Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Trump Nazi Comparisons are nonsensical [windywave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Would they accept it?

Of course theyd accept my anonymous donation.

who's smarter than you're? i'm!
Quote Reply
Re: Trump Nazi Comparisons are nonsensical [veganerd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
veganerd wrote:
Quote:
Would they accept it?

Would they accept it if they knew where the money came from?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
windywave wrote:
veganerd wrote:
Quote:
Would they accept it?

I cant speak for them.

How many of your dollars do you guess have been in the pockets of criminals? At least some of it has, And yet you spent it and couldnt tell the difference.

Why are you assigning agency to money? Do you do that with other inanimate objects?

If a criminal is given $5 for doing something illegal, but he later changes the $5 in for some coins, are the coins now tainted? What about the $5 bill he traded to the bank?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
windywave wrote:
I'm still trying to figure out the logic. Nazis are virulent antisemtics as it appears to be a foundation of their belief system. Trump's son in law, daughter (a convert and probably his favorite kid), and grandchildren are Jewish. It's very illogical to me, it just seems people want to call him a name and so Nazi is the flavor of the week. I'm opening to hearing the logical argument that he is one, but it will have to be convincing in that his family is Jewish.

The other side of that is why do you think so many white supremacists enthusiastically support Trump? They believe Trump is "theirs." Why would they think that? When his immediate family is Jewish, etc?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
veganerd wrote:
windywave wrote:
veganerd wrote:
Quote:
Would they accept it?

I cant speak for them.

How many of your dollars do you guess have been in the pockets of criminals? At least some of it has, And yet you spent it and couldnt tell the difference.

Why are you assigning agency to money? Do you do that with other inanimate objects?

If a criminal is given $5 for doing something illegal, but he later changes the $5 in for some coins, are the coins now tainted? What about the $5 bill he traded to the bank?

It is the value that is represented by the fiat that is tainted
Quote Reply
Re: Trump Nazi Comparisons are nonsensical [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
windywave wrote:
I'm still trying to figure out the logic. Nazis are virulent antisemtics as it appears to be a foundation of their belief system. Trump's son in law, daughter (a convert and probably his favorite kid), and grandchildren are Jewish. It's very illogical to me, it just seems people want to call him a name and so Nazi is the flavor of the week. I'm opening to hearing the logical argument that he is one, but it will have to be convincing in that his family is Jewish.

The other side of that is why do you think so many white supremacists enthusiastically support Trump? They believe Trump is "theirs." Why would they think that? When his immediate family is Jewish, etc?

Another quandry that i do not understand
Quote Reply
Re: Trump Nazi Comparisons are nonsensical [sphere] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Who here is calling Trump a Nazi, or Nazi sympathizer?

No one of course but it makes for a good distraction and a nice way to come to the defense of Trump without appearing to defend him.

But don't forget, they think Trump is an idiot...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:

So completely imaginary.

If you have $1 million from a criminal

And $1 million from a saint...

Which pile of money is incapable of doing as much good as the other?

Last edited by: veganerd: Aug 20, 17 6:42
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
windywave wrote:

My take on it is this.

Trump isn't far removed from legitimate white supremacists. He hired (and just fired) an architect of the alt-right. Breitbart.com isn't transparently white supremacist. But it's not far removed from transparent white supremacy, i.e. Stormfront. Just go into Breitbart comment sections, and there's some real ugly stuff in there. Remember that the alt-right Deplora-ball to celebrate Trump's election had to explicitly ban Nazi salutes.

So both sides see the infamous politician's "dog whistle." Supremacists think he's doing a wink-wink at them. Left-wing Trump critics think the same.

It was the same for Obama. Obama had associations with (though didn't directly hire) Bill Ayers, a former left-wing extremist with the Weather Underground, the Rev. Jeremiah Right, who used some plainly anti-Semitic rhetoric. And he tried to appoint Van Jones, who advocated for a convicted cop killer and had other ties to leftists groups pretty far up there on the militant scale (though now is a pretty milquetoast CNN commentator). Some on the left saw this as the left-extremist dog whistle and thought Obama was going to go full Panther in the White House. Some on the right thought the same (go look in the threads from 2008 in this forum portending the End of American As We Know It). But Obama was pretty clearly not an anti-Semite, nor an overt black supremacist. He didn't go full Panther by any stretch. In the same way Trump is pretty clearly not an anti-Semite, nor an overt white supremacist. He's a buffoon, but he's not Richard Spencer by any stretch.
Quote Reply
Re: Trump Nazi Comparisons are nonsensical [Sanuk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sanuk wrote:
Who here is calling Trump a Nazi, or Nazi sympathizer?

No one of course but it makes for a good distraction and a nice way to come to the defense of Trump without appearing to defend him.

But don't forget, they think Trump is an idiot...

I did not say on here now did I? See above
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Johnson/Weld 2016.

You folks had your chance, but instead it came down to a choice between Felonia Von Pantsuit and a guy who makes Thornton Melon in "Back to School" look like the height of class and discernment. ;-)

"Politics is just show business for ugly people."
Quote Reply
Re: Trump Nazi Comparisons are nonsensical [big kahuna] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm curious if that's a reply to me or a general reply
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
windywave wrote:

General reply, sir. Directed at no one in particular. Despite the fact that all of you voted for one or the other of those two fine folks. Yes, only I kept my honor clean in this regard. ;-)

Quote Reply
Re: Trump Nazi Comparisons are nonsensical [big kahuna] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
big kahuna wrote:
windywave wrote:

General reply, sir. Directed at no one in particular. Despite the fact that all of you voted for one or the other of those two fine folks. Yes, only I kept my honor clean in this regard. ;-)

Not just you BK. I voted for neither either ;)

===============
Proud member of the MSF (Maple Syrup Mafia)
Quote Reply
Re: Trump Nazi Comparisons are nonsensical [CaptainCanada] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
CaptainCanada wrote:
big kahuna wrote:
windywave wrote:

Not just you BK. I voted for neither either ;)

We are kith and kin, then, sir. :-)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
   Van Jones was part of the Obama admin for a while, as green jobs advisor. He was a frequent target of the right for his being a communist and radical lefty. i actually like him as a commentator, as whether you agree or not, he is thoughtful, independent minded, and well spoken.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
windywave wrote:

My take on it is this.

Trump isn't far removed from legitimate white supremacists. He hired (and just fired) an architect of the alt-right. Breitbart.com isn't transparently white supremacist. But it's not far removed from transparent white supremacy, i.e. Stormfront. Just go into Breitbart comment sections, and there's some real ugly stuff in there. Remember that the alt-right Deplora-ball to celebrate Trump's election had to explicitly ban Nazi salutes.

So both sides see the infamous politician's "dog whistle." Supremacists think he's doing a wink-wink at them. Left-wing Trump critics think the same.

It was the same for Obama. Obama had associations with (though didn't directly hire) Bill Ayers, a former left-wing extremist with the Weather Underground, the Rev. Jeremiah Right, who used some plainly anti-Semitic rhetoric. And he tried to appoint Van Jones, who advocated for a convicted cop killer and had other ties to leftists groups pretty far up there on the militant scale (though now is a pretty milquetoast CNN commentator). Some on the left saw this as the left-extremist dog whistle and thought Obama was going to go full Panther in the White House. Some on the right thought the same (go look in the threads from 2008 in this forum portending the End of American As We Know It). But Obama was pretty clearly not an anti-Semite, nor an overt black supremacist. He didn't go full Panther by any stretch. In the same way Trump is pretty clearly not an anti-Semite, nor an overt white supremacist. He's a buffoon, but he's not Richard Spencer by any stretch.

+1. We see what we want to see. If you want to tell yourself scary bedtime stories about Barak Obama there are facts to be told all around you. The same is true, obviously, about Trump. At the same time, it has to be about more than facts because the truth is that there are so many facts that never get mentioned while people are getting themselves all riled up. The story has to include balance.

The great American philosophical shortcoming is believing that, as long as you've got facts, you don't need fairness or balance.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
veganerd wrote:
Quote:

So completely imaginary.

If you have $1 million from a criminal

And $1 million from a saint...

Which pile of money is incapable of doing as much good as the other?

You're right. I think I even recall some research suggesting that the quid pro quo of even corporate campaign contributions rarely gets its "quo". Somehow the media has staked out the position that appearances matter above all -- and it's stuck. The media finds you've taken money from "bad guys" and, generally, your campaign is in trouble.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well, there is the whole thing about his family believing in the "Racehorse Theory" of development and that his family is rich because they are "genetically superior" to all the poor people...sounds kinda Nazi to me. But in reality actual WWII era Nazis, who didn't fuck around, would have probably shot him and his clan within minutes for being the incompetent idiots they are, so Nazi isn't the best description. I'd say the boy in the bubble theory is probably more appropriate....very little exposure to reality giving him some pretty f'd up perspectives.
Quote Reply

Prev Next