Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Cycling shoe covers to block wind chill - where to buy?
Quote | Reply
Could anyone recommend a link to a cheap pair of bike shoe covers? I am not looking for super insulated / extremely cold weather covers. I mostly want to block out the wind chill that goes through the front of my tri fly v shoes.

My toes just about froze the first 3 hours of a double century in PA in April. I want to protect my toes during everesting in October.

I am honestly thinking about possible rigging up my own using some household items, but I wanted to check if there are any budget ones for sale.

When I run searches, the covers I am seeing do not seem to have a way to expose the cleat of the shoe, so I am not really sure how that works.

Thanks

"If it costs you 30 minutes at Maryland so what" -dwreal
Quote Reply
Re: Cycling shoe covers to block wind chill - where to buy? [bluestacks867] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I bought some shoe "toe" covers used from ebay for the same purpose (not for speed but to block wind with the same cycling shoes as you). They were Louis Garneau I believe. They weren't thermal ones; just a wind blocking fabric. I've had thermal full shoe covers too for winter riding. I think those were made by HIND. I think there are a lot of options with Pearl Izumi and even Lizard Skins makes some. All the ones I've seen have the cleat hole in the bottom. Scope out ebay... I think you'll find something that meets your needs. Don't write off the toe covers as they might block enough wind to keep your feet "warm enough".
Quote Reply
Re: Cycling shoe covers to block wind chill - where to buy? [bluestacks867] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just grab a cheap pair off Amazon.
Quote Reply
Re: Cycling shoe covers to block wind chill - where to buy? [logella] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Amazon, but buy a quality pair with good reviews. If you get a cheap pair two things will happen. You will have to buy them again (and again and again...) because they'll tear, and in the end you'd spend more money than if you just bought a good pair in the first place. And two, they are synthetic and if thrown away that material will end up in the landfills or in the ocean. Something to think about.
Quote Reply
Re: Cycling shoe covers to block wind chill - where to buy? [Dilbert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks guys, I believe most of my initial problem was I was searching for shoe covers when toe covers are what I should be looking for. Appreciate all the advice.

"If it costs you 30 minutes at Maryland so what" -dwreal
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I got some cheap toe covers from performance bike for like 12 bucks.
Quote Reply
Re: Cycling shoe covers to block wind chill - where to buy? [KG6] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Have you looked at Velotoze?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
These have occasionally been on sale for $9.99 w/free shipping. I bought a pair and they seem well made. But be aware I found the sizing off. I wear 46.5 - 47 size shoes, and XL were too big, I exchanged them for L.
Had a cheap pair from Amazon that only lasted a season, but the difference in materials is dramatic, Amazon ones were clearly inferior in every way.

Brian

Gonna buy a fast car, put on my lead boots, take a long, long drive
I may end up spending all my money, but I'll still be alive
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Maybe not what you're looking for, but why not just cut up some old socks? Or new cheap ones? Cut out a big enough space for your cleat and pedal and you're done.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
bluestacks867 wrote:
Could anyone recommend a link to a cheap pair of bike shoe covers? I am not looking for super insulated / extremely cold weather covers. I mostly want to block out the wind chill that goes through the front of my tri fly v shoes.

My toes just about froze the first 3 hours of a double century in PA in April. I want to protect my toes during everesting in October.

I am honestly thinking about possible rigging up my own using some household items, but I wanted to check if there are any budget ones for sale.

When I run searches, the covers I am seeing do not seem to have a way to expose the cleat of the shoe, so I am not really sure how that works.

Thanks

I just cut the ziplock off some sandwich baggies and use those (between sock and shoe, obvs.). I do have covers for winter, but the baggies are really much more convenient for when it's not that cold out. My feet get cold way before anything else does so I'm using those baggies a good chunk of the year outside of summer.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
These gore models are cheap and nice.

Gore Road Light Overshoes

https://www.amazon.com/...hoes#customerReviews
Quote Reply