Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Anyone want to share any stories of less is more for race training and then results? [lightheir] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I believe this. Most triathletes are doing way too much volume. We just had our 3rd child last year (have had 3 kids sincee 2013). I took most of the year off. Just did 8 weeks with 5-6 hours a week avg leading up to a sprint race (.5 sw, 18 bike, 4 mile run) and finished 3rd overall. It wasn't my best time but I will say it wasn't far off from what it used to be. It really opened my eyes to what can happen if you listen to your body and make every session count.
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone want to share any stories of less is more for race training and then results? [lightheir] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Less-is-more always works after sustained periods of more-is-more! :)

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone want to share any stories of less is more for race training and then results? [Thomas Gerlach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thomas Gerlach wrote:
In general many high level athletes suffer from the same thing, fear they are not doing enough. It is what drives so many athletes to get sick, injured, burned out, etc.
This was one of the main reasons I hired a coach... and the fact I have no historical background in running, swimming or biking. I was a football, basketball and baseball player with a "good motor"...

I digress I found myself injured near the end of most years due to doing too much and spending too much time doing tempo/high intensity stuff, little recovery time, etc.

On thread topic, my running is where my coach has helped me in terms of performance the most in addition to my major goal of staying away from training induced injuries. My runs are broken into five categories with prescribed paces for each workout... 2 of them are at an easy pace, once is slightly above tempo, one is tempo and then I have interval paces below tempo for my speed workouts. Most of my workouts are at "easy" paces for me with tempo and track/speed workouts sprinkled in. Depends on where I'm at with a build, run block, taper, etc. but running "smarter" vs. just running tempo miles at random distances I came up with on my own has been a huge step in the right direction for me.
Quote Reply

Prev Next