Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Looking for Shorts for a run/ swim
Quote | Reply
With the back to school schedule, I'm going to need to drop a kid at school and need to be home in the morning. I can ride on the trainer but wont be able to run or swim before work unless I buy a treadmill.

I'm looking at adjusting my schedule for a longer lunch where I would run/ swim a couple of days and am wondering if there is a good pair of shorts/ bathing suit that I could run in, shower in and then swim in versus changing. I'm specifically looking for non-spandex/ non-tri specific short.

thanks,
Quote Reply
Re: Looking for Shorts for a run/ swim [Harry] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Re: Looking for Shorts for a run/ swim [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I usually on post in the Lavender room so this was expected.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just use a running short with a built in liner. It will be like a drag suit in the water which has it's advantages for certain types of workouts.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Why the spandex aversion?

I do swim/run bricks in an Arena jammer all the time. If you skip the wild patterns and stick with plain black or navy blue, you don't even look like too much of a tool when running.

"They're made of latex, not nitroglycerin"
Quote Reply
Re: Looking for Shorts for a run/ swim [gary p] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The gym .2 of a mile from my office doubles as my daycare for my youngest. Both daycare staff, my direct reports and co-workers regularly use the gym. I'll go spandex for swims only but not for running around my office or in my gym.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Desoto's running shorts are what you want: https://www.desotosport.com/...esday-run-short-2017

Or if you want longer inseam, go with its cousin, the Solana.

They are not my preferred running short, but they are perfect for what you want. They are made of a material similar to board shorts, but fit more like a running short, and they dry quickly. And last forever. And they have a drawstring to keep them from coming off during wall push-off.

I think they were designed for running on the beach and then hopping in the ocean for a swim. But Emilio can chime in and speak to that.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Linerless run shorts of your choice over jammers?

"They're made of latex, not nitroglycerin"
Last edited by: gary p: Aug 23, 17 9:17
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Seriously, I'd just wear a speedo (or if you must, jammers) under a pair of run shorts. take the shorts off while you swim (keep the speedo on, please).

You're probably not going to be wearing your shoes or shirt in the pool, so what's one more thing to take off and put on?

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm surprised nobody's mentioned it, but just run in your regular 100% polyester or whatever equivalent long-lasting material jammer you use to swim in.

I do this all the time without problem. The swim jammers are def harder to put on than normal running tights/shorts but otherwise work perfectly well for running.
Quote Reply
Re: Looking for Shorts for a run/ swim [lightheir] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
People have mentioned it. And then the OP said he doesn't want to do that. He's actually said that twice now.
Quote Reply
Re: Looking for Shorts for a run/ swim [HVP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ah - I didn't see the 'no-spandex' rule; assumed he would be ok with polyester but missed the more important 'not-form-fitting' aspect of it.

Two easy solutions:

- Use a pair of non-form fitting yet comfortable swim trunks of good material (polyester lasts longest), and just use those to both run and swim. Sure, there is added drag from the bagginess of the swim trunks in the pool, but it won't screw up your form and will act like resistance shorts.

Ignore the folks who say "it'll mess up your stroke!" "it'll make you swim worse!" blah blah - I was experimenting in adding drag to swimming due to super slowsters in the YMCA fast lane at lunch, and have tried t-shirt, polyester baggy shorts, polyester sweatshirt, polyester running pants, towel tied to my ankles, even a running belt dragged behind me as a parachute, and ALL of them work fine for swimming and don't mess up your form. If you're Sun Yang competing for the Olympics, ok, maybe you should thiink twice, but as an AGer, they work totally fine and can even help with the added resistance.

Other solution:

- Swim in your form-fitting jammers, and then just throw a pair of regular running shorts on top of your wet jammers when you want to do the run. Or just strip off those running shorts if you're running then going to pool. It's doubtful that the chlorine from your jammers will ruin your running shorts even for months, but if you're worried about that just use a cheaper replaceable pair of overshorts to run in.
Quote Reply