Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Ironman 70.3 input
Quote | Reply
New here to the forum. Goal is to do a half ironman next year. I live in Raleigh, NC. So the raleigh event is logical choice for not having to travel, I can bike and run the course before hand. Also travel expenses would not be an issue. Raleigh is somewhat of a hilly and the weather can be brutal at times but I do get to train in that heat so I know what to expect. Other one I am looking at is Chattanooga, TN. I would look at wilmington but that one is late in the year, with family vacations and summer activities planned I would prefer to do on in May, June time period. If anyone has any other suggestion other than the ones I listed above for an Ironman 70.3 event I would be grateful for any advice. Thanks
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman 70.3 input [dl1340] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You also have Setup Events' White Lake Half Iron which is pretty close to Raleigh and is a great event. Flat and fast.

I did Raleigh this year after volunteering at it every year. Hot and brutal. I'll be at Chattanooga in 3 weeks for the 70.3 WCs so I will be able to compare it then.

I live in Greenville so I'm sure we'll share a start line somewhere in eastern NC!

Cheers,

thechromedome
http://www.favoritefinishlines.blogspot.com
http://www.cupcakecartel.org
My 20% off code for 2018 FS Series races: tricred18
"there are no drafters in heaven" - C Bonner
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman 70.3 input [thechromedome] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The courses are different (Choo 70.3 and WC Courses). I live in NC and I won't do Raleigh unless they move it back about 3 wks-1 mo. If they'd do that, I'd sign up, every year. You can't train in the heat and humidity......until it becomes hot and humid. Raleigh 70.3 has the knack for occurring on the very first day it becomes really stifling in NC (for the year).

Choo 70.3 is a wonderful course and a really nice time of year. If IM branded doesn't mean anything, White Lake is a great venue.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Raleigh is a well run race with a good course. It's always going to be hot though. Not much you can do about that. Don't underestimate the value of simple logistics for your first time doing a 70.3. Traveling to race adds a stress component that you don't necessarily need.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Don't know your background. But if you suck in swimming like most beginners, Augusta is the ultimate beginner course.
Quote Reply