Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Anybody on the Texas Gulf Coast? [tigermilk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Doesn't help that Houston is built mostly on clay either.
Quote Reply
Re: Anybody on the Texas Gulf Coast? [sslothrop] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Provided Congress can find offsetting cuts elsewhere in the budget.

If Congress does approve funding and there are no offsetting cuts, I wonder how many Republicans, particularly those in Texas, will support it?

Quote Reply
Re: Anybody on the Texas Gulf Coast? [Sanuk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sanuk wrote:
Provided Congress can find offsetting cuts elsewhere in the budget.

If Congress does approve funding and there are no offsetting cuts, I wonder how many Republicans, particularly those in Texas, will support it?

Well, we almost got to 4 pages without any political smartassery. Thanks Sanuk!
Quote Reply
Re: Anybody on the Texas Gulf Coast? [JSA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Levees breached warning just out .

sometimes
Quote Reply
Re: Anybody on the Texas Gulf Coast? [Old Hickory] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well, we almost got to 4 pages without any political smartassery.

The comment was on page 3 and I was responding to it.

The thread is also 4 days old so if the comment on page 3 was the first political one, that would likely be a record here.

Quote Reply
Re: Anybody on the Texas Gulf Coast? [Sanuk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sanuk wrote:
Why would someone wait for the government to tell them something before they act? If I think my home is going to flood, I don't need a government official to tell me to leave. Another example of how dependent people are becoming on the government to tell them what not long ago used to be common sense.

Agreed. Waiting for an official evacuation word before acting is unwise. Worst that could happen is being inconvenienced. One leaves on their own and later comes back and sees they would have been fine if they stayed. Best outcome is they leave then later see their home was swept away and they likely would have died had they stayed.

More rain is on the way, so, this isn't over. Imo, it's now too late for a mass evacuation. Everyone will have to survey their surroundings and make their own decision to get out (with others if possible) or hunker down.
Last edited by: Recoverie: Aug 29, 17 14:24
Quote Reply
Re: Anybody on the Texas Gulf Coast? [Recoverie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Recoverie wrote:
Sanuk wrote:
Why would someone wait for the government to tell them something before they act? If I think my home is going to flood, I don't need a government official to tell me to leave. Another example of how dependent people are becoming on the government to tell them what not long ago used to be common sense.

Agreed. Waiting for an official evacuation word before acting is unwise. Worst that could happen is being inconvenienced. One leaves on their own and later comes back and sees they would have been fine if they stayed. Best outcome is they leave then later see their home was swept away and they likely would have died had they stayed.

More rain is on the way, so, this isn't over. Imo, it's now too late for a mass evacuation. Everyone will have to survey their surroundings and make their own decision to get out (with others if possible) or hunker down.

The forecast isn't calling for that much rain at the moment, in fact, it's negligible (< 2 inches over the next 2 days, probably will be 50% or less of that). All the bayous are draining, which will then lead to the streets emptying. Brays Bayou is below the top throughout (meaning no spillover), Buffalo Bayou (the major artery) is draining and at the current rate, could be below the top in certain areas within 6 - 24 hours, despite all the reservoir releases (those will probably slow over the next few days). One of the challenges is that water comes in from the northwest and passes through Houston, but that comes through Buffalo Bayou which is improving. If you care to be informed, check out https://www.harriscountyfws.org/.

This isn't to say that areas under water will immediately get better, but unless the two reservoir dams give out (possible, but not likely), a lot of areas will begin drying out. A small thunderstorm over the weekend will just be a speed bump.

As far as your comment about mass evacuation. First, it is completely unwarranted now, and in hindsight, would have been completely unwarranted prior to the storm. Even if the highways weren't flooded at the moment, the damage has been done, now it's time to start picking up the pieces.

There are three kinds of people, those who can count, and those who can't.
Quote Reply
Re: Anybody on the Texas Gulf Coast? [r7950] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
r7950 wrote:
Recoverie wrote:
Sanuk wrote:

The forecast isn't calling for that much rain at the moment, in fact, it's negligible (< 2 inches over the next 2 days, probably will be 50% or less of that). All the bayous are draining, which will then lead to the streets emptying. Brays Bayou is below the top throughout (meaning no spillover), Buffalo Bayou (the major artery) is draining and at the current rate, could be below the top in certain areas within 6 - 24 hours, despite all the reservoir releases (those will probably slow over the next few days). One of the challenges is that water comes in from the northwest and passes through Houston, but that comes through Buffalo Bayou which is improving. If you care to be informed, check out https://www.harriscountyfws.org/.

This isn't to say that areas under water will immediately get better, but unless the two reservoir dams give out (possible, but not likely), a lot of areas will begin drying out. A small thunderstorm over the weekend will just be a speed bump.

As far as your comment about mass evacuation. First, it is completely unwarranted now, and in hindsight, would have been completely unwarranted prior to the storm. Even if the highways weren't flooded at the moment, the damage has been done, now it's time to start picking up the pieces.
Thanks for the update.

sometimes
Quote Reply
Re: Anybody on the Texas Gulf Coast? [mustangchef] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Civilize the mind, but make savage the body.

- Chinese proverb
Quote Reply
Re: Anybody on the Texas Gulf Coast? [Old Hickory] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This is my neighborhood. It's well outside the 500yr flood plain, but I'd guess 80% of the homes were under water. I think we were among the more fortunately areas in Spring, TX.

The community really rallied and we saved many elderly and young over the past two days. I think we'll avoid any casualties. Very proud of the efforts and individuals who came forward to help out.

-Andrew
Quote Reply

Prev Next