Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Is this what having satellite tv is like for everyone?
Quote | Reply
I've always had cable (well, since cable became a thing), never Dish or DirectTV or whatever satellite provider was available. However, I recently moved into some temporary housing that comes equipped with Dish. Ive been here maybe two months, and every single time even a little rain rolls through,....complete loss of tv signal. Without fail, every single time, sometimes for hours. It's not the end of the world or anything, but it's annoying. Is this basically just how commercial satellite tv always works? Or does this complex just have shitty ditches or bad setup?

Slowguy

(insert pithy phrase here...)
Quote Reply
Re: Is this what having satellite tv is like for everyone? [slowguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bad set up

I had it for two years in an apartment no issues and the only time my parent's has gone out is when the dish was physically covered with a snow drift
Quote Reply
Re: Is this what having satellite tv is like for everyone? [windywave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
windywave wrote:
Bad set up

I had it for two years in an apartment no issues and the only time my parent's has gone out is when the dish was physically covered with a snow drift

Ok. I can't imagine people would continue to pay for it if this was the standard level of reliability.

Slowguy

(insert pithy phrase here...)
Quote Reply
Re: Is this what having satellite tv is like for everyone? [slowguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It's certainly gotten better over the last several years, too. My dad's old dish was inconsistent. His new one never goes out. Ever. Which is too damn bad, because Fox News is on 90% of the time I'm ever at his house. How I long for the days of his crappy dish.

slowguy wrote:
windywave wrote:
Bad set up

Ok. I can't imagine people would continue to pay for it if this was the standard level of reliability.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
When we had satellite ours would go out in really heavy rain (like Monsoon levels). Only other thing would be if wet sticky snow built up - one snowball to bang it off solved that.

You have a shitty setup.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That's exactly what my system was like at Fort Riley ... about 20 years ago. Sounds like you have the same unit I had ... 20 years ago ...

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers

Emery's Third Coast Triathlon | Tri Wisconsin Triathlon Team | Push Endurance | GLWR
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
We had it for about 5 years. It only went down in really bad electrical storms. For us it was maybe once a year.

How does Danny Hart sit down with balls that big?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have DISH now and have for several years with great results. While it doesn't rain in Las Vegas very often, when it does, it's monsoon-like levels and I have not lost signal, just maybe a degradation of digital signal. It has only improved over the years that I have had satellite service.

As others have stated, you got a raw deal.

DFL > DNF > DNS
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
We had satellite in rural Spain and had the same problems with rain/clouds until we had the dish direction adjusted.
Quote Reply
Re: Is this what having satellite tv is like for everyone? [Zenmaster28] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Zenmaster28 wrote:
Only other thing would be if wet sticky snow built up - one snowball to bang it off solved that.

Reminds me of the multi-day ice storm we had a few years ago. Got tired of no TV and my dish is on the roof so I was hanging out the window with a water bottle spaying my dish down with warm water.

I lose signal on rare occasions, and get it back quickly.

I'm beginning to think that we are much more fucked than I thought.
Quote Reply