Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Recommendation for daytime lights for my bike?
Quote | Reply
Prefer not to break the bank but obviously want the ones that will provide the most visibility and safety in daytime. Maybe a silly question but these the same that people use when its not light out?
Quote Reply
Re: Recommendation for daytime lights for my bike? [dannyweissphoto] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
For daytime visibility I find the Bontrager "Flare R" tail light is very noticeable. Their "Ion 800 R" or if you can find the older 700 headlights work real well in the daylight.
Quote Reply
Re: Recommendation for daytime lights for my bike? [dannyweissphoto] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Another vote for the FlareR.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
And a third vote from me for the Flare R. I use an Exposure Joystick front light which gives enough light for commuting in the dark in winter, and has a good flashing setting for daylight visibility, but it's not cheap...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Specialized Flux Expert

Make Inside Out Sports your next online tri shop! http://www.insideoutsports.com/
Last edited by: BryanD: Aug 22, 17 12:34
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Depends on length of ride, if you want something bright enough to be seen in daylight with enough battery for a 5+ hour ride then it's not cheap.

Personally the best I've found are Exposure - Diablo on the front, Blaze on the rear. Great combo of build quality, lumens, battery life and compactness, but expensive.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The Cygolite Dash/Hotshot combo is fantastic for the money - https://cygolite.com/product/dash-460-hotshot-micro-30-usb-combo/. Rechargeable, excellent mounting system, good light spread to be seen better at shorter distances and relatively inexpensive. Fantastic commuter type lights. Decent for daytime visibility.

The Flare R is probably one of the best daytime tail lights out there. The Dinotte Quad RED is really bright, but the focus (for lack of the correct technical term) is better on the Flare R making it more visible from further away. The RED is brighter at a closer distance. I saw a handful of both during some fondo type rides this year and that was my experience once I caught up enough to see what they were using.

Light and Motion's VIS 180 is also pretty good during the day and plays nice with aero seatposts. They JUST released a new version with more than double the lumens. If their optics are just as good as before I can see this one being an awesome choice for aero seatposts. http://www.lightandmotion.com/.../vis-180/vis-180-pro. I haven't seen one in person to verify and don't need a 4th or 5th tail light enough to blindly order one.
Quote Reply
Re: Recommendation for daytime lights for my bike? [dangle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I use exposure trace/tracer.
Quote Reply
Re: Recommendation for daytime lights for my bike? [tyme] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tyme wrote:
For daytime visibility I find the Bontrager "Flare R" tail light is very noticeable. Their "Ion 800 R" or if you can find the older 700 headlights work real well in the daylight.

^^^ THIS. No question. I rock two of each in the rear and front, respectively and love it. Had numerous cars pull up aside me telling me my lights were great and they saw me over a mile away.....which is exactly the point. they are worth EVERY penny is this cheap SOB's opinion.
Quote Reply
Re: Recommendation for daytime lights for my bike? [agreif] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
For the tail light, the CatEye Rapid X3 is even brighter than the Bontrager Flare R (100 lumens vs 65 lumens) and can be easily mounted on aero seatposts.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The Bontrager mentioned above is so bright and noticeable,that I've had to turn it off on group rides! Definitely the way to go for solo riding.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I use the Moon Mask and Moon Shield. Both are very bright and the battery lasts 6 hours. The Mask fits both standard road bars and aero bars. The Shield fits aero seat posts.
http://www.moon-sport.com/

I also carry a white and red HJ-031 LED light as spares. They are very bright and the battery lasts ~ 10 hours on flashing. They are really cheap on Ebay ~$5 each. They fit aero bars and aero seat posts.
http://www.ebay.com.au/...;hash=item4884ef2596
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
agreif wrote:
tyme wrote:

I ride a P5 with dual rear bottles. Can these attach to the seat stays? Or, on the aero seat post?

Thanks,

David
* Ironman for Life! (Blog) * IM Everyday Hero Video * Daggett Shuler Law *
Disclaimer: I have personal and professional relationships with many athletes, vendors, and organizations in the triathlon world.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I use the Performance Axiom rear light and it drives my wife nuts to ride behind me. It is cheap at $30 on sale, USB rechargeable, and has a rubber strap that will fit around an aero seat post.

For the front I use a tactical LED flashlight and a removable bar mount. In flash mode it works great and it has other uses.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I like the cygolite metro 360 + hotshot 2w bundle.
https://www.amazon.com/...-Light/dp/B00E1NQ696

metro 360 has a flashing mode that is very bright and is noticeable in daylight. I use it when commuting in the morning and evening at cross walks. There is also a steady/flicker mode which holds steady light for a few seconds and then flickers a few times. this is also good for early morning/evening since the flickering draws attention to it more than a constant steady light.

Hotshot 2w has a few different light patterns for the rear. Offer as good of visibility as any other rear light.

Overall I've been happy with mine. I've had them for maybe 3 years now and they still hold charge quite well with regular use.
Quote Reply
Re: Recommendation for daytime lights for my bike? [tyme] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tyme wrote:

+1

I have the Flare R and the Ion 800. Small and light, and I have other cyclists ask what lights they are since they see them from so far away. Drivers as well. Charge lasts a good while on them as well.

I talk to myself because mine are the only answers I'll accept - George Carlin
Quote Reply
Re: Recommendation for daytime lights for my bike? [david] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
david wrote:
I ride a P5 with dual rear bottles. Can these attach to the seat stays? Or, on the aero seat post? Thanks,

Here you go. Works without a problem on my P5. Just cut a little strip out of a PVC and good to go. Been riding like this for two years without a problem. Flare R's run around 4 hours for me before they go on battery saving mode, never ran out of light on the Ion.

Last edited by: agreif: Aug 23, 17 6:58
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Light & Motion VIS180 always has been a great taillight, and they just made a huge upgrade to it.

Garmin Varia Taillight is really nice (has accelerometer, so it will change based on braking) and also comes with a very effective aero post mount. Plus it syncs with your garmin computer (if you use one) to turn on automatically. I've been using this on my TT bike, though I do wish it was a bit brighter.

For front lights, there are legions of options... But you'd be hard pressed to find a better company than L&M. Looks like I need to refresh my reviews of their offerings.

"Non est ad astra mollis e terris via." - Seneca | rappstar.com | FB - Rappstar Racing | IG - @jordanrapp
Quote Reply
Re: Recommendation for daytime lights for my bike? [Rappstar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I would be curious to hear your thoughts on that new Pro Version of the 180. It's been on the website for most of this year, but I have never seen one in the wild.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
agreif wrote:
tyme wrote:

^^^ THIS. No question. I rock two of each in the rear and front, respectively and love it. Had numerous cars pull up aside me telling me my lights were great and they saw me over a mile away.....which is exactly the point. they are worth EVERY penny is this cheap SOB's opinion.

You are definitely super visible with those lights, even in bright daylight. We ended up getting Cygolite Hotshots, which are pretty similar in brightness and size, but seem to last a bit longer ( still flashing bright at end of a 6 hour ride ).

( This is Chris, BTW :D )

-C

--
I ride Felt.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Video of just one of the Ion 700 and flare R's on. Hotshots are definitely good too, my hotshot was a couple years old and didn't seem as bright, but it was a very close second. Sounds like they improved them. The nice thing about the Flare R's is they are easily swappable with those rubber attachments vs the knob/screw attachment that takes a little longer to swap.

VIDEO

Andrew
Quote Reply