Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Help! Tri-Rig brake clearance????
Quote | Reply
I just installed the new Tri-rig Omega X on an upgrade on my Blue Triad. After putting on my Enve 7.8 wheels with 25mm tires, the tire rubs on the brake bracket. I seem to remember other solving this issue, but couldn't find the post. Anyone able to help? My shop has been worthless, as they have not even responded to 5 phone calls, messages and even beer! Need a good shop, I think, but for now ST wizards will help.

Thanks in advance!
Quote Reply
Re: Help! Tri-Rig brake clearance???? [ggeiger] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
And yes, I have contacted Tri-Rig, but they are not always fast in getting caught up on e-mails. Looks like dremel time?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had a Triad SLR with a Tririg front and rear. If you want to run the Tririg brake...it's dremel time for you. I could only fit 23mm gp4000 as well.
Quote Reply
Re: Help! Tri-Rig brake clearance???? [New3901] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
New3901 wrote:
I had a Triad SLR with a Tririg front and rear. If you want to run the Tririg brake...it's dremel time for you. I could only fit 23mm gp4000 as well.
This may depend on when the Omega X was purchased. The current generation as of late 2015 increases tire clearance. Gary, could you respond (here or via your email) with pictures of your actual brake and DM adapters?

--
TriRig.com
Quote Reply
Re: Help! Tri-Rig brake clearance???? [TriRig] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the reply Nick! Is this shot good enough, or should I get some more for you to see what you need to? Loving the brakes, but need to solve this issue. Looks like this week's race is with a smaller tire....

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I solved the issue by filing down the arch of the bracket - it's still pretty close, but no longer rubs. But I thought the new Omega's had more clearance? Mine was the old model, and I took about 2mm off the arch.

Have attached a shot post filing - I filed just above (relative to the video) the allen bolt behind the brake cable, at an angle towards the seat post to allow the tire to clear.

Bike is not at hand, but will PM you a pic of the brake sans wheel to give you a better picture.

Edit - I'm running 25mm Continentals on it
Last edited by: shumster: Aug 26, 17 4:19
Quote Reply
Re: Help! Tri-Rig brake clearance???? [shumster] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the response. I'm not sure the manufacture date on mine, and there is another mounting plate, but it looks every bit the same. Hopefully Nick has some solution. My mechanic (did the Trek SC manual) said how much he loved the TriRig brake. So easy to adjust and a great brake, so hope we can get this sorted out. In the meantime I'm having to commit a sin by using a 23mm tire on my rear wheel. ;-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would suspect your 25mm tires on enve7.8 rims are inflating much wider. I would take a caliper and measure them. I read somewhere that if your tires are 4mm wider than your rim, then you incur a large aerodynamic penalty and almost negate the benefit of deep section rims (can't remember where though).

I have a pair of rims that measure 24.5mm on the outside. I first put 25mm conti 4ks on them, but they inflated to 28.5mm. the tire / rim difference also made it hard to install wheels with tires inflated. I now run 23mm contis that measure at 25.5 wide inflated on the same rim. The same contis run true to size on my old Fuji with skinny shimano rims.

Clincher tires will inflate to different width depending on the rim. Professional cyclists all run 25mm tires because they use tubular tires, where inflated size don't depend on the rim.
Last edited by: bloodyshogun: Aug 26, 17 7:18
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have an older Omega-X (not the newer one with supposedly more clearance) on my Triad SL. The two brackets that come with the brake _are_ different, so make sure you're using the correct one.

In addition to filing away some of the arch of the bracket, I also put a few washers between the bracket and the frame on the suggestion of another poster here in a past thread. This pushed the bracket out just enough to improve tire clearance by quite a bit.

I had to do all this just to be able to run 23c's, forget 25c's. Maybe the fact that you can run 23's without modification is due to the newer Omega-X having more clearance. Given that the 23c's actually run a little over 26mm wide on a Jet+ wheel, I don't feel like it's really so bad not being able to run 25's though.

Even if you solve this tire-height clearance issue, you may find that 25c's are too wide given the limited clearance at the seat stays. They might just barely clear with no load/force on them, but any flex when out of the saddle will likely cause rubbing. The Triad SL just wasn't designed for wide tires (something they've addressed with the new Triad Elite).
Quote Reply
Re: Help! Tri-Rig brake clearance???? [jsk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
When you are talking about tire width, what does the c refer to?
Quote Reply
Re: Help! Tri-Rig brake clearance???? [jimatbeyond] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just the rated tire width (which could be substantially different from the actual width when mounted on a particularly rim). Tires are usually sold as 700x23c or 700x25c, etc.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I thought that tire width was measured in millimeters (mm).
Quote Reply
Re: Help! Tri-Rig brake clearance???? [shumster] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
A few warnings:

Not sure how much structural stress is on the area that you filed on that brake, but I would be VERY VERY hesitant about filing any load bearing aluminum alloy parts on any brake caliper. Your life depends on your brake(s) with 100% reliability. You are potentially asking for disaster.

Then, even after your filing, the clearance between your brake and your tire is very very small. One little problem with your tire that causes it bulge even momentarily for a few mm (a broken cord, a tire cut, a partial puncture, etc.) and that tire will wedge under the brake and cause the wheel to instantly lock up. When the wheel locks up at speed, there is 99% chance that you will go down, and go down hard. If that is your bike, consider going to a smaller tire.

I don't want to be chicken little, and call me crazy, but I kinda like my front teeth ...

Advanced Aero TopTube Storage for Road, Gravel, & Tri...ZeroSlip & Direct-mount, made in the USA.
DarkSpeedWorks.com.....Reviews.....Insta.....Facebook

--
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
quote ggeiger]Thanks for the reply Nick! Is this shot good enough, or should I get some more for you to see what you need to? Loving the brakes, but need to solve this issue. Looks like this week's race is with a smaller tire....[/quote]Hi Gary,

Your brake is the current generation, but I can't tell about the DM Adapter behind it. There was a time when the new-gen brakes were shipping with the previous-gen adapters. Moreover, EVERY generation of Omega X brake shipped with two adapters - one puts the brake higher than the other. Could you post a picture of your DM adapters, by themselves?

--
TriRig.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Mine had 2 adapters. I took the one off saturday and replaced it with the other one. It was even tighter, so I did use the one with the most clearance. Am I right in assuming that the new brake does not have the adjustment on the mounting screw that the old ones did?

Gary Geiger
http://www.geigerphoto.com Professional photographer

TEAM KiWAMi NORTH AMERICA http://www.kiwamitri.com, Rudy Project http://www.rudyprojectusa.com, GU https://guenergy.com/shop/ ; Salming World Ambassador; https://www.shopsalming.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Correct. The original Omega Standard had height adjustment at the thru-bolt level, but did NOT have height adjustment at the pad level. The Omega X is just the opposite.

If you can show me a picture of either adapter, that would be helpful.

--
TriRig.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TriRig wrote:
Correct. The original Omega Standard had height adjustment at the thru-bolt level, but did NOT have height adjustment at the pad level. The Omega X is just the opposite.

If you can show me a picture of either adapter, that would be helpful.

Here's the adapters and the issue at hand. When inflated fully the 23 rubs.....(I do have the one with the MOST clearance mounted)

ETA: Width is NOT the issue; but only the middle of the tire rubbing on the brake mount.

Last edited by: ggeiger: Sep 3, 17 8:07
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the tip. I just tried the washers and it did give me the clearance.

Unfortunately another issue then appears…..

Chain now rubs on the brake and screw…… Frustrated to say the least!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ggeiger wrote:

Bummer. Just for the small chain-ring I guess? I haven't had that issue but I'm a TT'er, running 55/42 so I guess maybe the larger chainrings gave me some extra clearance (or maybe it's a framesize issue, I think I'm on a Medium).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jsk wrote:
ggeiger wrote:

Bummer. Just for the small chain-ring I guess? I haven't had that issue but I'm a TT'er, running 55/42 so I guess maybe the larger chainrings gave me some extra clearance (or maybe it's a framesize issue, I think I'm on a Medium).

Yea, just the smallest of both, but frustrating as there's a lot of hills here. Dremel time maybe.....
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This is unfortunate. Shoot us a followup email and we will troubleshoot with you.

--
TriRig.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TriRig wrote:
This is unfortunate. Shoot us a followup email and we will troubleshoot with you.

Thanks Nick. Yea, pretty frustrating but we'll get it fixed. e-mail sent......

Thanks!

Gary

Gary Geiger
http://www.geigerphoto.com Professional photographer

TEAM KiWAMi NORTH AMERICA http://www.kiwamitri.com, Rudy Project http://www.rudyprojectusa.com, GU https://guenergy.com/shop/ ; Salming World Ambassador; https://www.shopsalming.com
Last edited by: ggeiger: Sep 4, 17 10:51
Quote Reply