Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

If running ability is genetic, is there hope for my kid?
Quote | Reply
I have two kids, aged almost 6 & 3. They do kids triathlons for fun.

The oldest one does exceptionally well in swimming (especially in her swim classes). Also, in triathlons, she has an easy time passing everyone on the bike because she is VERY tall for her age and is thus on a bike with wheels that are bigger than other kids'. However, she has been doing triathlons since she was 3 and from my observations, running is very hard for her, compared to her peers. Unfortunately, her running form looks a lot like mine (not a good thing)! Other kids in her "age group" seem to be very light on their feet. Even when she was a toddler, running did not come easy for her. She would ALWAYS trip whenever she would run. ALWAYS. This has stopped only a year or so ago.

Conversely, my 3 year old runs pretty much just as fast as the 6 year old. Her running form looks a lot like my hubby's (a very good thing). Unlike her older sister, she is shorter and smaller for her age. And the more I observe my youngest one, the more I realize that my oldest one is not a "natural runner".

Is there hope for my oldest one? Can poor running form be unlearned if she starts doing track in a few years?

For now they participate in fun events like the kids triathlons, short trail runs or family fun runs. I am just envisioning the possibility where in a few years they may want to get more competitive...but maybe one of them or both never will, which is fine too...
Quote Reply
Re: If running ability is genetic, is there hope for my kid? [IronLady] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
At six years of age it is almost too late. You need to get that kid some professional coaching and gait analysis right away.

They constantly try to escape from the darkness outside and within
Dreaming of systems so perfect that no one will need to be good T.S. Eliot

Quote Reply
Re: If running ability is genetic, is there hope for my kid? [IronLady] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Way too early to tell, check back in when she is done growing. Especially if she is tall for her age, but you don't think she will be exceptionally tall as an adult. Kids can be all sorts of awkward at early ages. On the opposite end it is pretty common for girls to be pretty fast runners as freshman and sophomores only to see significant slowing when they grow in to women.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Too early to tell and genetics are kinda hit or miss.

We have 3 boys, 12, 12, & 14 and in terms of physical ability, they're all over the map. So not only do you not know what you have, but what you have can change. A kid could develop early, crush their peers, but then everyone catches up. Or the kid could develop late and doesn't start kicking ass until late HS.

I'm a FOP age grouper. When I was college I was useful in the BIG10 and PAC10, but not scholarship material. I never broke a 4:00 mile, nor really got close enough to it to scare it much.

Our boys are very different. The 14yr old has the moxie to train as a runner, but unless he simply "matures late" like I did, he's not going to amount to much. He and I have been running together for years and he's just not that fast. He is a math whizz tho, so that bred true.

One of the 12yr olds is a smart ass, but not all that gifted physically. The quick thinking verbal skills that underlie his success as a smart ass, also bred true.

The other 12yr old is physically gifted. Seems to have infinite endurance and coordination. W/o training, he can stay with big brother in a 5km. Big strength to weight ratio. Doesn't share twin's verbal gifts nor quick thinking. He's also low on moxie. Hard to get him off of the couch. The endurance he got from me, but I was never coordinated. Maybe he got that from his mother.

Books @ Amazon
"If only he had used his genius for niceness, instead of Evil." M. Smart
Quote Reply
Re: If running ability is genetic, is there hope for my kid? [len] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
len wrote:
At six years of age it is almost too late. You need to get that kid some professional coaching and gait analysis right away.

This. Also, you should probably have more kids. Then at least you'll have the law of averages on your side.
Quote Reply
Re: If running ability is genetic, is there hope for my kid? [edbikebabe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Oh yeah, for sure a ton more kids and a professional coach for each kid is a must. Fo sho.

I knew smart ass comments would be inevitable when I posted this...

As an aside, my kids are not the ones in zoot speed suits at races. As long as they have fun while being active.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I really wouldn't worry about it. The only thing that matters at that age is enjoyment. If they enjoy sport then they'll try hard at it, and if they try hard then they'll find a sport that they can at least be competitive in, if not win stuff. Might be short course triathlon, might be long course, might be some other sport, either pure swimming/biking/running or something else.

I do think that endurance sports, and triathlon in particular, provide the most reward for those who train smart and diligently but don't have the best genetics. Personally I have pretty average hand-eye coordination and very few fast twitch muscles. Hard work and practice can somewhat compensate for the hand-eye thing, but the fast twitch thing is hopeless. I learnt that at school - I completely sucked at any sport requiring good acceleration and top speed. I could do dedicated sprint training every day for 2 years with the best sprint coach in the world, and at the end of it I would still get my butt kicked by a genetically talented sprinter who'd been sat on his backside watching TV and drinking beer for those 2 years. At the dad's race on school sports day I routinely get beaten by guys with beer guts who have barely exercised in 20 years.

Genetics definitely plays a part in endurance sport, but a much smaller part compared to volume and consistency. If your eldest really gets into triathlon and kicks ass on the swim and the bike, she might not ever be the fastest runner but I'm sure with training she can learn how to be fast enough to hang onto a lead. She may also find that as she gets older and the races get longer then her longer stride will start to offer more advantage over the smaller, light-footed kids.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
IronLady wrote:
In Reply To:
Oh yeah, for sure a ton more kids and a professional coach for each kid is a must. Fo sho.

I knew smart ass comments would be inevitable when I posted this...

As an aside, my kids are not the ones in zoot speed suits at races. As long as they have fun while being active.

I would have put mine in pink too, but honestly I don't know how...

I alternately think that my 5 year old is a genius, or bat$hit crazy. At this point I'm playing the long game.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just go with the flow. I worked hard with my son had him in hockey, soccer, swimming. No very athletic at all. He is now in third year of software engineering never exercises and is making 60 K this year as a student co-op. Daughter was in swimming just because son was did soccer and brief gymnastics. Out of the blue in 9th grade daughter wins triple jump and long jump at provincial championships in Ontario at largest highschool meet in the continent. Grade ten wins triple. This year lost the magic but still top ten. You just never know.

They constantly try to escape from the darkness outside and within
Dreaming of systems so perfect that no one will need to be good T.S. Eliot

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You may need to redefine your definition of "genetics".
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not to discourage..... I am your 6 year old. Except I'm 40. I could never run. Ever. I sure wanted to! And I still want to. My kiddo (age 20) got dad's legs, fortunately. So he can swim AND run.

Hillary Trout
San Luis Obispo, CA

Your trip is short. Make the most of it.
https://www.slogoing.net/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
First and foremost just let your kids be kids. Just be thankful that they enjoy a sport you can relate to and that your whole family can possibly share. Skiing with my daughter are some of the best times we shared, but she gravitated towards swimming, which I suck at. For the last decade I just get to sit in the stands and be nervous hoping she does well.

Also remember that kids mature and grow very differently. All the components of being a good runner are still developing.

Kids that are good at a young age tend to burn out when it gets more competitive. If you want them to develop a passion for an activity, let them find something they enjoy and be supportive. They will be on their own before you know it.

Also remember that kids will spend lots of time and energy focusing on what you don't want them to do. They will pick up on your concerns and do the opposite of what you desire. Practice some reverse psychology and make them think you aren't concerned with their performance, ... Because you shouldn't be.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I love this. If running is genetic,I am off the hook since this means biking is genetic also. :)

Let your kids be kids.

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply