that feel? Any better?"). Basically they place a pressure pad over the saddle of the fit bike and take a look at where your weight is distributed across the saddle/ where your sit bones are while you ride and are able to see if your weight is distributed evenly or if you have far too much pressure in certain areas.

In my case, the fitter identified that I had far too much pressure on the nose of my current saddle (an ISM Road) and, by switching saddles and comparing the pressure map, was able to identify a much better suited saddle very quickly. I ended up on a saddle that I would never have expected to be riding (a Bontrager Montrose), positioned in a completely different part of the seat and with a far less angry looking pressure map (much less bright red on the map). Time will tell if this is the perfect saddle, but it sure seemed a lot less haphazard than previous approaches.

I'm curious how many of you have had saddle pressure maps done during fits and why this technology isn't discussed more on ST? Is it unproven/ new technology or are there mixed schools of thought as to whether it works? It sure seems a lot cheaper than my previous approach of buying more and more saddles and hoping that one works out.
Quote Reply
Re: Saddle Pressure Mapping [bazilbrush] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That is where an ISM saddle is supposed to have it's pressure points.
Many road frames lack enough rearward travel adjustment to ride an ISM especially in smaller sizes and those with zero setback seatposts.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Saddle pressure mapping isn't going to be accurate unless done when riding outdoors.
Quote Reply
Re: Saddle Pressure Mapping [lyrrad] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes, it was maybe that restriction on rear adjustment that they were focused on - the fitter wanted me to sit further back in general (which is awkward on an ISM unless you shift it back a lot) and distribute weight/ pressure over the saddle, rather than being perched on the nose with higher pressure on 2 small areas (the pressure map was bright red with the ISM vs a lot more blue when the saddle was switched). They also identified that this particular ISM didn't fit well with my sit bones (it was too narrow) and so all the pressure was on soft tissue areas, causing discomfort/ numbness on longer rides.

There are 10 types of people in the world. Those that understand binary and those with friends.
Quote Reply
Re: Saddle Pressure Mapping [Sausagetail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
{
Saddle pressure mapping isn't going to be accurate unless done when riding outdoors. }

Im curious as to why you think that is? How is it any different to the other aspect of fitting, all of which are done indoors?

There are 10 types of people in the world. Those that understand binary and those with friends.
Last edited by: bazilbrush: Aug 25, 17 18:15
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Had that during a fit with the adamo road, funny thing was when adjusted it before the fit I took the nose down til I didn't feel much pressure (rails almost parallel to ground).
During the mapping you could see how the pressure evened out by coming up with nose.
Area to sit is at 0 degrees. Rails go upwards in the front.

-shoki
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
bazilbrush wrote:

I just had a road bike fit done and the fitter performed saddle pressure mapping as part of the fit. This isn't something I have read much about on here and I found it really useful (far more objective than rotating quickly through 10 saddles and asking "how does that feel? Any better?"). Basically they place a pressure pad over the saddle of the fit bike and take a look at where your weight is distributed across the saddle/ where your sit bones are while you ride and are able to see if your weight is distributed evenly or if you have far too much pressure in certain areas.

In my case, the fitter identified that I had far too much pressure on the nose of my current saddle (an ISM Road) and, by switching saddles and comparing the pressure map, was able to identify a much better suited saddle very quickly. I ended up on a saddle that I would never have expected to be riding (a Bontrager Montrose), positioned in a completely different part of the seat and with a far less angry looking pressure map (much less bright red on the map). Time will tell if this is the perfect saddle, but it sure seemed a lot less haphazard than previous approaches.

I'm curious how many of you have had saddle pressure maps done during fits and why this technology isn't discussed more on ST? Is it unproven/ new technology or are there mixed schools of thought as to whether it works? It sure seems a lot cheaper than my previous approach of buying more and more saddles and hoping that one works out.
I am skeptical of pressure mapping technology as tool that can be used to determine which saddle works best for a rider. I think they are very descriptive but not prescriptive, and that's where any real value would be. And as others pointed out, what does it mean when you have "far too much pressure in certain areas" and what did the saddle mapping technology tell you that you were unable to determine by feel?

There just simply isn't a replacement for an informed fitter having the rider ride on a saddle and provide feedback, and I just don't think gebioMized will influence that process much.

That said, I know several fitters I respect that speak highly of saddle pressure mapping (specifically, gebioMized), so take my skepticism with a grain of salt. I've strongly considered purchasing to see if more experience with it changes my opinion, but haven't been able to justify the expense so far.

Trent Nix
Owned and operated Tri Shop
F.I.S.T. Advanced Certified Fitter | Retul Master Certified Fitter (back when those were things)
Last edited by: trentnix: Aug 26, 17 6:27
Quote Reply
Re: Saddle Pressure Mapping [trentnix] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trentnix wrote:
bazilbrush wrote:

I am skeptical of pressure mapping technology as tool that can be used to determine which saddle works best for a rider. I think they are very descriptive but not prescriptive, and that's where any real value would be. And as others pointed out, what does it mean when you have "far too much pressure in certain areas" and what did the saddle mapping technology tell you that you were unable to determine by feel?

There just simply isn't a replacement for an informed fitter having the rider ride on a saddle and provide feedback, and I just don't think gebioMized will influence that process much.

That said, I know several fitters I respect that speak highly of saddle pressure mapping (specifically, gebioMized), so take my skepticism with a grain of salt. I've strongly considered purchasing to see if more experience with it changes my opinion, but haven't been able to justify the expense so far.

No tool ought to be prescriptive. There are too many variables for current systems to correctly relate. Most people can't, but some people can.

Pressure mapping is a tool.
It allows the fitter to see what the subject is describing.

Instead of "Oh, the front of the saddle might have some pressure on it" or "No, everything feels OK, I guess" responses from the rider, the fitter can see what that means.

To the OP:

The fact of the matter is that the technology isn't cheap (nor is it expensive) therefore it's not ubiquitous. Additionally, it's information that is somewhat tough to utilize correctly. The majority of fitters want a tool to tell them what to do, to make them look like experts, to make the job easier. Most are unable to actually make decisions when presented with information that is outside the box.

*Caveat: I believe there are too many fitters who really shouldn't be fitting bikes. [/grumpyness]

I talk a lot - Give it a listen: http://www.fasttalklabs.com/category/fast-talk
I also give Training Advice via http://www.ForeverEndurance.com

The above poster has eschewed traditional employment and is currently undertaking the ill-conceived task of launching his own hardgoods company. Statements are not made on behalf of nor reflective of anything in any manner... unless they're good, then they count.
http://www.AGNCYINNOVATION.com
Quote Reply
Re: Saddle Pressure Mapping [xtrpickels] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Of course a tool should be prescriptive, in that the description the tool provides should inform - or prescribe - solutions. I'm not expecting it to do the work for me, I'm trying to figure out how it helps me work better.

No doubt, being able to visualize what is being described can be helpful, but I've struggled to justify it as a value-add as opposed to nice theatrics. I don't mean that as harsh as it probably reads - I just see lots of fitters getting by on the "neato" and not the actual delivery of value (a subject on which we likely agree).

It's like getting HR data in the pool - I haven't seen many coaches who are convinced of its value, and as a fitter I haven't been convinced of the value gebioMized brings. But I am very open to hearing opinions to the contrary.

Trent Nix
Owned and operated Tri Shop
F.I.S.T. Advanced Certified Fitter | Retul Master Certified Fitter (back when those were things)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My issue on that it may work for a normal saddle, but a saddle along the lines of an ISM, it would not work properly, because on the ISM saddles you do not sit on your sit bones like a normal saddle, but on your pubic rami.
Quote Reply
Re: Saddle Pressure Mapping [xtrpickels] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Are you guys using similar pressure mapping technology in conjunction with chamois design over at PI?
Quote Reply