Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Pace and duration for running intervals (in triathlon)
Quote | Reply
What is the pros and cons for running intervals at different paces?

If I understand correctly running economy is somewhat pace related?

My 10k (non triathlon) time is about 35 min and I did 37.10 in a correctly measured Olympic distance.

Is it better for me to do 4-5x1000 m @3.15-3.20 pace or 8-10x1000 m @3.30 pace,
If I want to do good SD/OD? different if I want to do HIM or IM?

My vo2max is 73, so that should not be a limiter.

How are you guys thinking about this?
Last edited by: johan123: Aug 21, 17 2:32
Quote Reply
Re: Pace and duration for running intervals (in triathlon) [johan123] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What training stimulus are you hoping for from the workout. Desired stimulus drives how you do a set of reps.

https://markmcdermott.substack.com
Quote Reply
Re: Pace and duration for running intervals (in triathlon) [marklemcd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
marklemcd wrote:
What training stimulus are you hoping for from the workout. Desired stimulus drives how you do a set of reps.

This^

I used to base my running around 400m reps because it gave me finer control of pace than longer intervals.
So I would do something like 4 times 4 x 400 on 1:20, trying to get 5 or more seconds rest, With a 3 min break between sets to ensure I wasn't building lactate.
That was the stimulous I needed for the events I was doing.

What is it you are trying to train?
And where are you at now?
Quote Reply
Re: Pace and duration for running intervals (in triathlon) [marklemcd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
marklemcd wrote:

I want to run fast in OD and HIM.

But how is the stimuli changing? If I do 10x3.30 or 5x3.20 for example?

Both of them are faster than my triathlon race pace (at the moment).
But 3.30 is what I aim for.

Does it make sense to run a lot faster than race pace? In cycling I do quite a few threshold intervals and in
swimming I do even faster intervals.
Quote Reply
Re: Pace and duration for running intervals (in triathlon) [johan123] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'd also like an answer to this question.

'It never gets easier, you just get crazier.'
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The "system" you're working is different if you do it.in 3:20 v 3:30. So neither are better, just different.

https://markmcdermott.substack.com
Quote Reply