Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: No wonder triathletes hate the swim [klehner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Band no buoy is good - Rappstar does that.

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Re: No wonder triathletes hate the swim [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
monty wrote:
That's one hell of an analog clock you have if you can get to hundredths of a second accuracy. //

Let's take it to the fish thread, it's a hell of a fish(y) story.....

Yeah I was just reading through thinkin' fricken' h.

I just did some speed testing using a variety of things. For the sprint test I swam at nearly 6 km/h which yields 100M in 60 seconds, using GPS in cap (I was under that speed btw)

a) I did this sprint test using LONG FINS.
b) I was leg limited. In that I was pushing so hard to make that pace until my legs bonked.
c) I was pushing some serious water up front. My conclusion was way too high of drag (feels like my shoulders/front section) are causing this.
d) Amazing to me how anyone can swim that fast. My eldest son was under a minute for 100M.

Having said that I wish there was some way to swim-tunnel without this full output effort.

Training Tweets: https://twitter.com/Jagersport_com
FM Sports: http://fluidmotionsports.com
Quote Reply
Re: No wonder triathletes hate the swim [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
For what race are you swimming 18 mpw? Not being snarky -- that's just a huge load for a triathlete
Quote Reply
Re: No wonder triathletes hate the swim [outsidepr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
outsidepr wrote:
For what race are you swimming 18 mpw? Not being snarky -- that's just a huge load for a triathlete

He isn't training for Tri as he is injured. Swim only currently.
Quote Reply
Re: No wonder triathletes hate the swim [DJRed] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DJ - I've been mulling your situation over the past few days and just yesterday i ran into this girl i had not seen in about 6-8 months and we chatted a bit. I met her at the club where i swim; i'd see her swimming every so often but she's mainly a runner. After our conversation yesterday, I Googled her and realized she is not just a good runner but, at end of this past spring track season, was the #1 junior HS girl recruiting prospect in the entire frigging nation. She's run 4:42 for 1600 m and 9:59 for 3200. She's won the 800, 1600, and 3200 m at the Tenn State Track Champs the past two years, i.e. as a sophomore and junior in HS. She was 3rd overall at the Footlocker National XC Champs last fall. In summary, she is an outstanding runner. In our discussion yesterday, she mentioned that she had swum for her summer league team this past season, just as she has every summer since she was 8, so about 10-11 summers. I don't think she swims on her HS team b/c she runs indoor track in winter but still, 10-11 summers of comp swimming from 8 to 18 is plenty of time to hone your basic strokes and swim some pretty fast 50s. However, this girl's swimming speed is nowhere close to her run speed; she is clearly a pure runner and will never be as good at triathlon as she is at running. She just not appear to have the swimmer's genes but man, she has the runner's genes in spades. She might be able to swim your 50s on 1:30 coming in at 45 but I doubt she would be any faster than you, despite having swum for 10-11 summers.

In summary, just b/c a person starts swimming at an early age does not necessarily mean they'll be fast, and vice versa. We can't all be good at everything. You should take consolation that you're an excellent runner and cyclist, and pretty good swimmer. You might be faster if you'd swum as a kid but then again, maybe not.

"Anyone can be who they want to be IF they have the HUNGER and the DRIVE."
Quote Reply

Prev Next