Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Google and Walmart Partner With Eye on Amazon
Quote | Reply
Fascinating how this is playing out. With all the info these companies keep on us the ability to order/reorder over via voice is now coming to the stage front and center. If your supermarket isn't a player then chances are it won't survive:

The two companies said Google would start offering Walmart products to people who shop on Google Express, the company’s online shopping mall. It’s the first time the world’s biggest retailer has made its products available online in the United States outside of its own website.

The partnership, announced on Wednesday, is a testament to the mutual threat facing both companies from Amazon.com. Amazon’s dominance in online shopping is challenging brick-and-mortar retailers like Walmart, while more people are starting web searches for products they might buy on Amazon instead of Google.

The two companies said the partnership was less about how online shopping is done today, but where it is going in the future. (bold mine) They said that they foresaw Walmart customers reordering items they purchased in the past by speaking to Google Home, the company’s voice-controlled speakerand an answer to Amazon’s Echo. The eventual plan is for Walmart customers to also shop using the Google Assistant, the artificially intelligent software assistant found in smartphones running Google’s Android software.

https://www.nytimes.com/...nership.html?mcubz=1

"The great pleasure in life is doing what people say you cannot do."
Quote Reply
Re: Google and Walmart Partner With Eye on Amazon [jkca1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
WW IV won't be fought among nations, it'll be fought among retailing behemoths. ;-)

"Politics is just show business for ugly people."
Quote Reply
Re: Google and Walmart Partner With Eye on Amazon [big kahuna] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
big kahuna wrote:
WW IV won't be fought among nations, it'll be fought among retailing behemoths. ;-)

Reminds me of the good old days of Standard Oil, Carnegie Steel, Mellon, etc.
Quote Reply
Re: Google and Walmart Partner With Eye on Amazon [Old Hickory] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Old Hickory wrote:
big kahuna wrote:

Sure, because selling millions of different products from different suppliers is so similar to controlling a single commodity.
Quote Reply
Re: Google and Walmart Partner With Eye on Amazon [Old Hickory] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Old Hickory wrote:
big kahuna wrote:

Yep. Happy days are here again.

________
It doesn't really matter what Phil is saying, the music of his voice is the appropriate soundtrack for a bicycle race. HTupolev
Quote Reply
Re: Google and Walmart Partner With Eye on Amazon [FishyJoe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
FishyJoe wrote:
Old Hickory wrote:
big kahuna wrote:

Sure, because selling millions of different products from different suppliers is so similar to controlling a single commodity.

Lighten up Fishyman. There are more product skus but fewer robber barons today than in the 1900s.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Buy 'N Large here we come...
Quote Reply
Re: Google and Walmart Partner With Eye on Amazon [wesley] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
wesley wrote:
Buy 'N Large here we come...

I broke down and bought the Alexa device today just to see what it can really do and if it can make my life easier. I know that in 10 years+- my old clunker of a PC will be a boat anchor and my tablet will probably be replaced by some type of head set.

"The great pleasure in life is doing what people say you cannot do."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
They have all ready lost this battle. This is just the meager attempt at trying to show some presence. number 2 and number 3 will never win over number 1 despite joining forces. The real story here is that Walmart's acquisition of Jet is an obvious dismal failure. Overpaid for Jet and now again trying to chase dead opportunities.
Quote Reply
Re: Google and Walmart Partner With Eye on Amazon [gasman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
gasman wrote:
They have all ready lost this battle. This is just the meager attempt at trying to show some presence. number 2 and number 3 will never win over number 1 despite joining forces. The real story here is that Walmart's acquisition of Jet is an obvious dismal failure. Overpaid for Jet and now again trying to chase dead opportunities.

You're wrong on the acquisition of Jet. They basically bought some tech but what they really got is Marc Lore. He's now taking them to where they need to go. There will be two dominant players in total retail in 10 yrs. It will be Walmart and Amazon.
Quote Reply
Re: Google and Walmart Partner With Eye on Amazon [triguy101] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You are entitled to your opinion about Lore and what he can do. I just happen to know many of the Jet seed investors... they exited. Significant headwind on the front you are talking about.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Which side has more dragons?

The devil made me do it the first time, second time I done it on my own - W
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
But, what about the "People of Wal-Mart"? Are they going to dress like morons to order online?

"Honestly, triathlon is a pussified version of duathlon on that final run."- Desert Dude

Quote Reply
Re: Google and Walmart Partner With Eye on Amazon [gasman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm not sure about whether or not the purchase of Jet is a failure, as I don't know enough about the inner workings to judge it. What I do know is that I don't see any value of purchasing from Jet and don't know of anyone else who does either. It's a non-player as a site people consider at this point. Not that I haven't tried or checked it out, but the deals just aren't there; significantly higher prices on everything I've checked, from grocery/dry goods to home items, save for a deal on a bike helmet that appeared in my search for a deal.

gasman wrote:
Quote Reply
Re: Google and Walmart Partner With Eye on Amazon [MidwestRoadie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm an Amazon Prime member and one thing I've noticed is that the prices are all over the map. Items that I can buy @ brick & mortars for say $50 are $200 plus $100 shipping. It's as though there's people using Amazon to launder money.
Quote Reply
Re: Google and Walmart Partner With Eye on Amazon [sphere] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sphere wrote:
Which side has more dragons?
+1

Still waiting for the flying cars but I guess cheap Chinese-made products that I can voice order is a step in the right direction.
Quote Reply