Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Low profile brake levers?
Quote | Reply
School me on low profile "generic" brake levers pls. I'm on the prowl for some minimalist brake levers that I can put on pretty much any aero bar. But dang, everything I see is big and clunky. If I don't find something better, I'm going to take an cut off wheel to what I have and turn them into "2 finger" brakes.

In my pile of parts I've a couple base bars, but all my brakes are big clunky things. So right now I'm using an old HED integrated bar but it's a crappy solution for a water bottle and bike computer. Pic below is generic, not my bike.

What I'd like to do is go to a more generic base bar and get some decent Profile Design tri bars. But all the brakes levers I'm finding are these great big clunky things. This is a tri bike. I really don't need brake lever handles bigger than 2 fingers worth. What's really good about the HED bars is that it has small aero brake levers.

So what are some "generic" small aero brake levers I can pop into a base bar. Or maybe I need to get a base bar that has integrated small, aero brake levers?

Books @ Amazon
"If only he had used his genius for niceness, instead of Evil." M. Smart
Quote Reply
Re: Low profile brake levers? [RangerGress] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The old 3T and Vision levers were the definition of minimalist. The hassle is they need adapters or cut down base bars to work. I will see if I can figure out how to post a picture of my hillbilly solution on my Nosecone Shiv. There are pictures of the old Vision levers in my profile.
Quote Reply
Re: Low profile brake levers? [grumpier.mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
grumpier.mike wrote:
The hassle is they need adapters or cut down base bars to work.

Also proprietary brake cables unless you wanted to chance your arm with shift cables (which you shouldnt).
Quote Reply
Re: Low profile brake levers? [nickwhite] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
nickwhite wrote:
http://a.co/fCTQ0Sq

So cut off the last cm or so of those?

Books @ Amazon
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
grumpier.mike wrote:
The old 3T and Vision levers were the definition of minimalist. The hassle is they need adapters or cut down base bars to work. I will see if I can figure out how to post a picture of my hillbilly solution on my Nosecone Shiv. There are pictures of the old Vision levers in my profile.
So what's up with the industry that minimalist brake levers apparently aren't made anymore? The concept isn't in demand? Or maybe there were/are reliability/safety concerns?

Books @ Amazon
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It's because it's pointless. The aero penalty for something like this is well within any wind tunnels error margin. Plus it's good to actually have something to grab on to when you really need to stop.
Quote Reply
Re: Low profile brake levers? [nickwhite] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
nickwhite wrote:
It's because it's pointless. The aero penalty for something like this is well within any wind tunnels error margin. Plus it's good to actually have something to grab on to when you really need to stop.
I can't tell if you're serious or not.

This is triathlon. Attempts to gain largely pointless aero savings is an integral part of the hobby.

Books @ Amazon
Quote Reply
Re: Low profile brake levers? [knighty76] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
knighty76 wrote:
grumpier.mike wrote:
The hassle is they need adapters or cut down base bars to work.

Also proprietary brake cables unless you wanted to chance your arm with shift cables (which you shouldnt).

The 3Ts use mountain bike cables and the Visions were derailleur cables.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
These are the 3T levers. The outside diameter is the same as the ends of most basebars so you need to make adapters or use some sandpaper to cut down the diameter,
Last edited by: grumpier.mike: Aug 22, 17 21:04
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
grumpier.mike wrote:
The 3Ts use mountain bike cables and the Visions were derailleur cables.

Not really true. The Vision brake cable set has the same size nipple as a shift cable, but the cable diameter is thicker. That said, lots of people have been getting away with using shift cables without issue. Until they have an issue.

One problem is the groove at the caliper is usually sized for a proper diameter brake cable. Not a big prob if you clamp down properly.

Bigger problem is if you start using shift housing/outer which is a totally different construction. (Most) brake cables have a helical coil construction, where most shift cables have longitudinal construction.

So there is a difference between what you can do and what you should do.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Cheap and cheerful Planet X ?

Best picture I have sorry :

WD :-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
https://www.planetx.co.uk/...aero-tt-brake-levers

As with any Planet X purchase, wait for a sale and pay no more than 50% advertised rrp :-)

WD :-)
Quote Reply