Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: I think the Pope is wrong on this [Duffy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Oh I could tell you a story about my mom marrying an Italian Catholic and the fights over infallibility.
Short story, she had to tell her vows frm the sacresty since she couldn't be at the altar.

Jim
"In dog beers, I've only had one"
http://www.shakercolonial.com/
Creating custom made furnishing to your requirements
Quote Reply
Re: I think the Pope is wrong on this [veganerd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
veganerd wrote:
slowguy wrote:
veganerd wrote:
slowguy wrote:
patf wrote:
windywave wrote:
I disagree with him, but his position is consistent for him and the papacy.

Did Christ try to change the Roman government? No his message was to individuals preaching for them to help the poor, the traveler, etc. The Pope has fallen into the trap of trying to get governments to do work that should be done by individual believers. Trying to get governments to do the work of individuals was not his message.

In fairness, Christ's role was just slightly different from the Pope's.

But the pope is his man on the ground, so its not as if he is supposed to have a different message than jesus.

He definitely has a different message from Christ, on account of, you know, Christ being God.

Christ bring the message of redemption from sin. The Pope is the leader of the Catholic Church. It's really not the same position, or the same responsibility, and therefore not the same message.

Their roles are different, but their message is essentilly the same. Its literally a large chunk of the popes duties to make sure catholics and non catholics receive jesus message. He cannot do that if jesus says one thing and the pope says something different.

"Handing on Jesus' message that God is Love and planting this message in contemporary soil is a major task of the Church in each epoch of history. The Pope plays a crucial role in this as the Prime Witness to Faith. "

http://www.churchauthority.org/blueprint/pope.asp

Yes, there is obviously a lot of overlap. But the Pope is not Christ, and his message is not exactly the same. The world is different now than it was when Christ was on Earth. The message is slightly different because of the Pope's different role and the differences in the world that is receiving it.

Jesus is just one part of God. The Pope is responsible for all of God's message, not just Christ's.

Slowguy

(insert pithy phrase here...)
Quote Reply
Re: I think the Pope is wrong on this [windywave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
windywave wrote:
patf wrote:
windywave wrote:

Did Christ try to change the Roman government? No his message was to individuals preaching for them to help the poor, the traveler, etc. The Pope has fallen into the trap of trying to get governments to do work that should be done by individual believers. Trying to get governments to do the work of individuals was not his message.

Was Jesus a Pope?

No Peter was the first pope.

All I Wanted Was A Pepsi, Just One Pepsi

Team Zoot, Team Zoot Mid-Atlantic

Quote Reply
Re: I think the Pope is wrong on this [Billabong] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Billabong wrote:
windywave wrote:
patf wrote:
windywave wrote:

Was Jesus a Pope?

No Peter was the first pope.

Thanks Commodore Obvious, didn't realize that. One definitely couldn't pick up I already knew that from context.
Quote Reply
Re: I think the Pope is wrong on this [jriosa] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jriosa wrote:
Oh I could tell you a story about my mom marrying an Italian Catholic and the fights over infallibility.
Short story, she had to tell her vows frm the sacresty since she couldn't be at the altar.

Infallibility is a modern concept dating from I want to say 1865-1885 somewhere in there as a pushback to criticism of modernization/secularism/Protestantism.

ETA and I thinl it only has to do with dogma.
Last edited by: windywave: Aug 22, 17 6:52
Quote Reply
Re: I think the Pope is wrong on this [jkca1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"Refugees" settled a "camp" in a square in Rome.
After a week police decided to clean up the area.

Quote Reply

Prev Next