Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Joan of Arc Fought for the Confederacy! Wait, What?
Quote | Reply
Another day, another statue of a military hero is vandalized, this time down in New Orleans. The Big Easy's smartest folks spied out this figure astride a horse and vandalized it with the words "Tear It Down." Fair enough, I suppose.

Unfortunately, the figure on the horse wasn't Robert E. Lee or Thomas "Stonewall Jackson" or even that most reviled of Southerners, Nathan Bedford Forrest, founder of the Ku Klux Klan. No, this one actually hailed from the north. Of France, that is: ;-)

"The phrase "Tear it Down" was hastily sprayed in black paint across the base of the golden Joan of Arc statue on Decatur Street in the French Quarter sometime earlier this week. It has since been removed, with only the vaguest traces of the paint remaining.

The "Tear it Down" tag would seem to relate to the debate surrounding the city's ongoing removal of four Confederate monuments. But the statue of Joan of Arc, a 15th-century military leader, martyr and Catholic saint, hasn't been mentioned in the controversy to this point.

Amy Kirk Duvoisin, the founder of the annual Joan of Arc parade that ceremonially pauses at the statue on the first day of Carnival season, says she's confused by the vandalism.

"Surely, people realize she's not related to American history," she said referring to the French icon."

I wouldn't be too sure about that, ma'am.

Joan of Arc statue in French Quarter tagged with 'Tear It Down' graffiti | NOLA.com

"Politics is just show business for ugly people."
Quote Reply
Re: Joan of Arc Fought for the Confederacy! Wait, What? [big kahuna] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Lincoln Memorial, too.
Quote Reply
Re: Joan of Arc Fought for the Confederacy! Wait, What? [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
Lincoln Memorial, too.

Big dummies. I blame our schools. And the dummies' parents. ;-)

Quote Reply
Re: Joan of Arc Fought for the Confederacy! Wait, What? [big kahuna] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
    I have a dark confession to make. Last week the girlfriend called and asked for me to come get a dog out of a ditch. Poor dog has a bum back leg, and was so tired out it could almost not move by the time I scurried down, lifted and carried it out. I'm pretty sure this is the same dog I've heard our redneck neighbor kid screaming for as Stonewall Jackson. Yes, I just saved Stonewall Jackson so he can fight another day...sorry.
Quote Reply
Re: Joan of Arc Fought for the Confederacy! Wait, What? [dave_w] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dave_w wrote:
I have a dark confession to make. Last week the girlfriend called and asked for me to come get a dog out of a ditch. Poor dog has a bum back leg, and was so tired out it could almost not move by the time I scurried down, lifted and carried it out. I'm pretty sure this is the same dog I've heard our redneck neighbor kid screaming for as Stonewall Jackson. Yes, I just saved Stonewall Jackson so he can fight another day...sorry.

Hahahahahahaha! Hey! Every dog has its day, right? ;-)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Idiots be idiots.

This is really no different from Hindu Temples being vandalized after 9/11.

How does Danny Hart sit down with balls that big?
Quote Reply
Re: Joan of Arc Fought for the Confederacy! Wait, What? [BLeP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BLeP wrote:
Idiots be idiots.

This is really no different from Hindu Temples being vandalized after 9/11.

Remember that woman that almost ran over some Mexican-Americans with her car shortly after 9/11 claiming "I hate Muslims and Hindus for 9/11."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I blame GW Bush and the Freedom Fries movement.

I'm beginning to think that we are much more fucked than I thought.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Maybe they saw one or both of the 1999 movies.
Quote Reply
Re: Joan of Arc Fought for the Confederacy! Wait, What? [BLeP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Or the paediatricians who got subject to a hate campaign when the child molestation mob took hold in the UK a few years ago.

Medieval English lives matter.

Swim. Overbike. Walk.
Quote Reply