Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Movie Review: Hitman's Bodyguard
Quote | Reply
Pretty much what you expect.

Hitman's Bodyguard is a buddy movie starring Samuel L. Jackson and Ryan Reynolds. Essentially, it's a little less than two hours of Jackson being Jackson and Reynolds being Reynolds.

Vladislav Dukhovich (Gary Oldman), the brutal dictator of Belarus has been arrested and taken to trial at The Hague. Witness after witness has been killed or disappeared, and it seems that he will get off scot free, until Interpol strikes a deal with Darius Kincaid (Jackson), notorious hitman. Kincaid will testify against Dukhovich, if Interpol can get him to the trial in time, and alive. After the initial Interpol security team is killed, Michael Bryce (Reynolds) is called in to complete the transfer. Bryce is a down on his luck executive security agent, and he and Kincaid have a history. Hijinks ensue.

The tone of the film kind of reminded me of RED, but with a lot more foul language, because,..Samuel L. Jackson. There's plenty of violence, car chases, shooting, fighting, etc. There are also plenty of funny scenes, although it's not going to knock anyone's socks off as the funniest movie of the year. In fact, that's basically what it is. It's not the funniest movie ever. It's not the greatest action movie ever. It's not the very best buddy movie ever. But it's pretty decent in all those areas, just so long as you keep your expectations low.

Overall, Hitman's Bodyguard is decent, low/no thought required, popcorn action junk food. As I said, lots of cursing, not really any sex or nudity, and plenty of violence. The foul language alone earned it its R rating. Not for kids, and it will be tough to show it on TNT or TBS.

Interestingly, despite pretty bad reviews, it looks like it's winning the weekend at the box office.

Slowguy

(insert pithy phrase here...)
Quote Reply
Re: Movie Review: Hitman's Bodyguard [slowguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This is on my list to see (just have to talk the wife into going)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks. It's on my Tuesday matinee list now with low expectations.

"The great pleasure in life is doing what people say you cannot do."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sounds awfully like Safe House, where Ryan Reynolds is tasked with keeping Denzel Washington alive to stand trial.

slowguy wrote:
Vladislav Dukhovich (Gary Oldman), the brutal dictator of Belarus

Also sounds like we have just under 2 hours of Gary Oldman being Gary Oldman!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not even some props to Salma Hayek for playing the crazy Mexican wife like a jefa?
Quote Reply
Re: Movie Review: Hitman's Bodyguard [cartsman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
cartsman wrote:
Sounds awfully like Safe House, where Ryan Reynolds is tasked with keeping Denzel Washington alive to stand trial.
slowguy wrote:
Vladislav Dukhovich (Gary Oldman), the brutal dictator of Belarus

Also sounds like we have just under 2 hours of Gary Oldman being Gary Oldman!

I don't think they were planning on putting Denzel on trial in Safe House - the whole waterboarding and "get me a knife" sequence in the early parts of that movie suggests they weren't really worried about due process.

Incidentally, am I the only person who thought Safe House was a decent movie? Had its flaws but I enjoyed it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Does Ryan Reynolds take his shirt off?

A friend wants to know.

Civilize the mind, but make savage the body.

- Chinese proverb
Quote Reply
Re: Movie Review: Hitman's Bodyguard [cartsman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
cartsman wrote:
Sounds awfully like Safe House, ...

I was kinda thinking Midnight Run, myself

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Your review was spot on. I went in with low expectations and enjoyed myself more than I expected.

"The great pleasure in life is doing what people say you cannot do."
Quote Reply