Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

How to ride with road rash on your hip
Quote | Reply
How do you guys continue riding with road rash? I crashed 2 days ago and have a naaty patch on my left hip......cant bear wearing jeans and cant imagine wearing bib shorts right now.....do i put a pair of speedos on and just do short rides.......cover it somehow?
Quote Reply
Re: How to ride with road rash on your hip [blaxxuede] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've never had road rash so bad I couldn't wear spandex. How are you dressing it?

If it really is that bad I'd say skip the bike until you can tolerate wearing bike shorts.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You HTFU and ride..........j/k. I would say if you are that desperate to ride you have to cover the area with gauze and tape it up. I wouldn't totally recommend that because you will slow down the healing process if you are repeatedly moving it. But not sure how bad it is so either give it several days or ride in pain
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Easy, just dont wear bibs and ride indoors on the trainer :)
Quote Reply
Re: How to ride with road rash on your hip [griffeyfan04] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not that bad......it would be totally fine if it was lower.....but on the hip it just hurts when stuff rubs against it......just a bad spot!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Keep it covered and keep it moist. Use the nonstick gauze pads and paper type tape. Cover it all up and put the shorts on.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Cover the road rash with Tegaderm.
Quote Reply
Re: How to ride with road rash on your hip [geauxTT] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
blaxxuede wrote:
How do you guys continue riding with road rash? I crashed 2 days ago and have a naaty patch on my left hip......cant bear wearing jeans and cant imagine wearing bib shorts right now.....do i put a pair of speedos on and just do short rides.......cover it somehow?

We used to get a new sock, cut the end off (toes) and then roll it up like a doughnut. Then you could place it over the scuffed hip and tape it on. Put your shorts over the top and you're away. I have ridden more than 1 stage race as a kid with a doughnut on my hip!

http://www.sweat7.com
Facebook Page: Sweat7
Twitter: @sweat7coaching
Quote Reply
Re: How to ride with road rash on your hip [salmonsteve] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Another way is to wear the shorts/bibs you crashed in. There is probably a hole in them right where the road rash is. If necessary you can enlarge the hole so that there is no fabric chafing.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If it's still "leaking", I'd order a box of these --
https://www.amazon.com/Medline-MSC2044EP-OptiFoam-Adhesive-Dressings/dp/B00JFRB7EC/

My mom's a nurse for a home health agency and when I last crashed, here office's "wound nurse" sent me a box and they worked really well! I was using that + "Tegaderm" over top with pretty good luck. My road rash was probably 3" in diameter from skidding across the road at about 30MPH.

Re: riding, TBH, I didn't get back on the bike anything soon. It just hurt way too much. If you can deal with the pain, the stuff above, or a ton of gauze padding, should do the trick. I had so much pain that even water from showering nearly caused me to pass out.... so it's all in perspective :-)!

Good luck! And buy tons of Neosporin or the generic. You want to keep everything moist while it heals to lessen the scarring.
Quote Reply
Re: How to ride with road rash on your hip [daswafford] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not worried bout the scarring! Really would be cool to add a few more to the collection. I just dont want to keep the wound open and prolong healing. Mine is at least 6 inch round if not closer to 8, but its not very deep. I think it hit hard though as the bruise underneath is still a tad swelled. I may wait a few days and try the tegaderm or wearing my old shorts, although i dont have any races scheduled. Its just the itch to train
Quote Reply
Re: How to ride with road rash on your hip [geauxTT] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
geauxTT wrote:
Cover the road rash with Tegaderm.
This! Seriously!

-shoki
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nexcare Tegaderm.

--------------------------------------------------
Yeah, it's a great bike but the engine needs work.
Quote Reply