Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: That 'peace through violence' crowd in Boston [Brownie28] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Brownie28 wrote:
Again, hard for a 'rally' to happen when people aren't let into the area and thousands of protestors are shouting them down.

What do you mean people aren't let into the area? The counter-protestors weren't let into the protestor area and vice versa. That's standard safety protocol. And shouting down is speech. I think police would have a hard time restricting shouting that given speech laws. Shouting down may be rude, but that's about it. Carrying Nazi symbols is also rude.

From what I've read Boston and the Boston PD have been lauded for their control of the Boston rallies relative to Charlottesville.

Quote Reply
Re: That 'peace through violence' crowd in Boston [dave_w] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dave_w wrote:
Did not follow it closely, but heard an NPR piece today in which they were pretty critical of the way it was handled, mentioning reporters were not allowed to get close enough to cover, and that some speakers were blocked by the scrum of counter-protestors. Not a great day for freedom of speech, but I still like the result better than Charlottesville.

Huh, I just posted that I heard an NPR piece where they were lauding Boston for their control of the situation. Must have been different commentators. I was listening to Morning Edition, I think.
Quote Reply
Re: That 'peace through violence' crowd in Boston [wimsey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm sorry but this is not possible.

The same way that anyone who supports Drump is a Nazi...anyone who protested him is clearly a hate filled Antifa aggressor.

You are either with the resistance or against it. Come on man.

wimsey wrote:
<<Well the claim (as I understand it) is that they were protesting "hate". >>

That is not the claim that I have heard from anyone I know who attended the counterprotest.

<<What is "hate"?

Hate is thoughts and words.

They were protesting thoughts and words.

Weak argument coming from you (which I mean as a compliment, since I generally have respect for the thought you put into your views and your expression of them here, though I often disagree with them).

To answer the question you posed to me, the people I know personally who went to the counterprotest were not protesting "thoughts and words" or "free speech". They recognize the right of the rally to speak, but they also recognize their right to exercise their own right to free speech. Their speech (at least of the people I know personally who attended) was directed a number of things, including remembrance of actual actions - not thoughts and words but the actions done in their name - taken by the original Nazis; as well as the sacrifice of Americans and their allies in WWII to halt those actions; and expression of a commitment not to allow the ideology that motivated those vile actions to take root in a way that threatens to bring those deeds into the fore again.

It is often said that the answer to speech you don't like is more speech. That is what happened here. The fact that the original 'free speech' rally got drowned out by counter speech is not worrying, it is reassuring.

----------------------------------------------------------------

My training
Quote Reply
Re: That 'peace through violence' crowd in Boston [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
    Here's a link to highlights from the one I heard (Here and Now), and another piece that points out the problems.
-
http://www.wbur.org/...on-rally-free-speech
-
https://www.cjr.org/...sm-protest-media.php
Quote Reply
Re: That 'peace through violence' crowd in Boston [len] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
len wrote:
This past weekend 7 people dead and 33 shot in Chicago in at least 7 separate incidents. No protests.

I think this guy agrees.

Quote Reply

Prev Next