Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Question about Shimano 6700 / 6800 and Quark compatibilities
Quote | Reply
Hello. I've got some questions and freely admit, I only half know what I'm talking about. Please go easy on me.
For starters:
  • I intend to change my current Shimano crankset for a couple of reasons, from 172.5 mm and 50/34 to 165 mm and 52/36.
  • I want to get a quark. [eta - ok, I see I should think beyond quark. still interested in crank-based vs pedals, wheel hub, or single sided.]
It looks like one quark model will fit all shimano 6800 cranksets regardless of chain ring size. Is this true also for 6700? As in, does that D4 PM spider work with the 10-spd 6700? [eta - I now see the 6700 is 5 arm and the 6800 is 4-arm, so answer to this question is clearly NO.]
  1. What if I "upgraded" to the 6800 crankset. Would the narrower chain I assume I'd have to get work with my 6700 derailleur and 10-spd cassette?
  2. Or would I now need to get a new derailleur?
  3. Also a new cassette? I believe ability to do this depends on what hub I have, right? I can't find a part # on it, just know it's Bontrager RL from 2013.
I don't exactly have a burning desire to upgrade my whole drivetrain right now, but suppose I could. And to help me consider this point, could someone tell me:

5. True or False - the Cannondale Slice year 2016 (purchased in Nov 2015 I assume it's the 2016 model) is not ITU legal (due I think to narrow seat stays). Ergo, I can't use it at say Powerman Zofingen?
Basically, I want the new PM on my other bike no matter what, but my interest in upgrading the drive train has to do with compatibility with my race wheels, for which the rear has an 11-spd cassette. Yes, I know I could move the 10-spd cassette over in the event I were in a non-Slice compatible race. But I'm just trying to understand my options.

Thanks!!

To breathe, to feel, to know I'm alive.
Last edited by: Tsunami: Aug 20, 17 19:20
Quote Reply
Re: Question about Shimano 6700 / 6800 and Quark compatibilities [Tsunami] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If you want a Quarq you will be buying an entirely new crankset. Shimano cranks do not have removable spiders.

So now it is down to picking what you want for crankarms and chainrings. You have a choice of Quarq aluminum or carbon arms at the 165mm length. Then a voice of standard 5 bolt spider or the Shimano specific 4 bolt rings configuration.

My experience is that 10 and 11 speed chainrings work fine between systems. YMMV.

Note that the 24mm Quarq spindle option is GXP which will require you change your bottom bracket to use a 22mm bearing or adapter on the NDS.
Quote Reply
Re: Question about Shimano 6700 / 6800 and Quark compatibilities [Tsunami] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
As with the above most, a Quarq powermeter will not fit on a Shimano Crank. Here are your options.

Shimano crank 110 BCD with Powertap C1
Sram crank with Quarq and a bottom bracket swap
Power2max with 24mm Shimano compatible crank
Pedals
Powertap hub

You will have no issues with having an 11 speed crank on a 10 speed set up. Chainline does not move enough for the derailleur to be a problem. It may need adjusted, but won't be an issue.

I have a Sram carbon crank, removable spider (10 speed chainline) with a Powertap C1, running on an 11 speed set up. Road bike has a Powertap hub.
Quote Reply
Re: Question about Shimano 6700 / 6800 and Quark compatibilities [SummitAK] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I expected to buy an entire new crank set as I didn't think the arms were independently exchangeable from the other parts (not the drive side, anyway). But that aside, you folks mean to tell me that this product:

https://www.quarq.com/...mwtxdooven227tlkcxpv

is NOT compatible with shimano cranks????? From the above link: "The DFour power meter spider works with Shimano®’s 11-speed Dura-Ace® 9000, Ultegra® 6800 and 105® 5800 chainrings."

Oh crap. Chainrings. Compatible with chainrings but not crank set. Damn I hate this. :-(

Quote Reply
Re: Question about Shimano 6700 / 6800 and Quark compatibilities [shoff14] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks much for providing some compatible options / food for thought.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just remember, the Powertap C1 needs 5 bolt pattern spiders, so 6800,6900 Ultegra or 5800,5900 105 is out. Finding a 6700 or 5700 165mm crank is next to impossible for a reasonable price.

Personally I like the C1, it works well. However crank compatibility is a pain in the rear.

If swapping between the two bike, I think your options with a Sram crank with either the Quarq or a C1 are your best bet. Bottom brackets are cheap relative to the whole purchase. You do need to be careful, there are bikes out there that may not work with a 30mm spindle as a 30mm bottom bracket may not fit.

Edit: One other note on Shimano cranks. Due to the way the left crank arm attaches, I personally don't think you want to be swapping it on a regular basis. Constantly tightening two bolts that hold the arm on could be come a problem with regular tightening.
Last edited by: shoff14: Aug 20, 17 14:58
Quote Reply
Re: Question about Shimano 6700 / 6800 and Quark compatibilities [shoff14] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks.. I currently have a Stages that I swapped between this and my prior TT bike. But I don't see swapping with a new setup; it would just stay on this bike (Trek Domane 6 series).

Reason for moving away from Stages is I'm tired of the varying reading I get between it's doubling my left side output and what I get via other sources.

As I understand it all the pedal based systems are Look and I just swapped to Shimano from Egg Beater. Not interested in changing that all up again. Don't want to go hub.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
OK, all these compatibility issues make my head spin. What about the dura ace 9100-p? Any reason I can't just drop that into my existing ultegra 6800/6700 set up? I imagine the BB would be the same as what I already have?

ETA, I've been confusing myself over the 6700/6800 nomenclature, b/c I have both. 6800 crank, 6700 derailleur. Whatever the cassette is, it's 10-spd.

Last edited by: Tsunami: Aug 21, 17 15:40
Quote Reply