Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Anyone else just controlling their Kickr with the Kickr app?
Quote | Reply
I've lately just been controlling my Kickr with the Wahoo training phone app. No trainerroad, no perfpro, no preprogrammed power ramps.

It's been a new experiment in training for me - I'm in the M40+ AG, and like it or not, I have both less hours to train, and more of a need to recover and not overhammer it compared to a 21 yr old.

I've been enjoying being able to control the Kickr in real time and not be tied down to the power targets. Interestingly, at the same time, I really do enjoy the steady erg demands of the Kickr - I've tried putting the Kickr back to 'slope' mode where it simulates a regular trainer where resistance increases with effort, but I def prefer the steady pacing of erg mode, even if I'm controlling it. To my surprise, I set my PR Oly bike split and won my AG (in a soft field) in my last 2 triathlons, with the bike being my strongest leg. I outbiked my old self when I did the TrainerRoad halfironman training program where I did a LOT more bibing and really pounded myself pretty hard (may have overtrained it, actually.)

Anyone else just using the Kickr app? Just curious. I know Cody beals used to do something similar, where he'd maintain control of the wattage in real time at arm's reach at all times on his Kickr.
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone else just controlling their Kickr with the Kickr app? [lightheir] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yup, I use ERG mode from the app as well 99% of the time. On occasion I will upload more complicated watt-specific workouts given by my coach to TrainerRoad which will then control the session (typically sweet spot workouts with intervals at the end), but most of the time it's ERG mode for me.

Kiwami NA Racing Team
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone else just controlling their Kickr with the Kickr app? [lightheir] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've had my kickr since 2015. I usually just adjust to workouts given by my coach to the kickr app
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yep, I exclusively use the app. Usually erg mode, but sometimes level mode.
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone else just controlling their Kickr with the Kickr app? [JASpencer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Good to hear of all the folks using 'self-controlled' erg mode.

I seriously think this feature is hugely underutilized by the well-intentioned AGers who migrate to TR and Perfpro. The reality I've def found that you can def overdo it on the bike, even if you don't get the same feelings of leg beatdown you do if you overdo a run, and your gains will be smaller than if you had either rested or done an easier effort on your heavier fatigue days. And with the run training overlapping with bike training, it's pretty easy to overtax the legs unintentionally while doing those fixed-program TR workouts all the time.

I admit it was pretty weird for me to do indoor bike sessions at 150-180 watts easy on easy days as well as to manually pull down the target power mid-workout if I felt it was getting very hard (in TR, I'd hammer through all of 'em just as a sign of mental strength!) but after setting my Oly bike PR recently on the least bike training I've ever done, I'm going more this route - gentler workouts in the leadup but with better race peaking.
Quote Reply