Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Apps removed from Smart TV
Quote | Reply
Not sure how old my TV is. probably about 3 years old. Sony Bravia. I had not really used many apps on it but started watching youtube travel blogs on it. The larger screens were great with some the blogs that do great scenic video. I've only been using this a couple months and now they took the youtube app away because Google changed the app such that it does not run on the TV anymore.

So what "box" options are out there? I am not looking for a subscription service at this time. Is there anything you can get with free apps including youtube?
Quote Reply
Re: Apps removed from Smart TV [patf] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
patf wrote:
Not sure how old my TV is. probably about 3 years old. Sony Bravia. I had not really used many apps on it but started watching youtube travel blogs on it. The larger screens were great with some the blogs that do great scenic video. I've only been using this a couple months and now they took the youtube app away because Google changed the app such that it does not run on the TV anymore.

So what "box" options are out there? I am not looking for a subscription service at this time. Is there anything you can get with free apps including youtube?

You just want to use apps? Regardless, get a Chromecast for $35 and cast the apps (YoueTube, ESPN3, Pandora, etc.) to Chromecast. Simple.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Do you have a laptop? Plug it into the TV. Or Chromecast, or Roku or...

How does Danny Hart sit down with balls that big?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
YouTube and many other apps are free with Roku.

My older Samsung smart TV is losing some of its apps. YouTube is not user friendly on it either, but is a breeze to use with Roku.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You want all options? Off the top of my head

AppleTV
FireTV
Fire Stick
Roku
Plex
PS4/PS3
XBox 360/ XBone
Chrome
I think steam boxes do too

Best for you - probably Chrome.
It'll do everything you want without anything extra.

A game system will be better and do more, but at a $200+ premium over a Chromecast that'll fit your needs to a T (either the regular 2nd gen Chromecast or the 4K version)
Quote Reply
Re: Apps removed from Smart TV [Mightygator] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Mightygator wrote:
YouTube and many other apps are free with Roku.

My older Samsung smart TV is losing some of its apps. YouTube is not user friendly on it either, but is a breeze to use with Roku.
Mine was unfriendly to search for things, but then I realized if I subscribe to a youtube channel and login with TV it is very easy to find the content I want to see on the tv. Well until they dropped it.
Quote Reply
Re: Apps removed from Smart TV [scorpio516] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
scorpio516 wrote:
You want all options? Off the top of my head

AppleTV
FireTV
Fire Stick
Roku
Plex
PS4/PS3
XBox 360/ XBone
Chrome
I think steam boxes do too

Best for you - probably Chrome.
It'll do everything you want without anything extra.

A game system will be better and do more, but at a $200+ premium over a Chromecast that'll fit your needs to a T (either the regular 2nd gen Chromecast or the 4K version)

You forgot plug your laptop into the TV. I have a wireless keyboard/mousepad for the laptop in the basement. Everything runs great.

Quote Reply
Re: Apps removed from Smart TV [BLeP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BLeP wrote:
You forgot plug your laptop into the TV. I have a wireless keyboard/mousepad for the laptop in the basement. Everything runs great.

Yeah, I excluded this cause OP wanted "a "box"". I do the same with a Surface at times, probably with the same keyboard (a Logitech with a built-in touch pad).

Seems like Sony doesn't do this, Vizio allows me to cast to control youtube. If I have a PS4 running youtube AND the TV running the youtube app, when I pull up the cast button on my phone, I get options to cast to EVERYTHING - Vizio TV, PS4-###, living room chromecast, bedroom chromecast.
I still don't like the TV's application, it crashes out from time to time, but that's a Vizio thing and not part of this question at all :D
Quote Reply
Post deleted by spudone [ In reply to ]
Re: Apps removed from Smart TV [spudone] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have Roku on the upstairs TV. In the basement I have a connection set up for my laptop to quickly plug in (if it's not already there, which it frequently is).

Quote Reply
Re: Apps removed from Smart TV [BLeP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No HDMI port on the laptop. New family one has one.

Thanks all for detailing the options.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My laptop has DisplayPort. I have an HDMI to DisplayPort adaptor.

Quote Reply