Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Tomatoes
Quote | Reply
I know there are a few gardeners on here, and someone who grows a large number of tomatoes (I can't remember who it is). Feel free to provide any input.
I live in a northern climate (Alberta zone 3-4). We have had a warm summer and my tomatoes have done very well. Lots of fruiting on tall plants. I planted a number of varities, all in the 48-60 day range. My plants are still flowering, and there is little/no chance we are going to get 60 days frost free. We will be lucky to get 30. Should I remove these flowers to promote more energy being sent to the ripening fruit, or does it make any difference?

"I keep hoping for you to use your superior intellect to be less insufferable. Sadly, you continue to disappoint." - gofigure
Quote Reply
Re: Tomatoes [sonofdad] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
 I cut off the ends of any branches that are still producing blossoms once it looks like it will turn too cold for the tomatoes to ripen. I grow a lot of sun gold's which seem to ripen before anything else and never stop growing and producing blossoms - it does seem to help. I'll also cut off an entire branch of near-ripe tomatoes and bring it inside to ripen once it is too cold - they don't taste quite as good as ripening outside but are still better than the store.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I might be able to help you increase your yield a bit. Take a try at making a DIY greenhouse next year out of plastic. It's damn cheap. This year was the first year I made it. I raise my tomatoes in planters. I "planted" in early march and had nice tomatoes 30+ days earlier than not using this method. It's mid-august now and I still have tomatoes growing. This was by far my best tomato year ever. FYI I live near Sacramento, which I think is zone 9.

"The great pleasure in life is doing what people say you cannot do."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just let them grow wildly because they are busy and want to grow about their business.

Quote | Reply
Lucky you, all of our tomatoes are getting blossom rot, :(

I would suggest looking for polytunnels or the mini-greenhouses if at all possible. Zone 3/4? That puts you south of the TransCanada correct? I live in a Zone 2/3. I've started a Reddit r/gardeningzone3 There isn't many members yet, but maybe someone will chime in.

Our chili & sweet peppers are doing fine. So now we're going to have to buy tomatoes from the hutterites or okanogan fruit truck.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
a little late.... enjoy what you have.

sometimes
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
 I just let mine do there thing until the frost hits and then bring them in to ripen. Seems to work and I stew most of them so any decrease in flavour is more than overcome when the alternative is considered.

I am also in zone 3/4.

Ben
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm in growing zone 7/8 and I prune my plants often of excess leaves, stems, blossoms, etc. My plants have done very well this summer. Last Tri in 83 seems to have a lot of good information on pruning tomato plants.
Quote Reply
Re: Tomatoes [Old Hickory] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Little different topic but related to tomatoes. If you have aphid problems plant basil and nasturtiums by them. We always have issues in Colorado. We planted both to them this year and have not one Aphid.

It's remarkable.
Quote Reply
Re: Tomatoes [Grant.Reuter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Grant.Reuter wrote:
Little different topic but related to tomatoes. If you have aphid problems plant basil and nasturtiums by them. We always have issues in Colorado. We planted both to them this year and have not one Aphid.

It's remarkable.

That's good to know. I sprayed my plants with a dish detergent/olive oil mixture that also worked to kill aphids. I would rather plant basil to prevent them.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Zone 5/6 here. The only thing that has grown well this year is okra. I've had a great crop of soybeans/edamame the last few years, but they suck this year so far.
Quote Reply
Re: Tomatoes [Old Hickory] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah we tried some of the chemical spray, and lady bugs, neither worked. So I was pretty shocked that we haven't had issues this year.
Quote Reply