Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Question about training while fatigued
Quote | Reply
After watching Lionels latest blog video I am questioning my volume. So I read on here that a coach said if his athletes have a great workout he gets concerned. Okay, I assume he means he failed to plan correctly and they ended up with a lower TSS that week and therefore they kicked ass on a run or bike. So what's the point of training while fatigued? Is it so our bodies gain micro muscle fibers making our muscles more stable and stronger? Is it mental? Is it learning to operate on a higher heart rate? Is it continuing to push our bodies 1% further every struggling workout so when we taper we become Super Human? All the above?

Two years ago I did 1 workout a day and consistently kept AP of 200 watts on the bike and had my best run off bike in 70.3. Now with more volume (2 workouts a day) and a much higher FTP I am averaging 160-170 watts on the bike for +4 hour rides and my run pace is the same as last year.

Tonight I skipped my 2 hour bike after swimming and I am curious what others have experienced with volume? I basically went from 8-9 hours a week to 12-14 hours a week this build.

I am almost 43 if it matters. This is my 3rd year in the sport and I do feel more powerful and experienced but not necessarily stronger.

Edit....4th year in the sport.

http://www.sfuelsgolonger.com
Last edited by: alien: Aug 23, 17 2:10
Quote Reply
Re: Question about training while fatigued [alien] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
alien wrote:
After watching Lionels latest blog video I am questioning my volume. So I read on here that a coach said if his athletes have a great workout he gets concerned. Okay, I assume he means he failed to plan correctly and they ended up with a lower TSS that week and therefore they kicked ass on a run or bike. So what's the point of training while fatigued? Is it so our bodies gain micro muscle fibers making our muscles more stable and stronger? Is it mental? Is it learning to operate on a higher heart rate? Is it continuing to push our bodies 1% further every struggling workout so when we taper we become Super Human? All the above?

Two years ago I did 1 workout a day and consistently kept AP of 200 watts on the bike and had my best run off bike in 70.3. Now with more volume (2 workouts a day) and a much higher FTP I am averaging 160-170 watts on the bike for +4 hour rides and my run pace is the same as last year.

Tonight I skipped my 2 hour bike after swimming and I am curious what others have experienced with volume? I basically went from 8-9 hours a week to 12-14 hours a week this build.

I am almost 43 if it matters. This is my 3rd year in the sport and I do feel more powerful and experienced but not necessarily stronger.

Similar age and similar volume, I used to be around 8 - 10 hours am now 12 - 15. I've found that I can have a lot of poor training sessions where my times are crap, especially with running, yesterday I did a 12km (4km WU/CD) tempo run, plan was to do it at HIM pace - 4.30min/km, I could barely hold 4.45 pace for 8kms.. how am I supposed to run 21.1kms faster than that after swimming and riding for 3 hours?? But I'm training fatigued some days, so times are going to be off. I try to not let it bother me, I have a plan for that session and if the times are off, so be it. Pretty much all my races have reflected my increase in training volume i.e I've performed well with more training. If that wasn't the case I'd be pretty concerned.
Quote Reply
Re: Question about training while fatigued [alien] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It wasn't that Lionel had too much volume, it's that he had too high intensity at that volume. He did everything too hard and thus had nothing left for the "hard" work out.

If you notice, in the video he just posted he does an easy swim and bike precisely so he has something left for the run. In the past he'd hit it all at a medium-hard pace.
Quote Reply
Re: Question about training while fatigued [zedzded] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That might be the problem. My plan has high intensity in every workout. My friends go out and ride zone 1/zone 2 for 2 hours. My plan calls for 3x20 at 80-85% for 2 hours. I think I need to add some lower intensity easy stuff.

Quote Reply
Re: Question about training while fatigued [timbasile] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes, and maybe I am just not conditioned enough yet. I follow Trainerroad and the recovery weeks aren't much of a recovery. Typically it's more intensity biking and less swimming and running. I use to follow the Low volume plan but this year I am trying to follow the High Volume plan but I am failing miserably. Every workout is either >100% FTP intervals or 70-85% 2x30/3x20 stuff. No easy riding. I am basically back to the Low Volume plan by skipping High volume bike workouts so I can get a decent workout in. The swim and run volume are fine other than the 105 temps here for the long runs.

Quote Reply