Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

is it safe to use my carbon fibre road bike on my turbo trainer
Quote | Reply
It's probably been asked many times but is it safe to use my carbon fibre road bike on my turbo trainer whilst using the trainerroad IM distance 12 week plan. The manufacturers warranty says not to do this as it voids the warranty.

Thanks
Last edited by: GeorgeA11965: Aug 22, 17 2:27
Quote Reply
Re: is it safe to use my carbon fibre road bike on my turbo trainer [GeorgeA11965] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Which bike do you have?
Quote Reply
Re: is it safe to use my carbon fibre road bike on my turbo trainer [jaretj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Canyon Endurace
Quote Reply
Re: is it safe to use my carbon fibre road bike on my turbo trainer [GeorgeA11965] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
According to Canyon, their official word is no but if it was my bike I would do it.

I've used several carbon bikes on a Computrainer. P2, F5, NP2, DA, PX, Slice and have never had a problem. You do need to be a responsible owner and be careful though.

Trying to rock the bike back and forth could rip the chainstays off, there are probably other stupid things that could be done as well.

You may need to look at different skewers for the disc wheel bikes.
Last edited by: jaretj: Aug 22, 17 2:44
Quote Reply
Re: is it safe to use my carbon fibre road bike on my turbo trainer [jaretj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the information. I'm still unsure and think i'll probably not do it just in case.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ride my bike almost exclusively on the trainer outside of races, have a carbon fiber frame, and a Wahoo Kickr. I have not seen any issues... kinda thought everybody rode this way quite a bit? Is the concern specific to a road bike vs. a time trial bike?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'd be more worried about carbon wheels being used on the trainer. Use a cheap alum wheel/wheelset.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
GeorgeA11965 wrote:
Canyon Endurace

I would probably call Canyon and ask why their bike can't handle a trainer when almost every other carbon bike on the market can.

If a frame were in danger of breaking on the trainer, I don't think I would be willing to ride it on the road. Unless there is something specific about the dropouts that make the bike not fit correctly, it's probably fine.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
More than likely, yes.

I ride a carbon road bike (BMC SLC01) and a carbon tri bike (S-Works Shiv) on a Tacx Vortex. My thoughts are that with the popularity of virtual riding software like Zwift, Trainer Road, etc, you would expect to see an increase in broken frames. To my knowledge, there is not a facebook group dedicated to "hey, I just shattered my seat stay". Some of the power outputs the guys are throwing down on the Zwift sprints is borderline insane.

Ride your bike on the indoor trainer. Go for the green jersey on Zwift. Don't worry about your frame.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If it was a problem all the pros wouldn't be doing it ;-)

I have two carbon bikes (Cannondale Supersix and Cervelo P3) that I have used extensively on Kurt Kinetic and Tacx Neo (Neo has a bit of a side-to-side give, while Kurt Kinetic is more solid). I also clamp down the top tube when I work on my bikes with no problems.

Obviously use common sense. If the bike is in the trainer you don't wanna trash it from side to side like a maniac while sprinting out of the saddle.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
most likely it's fine as long as you're not doing thinks that put a ton of stress on the chainstays. I ride my cervelo p2 on my trainer and it's been fine but I am careful about not rocking back and forth or doing much standing. I have my power meter on my p2 which is the main reason I use it on the trainer. But after I finish my IM this year, I'll probably just throw my aluminum road bike on the trainer
Quote Reply
Re: is it safe to use my carbon fibre road bike on my turbo trainer [mickison] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Many thanks for the replies everyone. Much appreciated.
Quote Reply