Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Seeking Advice on getting Ipad to work with ANT+
Quote | Reply
I just got a new Bontrager Trip 300 with dual wireless sensor put on my P2. I am also purchasing a used Cycle Ops Fluid Trainer 2 from a guy in my club for my off-season riding. I want to be able to hook my ipad up and be able to receive the data from the bike and be able to use the Virtual Training App. I'm having difficulty finding an adapter that will plug into the lightening port of my Ipad 2, and I'm looking for someone that has already gotten one setup or knows exactly what hardware I need for the ipad to make this work. Also, would welcome feedback on the best apps for Virtual Training. I've heard Cycle Ops has a good one, and also Zwift. The Fluid 2 Trainer is a "dumb" trainer, so I just want a full setup to get me some winter miles in and not have to get bored just pedaling watching TV. I appreciate all the help!
Quote Reply
Re: Seeking Advice on getting Ipad to work with ANT+ [jwvenis] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TrainerRoad recommends the Wahoo Ant+ Key and Apple's Lightning to 30-pin adapter. Have you tried that?

Though, I just use my iPhone's native Bluetooth when I use the phone. (My normal training device is a Microsoft Surface with an Ant+ dongle.)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Unless there's been something new within the last few years it doesn't work. Back in the day the Wahoo ANT+ key/dongle would work but Apple (I think) disabled that the functionality. Now the way the various trainer apps get data to the iPad is via Bluetooth.

Good luck.
Quote Reply
Re: Seeking Advice on getting Ipad to work with ANT+ [exxxviii] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Great. Sounds like it might be working again.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I use the NPE CABLE bridge with my ANT+ cadence sensor and Zwift:
http://npe-inc.com/cableinfo/

Pretty solid, and they push out app and firmware updates frequently.

- John
"Have courage, and be kind."
Quote Reply
Re: Seeking Advice on getting Ipad to work with ANT+ [BryanD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Does anyone know if there is a generic version of this Wahoo ANT+ key?? $70 seems steep, plus whatever price the 30 pin adapter costs... trying to save a few dollars, thanks
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
One week ago I bought the Wahoo ANT+ unit from Amazon and the 30 pin adapter from Apple. They work great on my iPad using a Garmin speed sensor on rear hub, Kinetic Road Machine, and Trainer Road. Picks up Garmin HR too. The watts in my FTP test with Trainer Road virtual power were within 3W of outdoor tests last year with $1000 P1 meter. I think your Cycleops unit is a supported trainer, but check first with app you go with.
Quote Reply
Re: Seeking Advice on getting Ipad to work with ANT+ [DrunkIrishman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DrunkIrishman wrote:
Does anyone know if there is a generic version of this Wahoo ANT+ key?? $70 seems steep, plus whatever price the 30 pin adapter costs... trying to save a few dollars, thanks
The Sufferfest explicitly warns against any other device than the Wahoo. Even the old Garmin Ant+ adapter-- Sufferfest says it has problems. It is a niche adapter, so I cannot imagine there is much of a market to attract a generic cloner. I would just suck it up and buy the thing. Or, just use Bluetooth instead.
Quote Reply
Re: Seeking Advice on getting Ipad to work with ANT+ [exxxviii] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have the ANT+ Wahoo key with the 30 pin adapter and it works fine with Zwift on iPad. I have ordered the CABLE from NPE for use with Apple TV. Both seem to be solid options.
Quote Reply