Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Who is this Henry Aaron fellow? [justgeorge] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
justgeorge wrote:
"kaepernick would be on a roster right now if he were a similarly talented player at a different position,"

No, Kaepernick would be on a roster right now IF HE HADN'T OPTED OUT OF HIS CONTRACT! And when he renegotiated that contract, he gave up millions in guaranteed injury pay for the right to opt out. It almost seems like he really doesn't want to play, and is simply trying to score political points.

From this story:
In 2016, Kaepernick restructured the deal the 49ers gave him when they were convinced he was the franchise quarterback. He gave up $14.5 million in injury guarantees for the ability to opt out of his deal at the end of the year.

He would also be on a roster despite opting out of his contract if he were good enough that an NFL owner believed his contribution would be worth the headache his off the field conduct causes. Look at Richard Sherman. That guy mouths off about racism all the time. He may very well be right or he may very well be wrong, but the fact remains his contribution to the team is worth it for Seattle to put up with his mouth. He adds enough value that they'll overlook his controversy. Kaepernick is just not THAT good. He may very well be as good as Dan says, but if his value is outpaced by the controversy, nobody is going to take on that burden. It really ISN'T about keeping this black man down; it's about the risk/reward and the money to be made from it.

End. Of. Story.

''The enemy isn't conservatism. The enemy isn't liberalism. The enemy is bulls**t.''

—Lars-Erik Nelson
Quote Reply
Re: Who is this Henry Aaron fellow? [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
JSA wrote:
Slowman wrote:
And what does he know about sports?

Given his extensive career in the NFL, I guess he would know what he was talking about ... Wow. Just, wow ...

you're right. after reading your book all about your extensive career in the NFL, and as a pioneering black man in professional sports, i should've known that you were the authority to listen to.

the fact that you know his opinion, and he doesn't know yours, tells you how worthwhile a lot of people think his opinion is.

http://www.msn.com/...r-AAqEA8C?li=BBnba9I

here's another opinion that I think is worthwhile

this opinion is that the onus is on Kap to make up his mind whether he is an activist or a football player. From a guy who waited until he retired from football to become an activist.
Last edited by: ironmayb: Aug 24, 17 12:34
Quote Reply
Re: Who is this Henry Aaron fellow? [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sure, he's likely being 'blackballed' - though I'd describe it as self-induced exile. Not as race-tinged as your word but more accurate. Even if he had the talent of a top 5 starting QB he's a PR nightmare for the organization and it's just not worth it. It's a private business, just like Slowtwitch, and if it was good business to hire him it would happen. If I were an NFL owner I wouldn't touch him, I don't need my organization to become a political pawn for a cause du jour. Your opinion that there's a racial element is ridiculous. You must not watch much football - there are black players. Even when players (even black players) break the law, beat their wives, abuse their kids, commit murder, gambling, drugs - many manage to keep their jobs. Why? Because the business value exceeds the PR risk. It takes a hell of a lot to overcome the greed of an NFL owner who will excuse serious atrocities if it makes business sense to do so. Kaep's behavior cannot be overcome from a business perspective regardless of the talent. You probably even think the NFL team is really all about winning...plenty of profit is earned by losing teams. Business is business.

Just because you agree with Kaep's stance/cause/behavior and believe his talent should be sufficient to land him a job in the NFL doesn't mean anything. You're not and NFL owner. If hiring a person to work at Slowtwitch who then uses Slowtwitch to express their political views thus driving away your revenue generating clients is good business for you then you should hire the poor young man who finds himself unemployable. As for my business, I wouldn't tolerate such behavior, nor would my investors and Board of Directors. I highly doubt you would either.
Quote Reply
Re: Who is this Henry Aaron fellow? [JD21] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JD21 wrote:
Just because you agree with Kaep's stance/cause/behavior and believe his talent should be sufficient to land him a job in the NFL doesn't mean anything. You're not and NFL owner.

just to clear up a misconception it appears you have, i don't agree with his method or tactics and i largely also don't agree with his cause (depending on the cause). i do like his philanthropy, but i haven't been a fan of his civil disobedience (or whatever it is you'd call it).

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: Who is this Henry Aaron fellow? [ironmayb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
LeSean McCoy's opinion

http://www.dailywire.com/...amanda-prestigiacomo

All I Wanted Was A Pepsi, Just One Pepsi

Team Zoot, Team Zoot Mid-Atlantic

Quote Reply
Re: Who is this Henry Aaron fellow? [Billabong] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Billabong wrote:
LeSean McCoy's opinionhttp://www.dailywire.com/...amanda-prestigiacomo[/quote[/url]]

"You just got to look at all sides," McCoy continued. "Like, if I'm an owner or the GM of a team, do I want to put him on my team? Is he good enough to be on the squad, to even deal with everything that's going on? That's something that I don't really partake in."
In other words, it's not the owners, Colin, it's you.

copied from the article you attached.

not sure why this is being pushed here as a race issue or more importantly as a binary choice. Oh wait, yes I am.
Quote Reply
Re: Who is this Henry Aaron fellow? [JSA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JSA wrote:
Slowman wrote:
Doesn't the very survey you cite place karpernick ahead of 8 current NFL starters, mr sunshine?

Did you read the entire thing, including the actual survey results?

The heaviest burden to carry is the chip on your own shoulder.
Quote Reply

Prev Next