Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Attorneys: 3L with no ties to desired market
Quote | Reply
I've been complaining on ST for two years about my law school experience, but I have finally made it to my last year. Now the *real* fun begins with finding a job and bar prep. Since there are some partners/shareholders on here: is there anything I can do to convince the hiring partners to give a Florida law student with no ties to Colorado a look? I have decent credentials (top 17%, law review, summered at a regional big law firm), but no family/experience out there. Also, the Florida Bar doesn't offer reciprocity so I would be stuck either taking only the Colorado bar or taking both the Florida bar and then the Colorado bar 6 months later.

I have yet to hear from the firm I summered with re: an offer, but I have three possible options:

1. The Florida firm offers and I accept and work in Florida for a few years and try my best to lateral to Colorado;
2. The Florida firm offers and I decline and try my best to find something in Colorado; or
3. the Florida firm doesn't offer and I look strictly to Colorado.

Another added dimension is that I have the ability to intern my last semester in Colorado in lieu in being in Florida taking classes. It's the "semester in practice" program and allows 3Ls to work in their desired market to try and establish themselves and network into a job. I am 90% sure I'm going to do it, so long as I can find a corporation/gov't agency that deals with real estate/land use/environmental law.

I would love any n=1's. FWIW, my debt load is absolutely manageable—I will be able to pay it all off in 2 years if I'm smart about budgeting.

@floathammerholdon | @partners_in_tri
Last edited by: clogs: Aug 19, 17 7:41
Quote Reply
Re: Attorneys: 3L with no ties to desired market [clogs] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm president of my firm. I have done all the hiring since we split from our old firm and opened our doors in 2010. I have interviewed a lot of law school candidates from out of state. What I look for is ties to WI. I went to law school out of state, even though I was born and raised in Green Bay, WI. So, I don't really care where you went to law school, so long as you can show me you really want to be in the Milwaukee area. I have had applicants from Chicago schools say they want to be in Milwaukee, but it is clear they just want a job and some experience so they can go back to Chicago. But, those who show me why they want to be here get my attention.

For new grads, I don't really look at the fact that you may not know WI law if you went to school in another state. Basically, new grads don't know shit, and REALLY don't know how to be a lawyer. I'm going to train you in that regard, so that is not my concern.

Speaking for myself only, in your case, taking the internship in CO would make me believe you really wanted to be in CO. That would be all I needed to see to feel better about considering you if I was hiring for the CO firm.

I interned in Dallas when I was in law school. I had no ties to Dallas, except I really liked Texas. I got an offer from the firm. I had no ties to TX except for an aunt and uncle in a Dallas suburb.

One more thing - I have discussed this with a lot of hiring partners at other firms who take the same approach - I care far more about your grades and class rank than the school you attended. Granted, if you are at the bottom of the top 20%, the law school you attended may give you a bit of a nod. But, top 10% is top 10% regardless of where you went to school. Also, I want litigators and counselors who can take a position and defend it, not a law review jedi who will merely regurgitate the law without taking a position. I look at your clerking position and your extra curriculars like law review, moot court, and mock trial.

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers

Emery's Third Coast Triathlon | Tri Wisconsin Triathlon Team | Push Endurance | GLWR
Quote Reply
Re: Attorneys: 3L with no ties to desired market [JSA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I moved from Texas to Colorado four years ago. Although I was already an established attorney, like you, I didn't really have any business/work ties to Colorado. I really began looking to move in 2007, but I wasn't able to make it happen for 6 years. I was, however, lucky enough to have a brother living here who is also an attorney (though not in my field). I used that connection to meet other attorneys . . . most of whom were not in my field, but who could refer me to other attorneys they knew who DID work in my field. One of those connections ultimately resulted in a job offer and got me my move in 2013.

In my opinion, you need to start making connections here in Colorado. The interning semester might be a very good idea, but it's not without risks. If you intern here in Colorado, you risk sending the message to any connections (like your summer firm) that you're not interested in staying in Florida. It may be better to have a job in Florida and then start looking here. Of course, since you don't already have the job, and you may not be offered one, it may be a mistake not to come to Colorado for your intern semester. It's really a decision only you can assess based on your wants/needs/expectations from the summer firm.

Where in Colorado are you looking to move? I'm in the Denver area, and while I don't know many real estate or land use lawyers outside the couple who work at Arapahoe County with me, I'd be more than happy to make an introduction to those guys to see if they would be willing to talk with you and refer you to others who could be resources. The only way I know to get started in a place where you have no contacts is to start cultivating contacts. I got my first job here from a contact who was about six degrees removed from my original contact (my brother). Took me a while, so I'd suggest you get started immediately.

Feel free to PM me if you want to.

''The enemy isn't conservatism. The enemy isn't liberalism. The enemy is bulls**t.''

—Lars-Erik Nelson
Quote Reply
Re: Attorneys: 3L with no ties to desired market [JSA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JSA wrote:
I'm president of my firm. I have done all the hiring since we split from our old firm and opened our doors in 2010. I have interviewed a lot of law school candidates from out of state. What I look for is ties to WI. I went to law school out of state, even though I was born and raised in Green Bay, WI. So, I don't really care where you went to law school, so long as you can show me you really want to be in the Milwaukee area. I have had applicants from Chicago schools say they want to be in Milwaukee, but it is clear they just want a job and some experience so they can go back to Chicago. But, those who show me why they want to be here get my attention.

For new grads, I don't really look at the fact that you may not know WI law if you went to school in another state. Basically, new grads don't know shit, and REALLY don't know how to be a lawyer. I'm going to train you in that regard, so that is not my concern.

Speaking for myself only, in your case, taking the internship in CO would make me believe you really wanted to be in CO. That would be all I needed to see to feel better about considering you if I was hiring for the CO firm.

I interned in Dallas when I was in law school. I had no ties to Dallas, except I really liked Texas. I got an offer from the firm. I had no ties to TX except for an aunt and uncle in a Dallas suburb.

One more thing - I have discussed this with a lot of hiring partners at other firms who take the same approach - I care far more about your grades and class rank than the school you attended. Granted, if you are at the bottom of the top 20%, the law school you attended may give you a bit of a nod. But, top 10% is top 10% regardless of where you went to school. Also, I want litigators and counselors who can take a position and defend it, not a law review jedi who will merely regurgitate the law without taking a position. I look at your clerking position and your extra curriculars like law review, moot court, and mock trial.

I agree with everything JSA said, particularly the connection to CO. Firms don't make much $$ from young associates during their training years. The firm is investing in you and wants assurances you will stick around when your skills grow & become profitable.

I switched from law firm to an in-house role a few years ago in IP. So, my world is a bit different from JSA's. However, I also do not have much patience with outside counsel that are all theory and no business/real world experience. Learn to make decisions and support/defend them.

My 2 cents - take the CO internship. Also, when looking at firms, understand the balance between your salary and life satisfaction. Salary correlates to hours billed, which correlates to hours worked (not 1:1), which correlates to job stress & stability. If possible, find a place that will have the culture you want. Don't jump at the largest number unless you understand the big picture.

Enjoy the ride. It can be stressful and demanding. But, it is also a lot of fun.

Cheers!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'll use my brother's experience since I never practiced law. I'll second what Danno said about connections. My brother took it a step further and basically trolled the alumni database, firm websites, bar associations, and corporations with large in house departments to finds the alumni for his school (I'll hazard a guess that his directory was more thorough than the school's) and email them to discuss how they got where they were and any advice. His resume has an awesome summer associate position on it now because one of those emails turned into an offer. Also my brother doesn't practice the law he thought he was going to out of school. He found something he really likes and is evidently really good at.

JSA why are you so bitter? People from Chicago are probably happy to do the reverse commute to your suburb. When they get the high speed done it will be 45 minutes on the train and I'll live in Whitefish Bay and work in the loop.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
also a firm partner here, just hired a new 3L who starts on Monday. if you want to practice in Colorado you must do the semester in Colorado, in my opinion. ties to the area are key -- because, as others have reiterated, if you work for two years and leave, it is just a pain in the ass for the firm. i'm a transactional attorney, so in my view it is even worse if you leave -- i have clients that are not one-time litigation issues, they are long-term transactional clients. if i train you, begin turning clients over to you, and then you leave, i have to start all over again and assuage the clients i handed over to you. i think you will also need to just move to Colorado and take a leap of faith post law school if you don't have something lined up. that will show commitment to the geography, from my view. if you are a church person, start going to church when you are spending your semester in CO, if you are a mountain biking guy, get involved in a mountain biking club during the semester -- give teh firm a reason to see you immediately got involved in a community thing. doesn't matter what it is, and then tell them how much you are looking forward to getting back to the community thing when you move back to colorado. hope this helps.
Quote Reply
Re: Attorneys: 3L with no ties to desired market [wdrhoads] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for all the advice! These responses are exactly what I was looking for.

@floathammerholdon | @partners_in_tri
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I concur. If you want to practice law in Colorado, go to Colorado. Do the internship. Build the network. Start growing your roots there. Take and pass the Colorado bar (the first time).

I am a partner in a large California firm. We hire almost all of our new associates through our summer associate program. It is common for us to invite people into our summer class from out of state schools. When I interview these candidates, it is important for me to know why they want to come to California (besides the weather and the beach) and, more importantly, to my firm.

When you meet people in Colorado, e.g., potential employers, consider not only articulating the reasons you plan to develop a life and legal career in that state, but also why you are interested in the particular firm/company/public agency with whom you're interviewing. Unless you're desperate for money, which is always possible, don't settle on any job. Find something that will interest and motivate you. Practicing law can be a brutal grind, but it can be less so if you like your colleagues and the nature of the work you'll be doing.

Good luck.
Quote Reply