Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Tech Question: 23mm Latex tubes for 25mm Conti GP TT tires
Quote | Reply
I've got a pair of 25mm Conti GP TT tires and saw some Vittoria latex tubes on sale that are 700 x 19/23c. Will this setup work without removing the whole benefit of using latex tubes?

I've got a 40K TT coming up. Myself plus bike will come in at about 213 lbs so I'll need to run a higher tire pressure than most so I'm wondering if extra leakage will occur due to the extra circumference of the tire and will that be a factor in a ride that lasts a little over an hour.
Quote Reply
Re: Tech Question: 23mm Latex tubes for 25mm Conti GP TT tires [TrierinKC] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I use a 23mm Vittoria Latex tube in my 25mm Conti GP TT. No issues.

Make Inside Out Sports your next online tri shop! http://www.insideoutsports.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Tech Question: 23mm Latex tubes for 25mm Conti GP TT tires [TrierinKC] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I run this set up with the 25-28 vittoria tubes. Keep in mind that the 25C GP TTs run wide. They measure at like 27-28mm. I personally wouldn't do it, but that's just me. Will it work? Probably.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'd recommend against it. Latex doesn't fill spaces well. It might work, but it also might suddenly pop and deflate -- most likely sometime soon after you inflate it, but possibly later. You can get the larger ones from probikekit for a good price and, if you don't have time to wait for them to be shipped from Europe, biketiresdirect will price match and get them to you in a couple days.
Quote Reply
Re: Tech Question: 23mm Latex tubes for 25mm Conti GP TT tires [lanierb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the feedback gents, much appreciated!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I guess I'll be changing mine too to the 25mm one. Ordering some now

Make Inside Out Sports your next online tri shop! http://www.insideoutsports.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I use the standard 700x18-23mm tunes with 700x28mm Conti GP4000 II tires- and these tires measure out 31mm.
But I run them down near 65psi and I weight 145 lb.

That said, I think a heavier rider could run them with 25mm tires. It is not like higher pressure makes the tubes fail more easily.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've run my 23mm Latex tubes in my 25 wide tires for years with no issues. This is with the wider HED rims too. I wouldn't think twice about it.

---
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

I routinely run my 20C michelin latex tubes with all kinds of tires from 20 to 25. One of the tubes is 12 years old now. Still works.

I think you'll be ok.

My latest book: "Out of the Melting Pot, Into the Fire" is on sale on Amazon and at other online and local booksellers
Quote Reply
Re: Tech Question: 23mm Latex tubes for 25mm Conti GP TT tires [jens] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I found the best latex tubes to be the red challenge ones.
They are 19-28mm
Quote Reply
Re: Tech Question: 23mm Latex tubes for 25mm Conti GP TT tires [lyrrad] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There are a few threads about this. Most people seem to agree that it is no problem. Latex is stretchy. The 25/28 latex tubes seem hard to come by lately so I was researching the same question.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just an update and a thanks to y'all for your input.

This was my first open 40K TT. The course was flat, only 280 feet of gain per Garmin 920XT.
My bike is a 2015 Felt B14, all stock components except a Profile Design Ozero basebar and T2+ aerobars, both carbon.

I was going to borrow some deeper wheels from a friend but turns out his hub could only do 10 speed and I needed an 11 speed. So stock wheels it was.

But I did install the Conti GP TT tires and the 25mm latex tubes. I was really careful with the tubes but it wasn't really that difficult. And the TT's went on a lot easier than the GP 4000S II's. Either that or I'm getting better at installing new tires.

I pumped up the the recommended limit for the tires (120 psi) and gave 'er a test run of only a few miles the night before.

I'm not in my best bike shape but my goal was to go under an hour. There was some wind but nothing over 10 mph.

i signed up for Masters 50-59.

In another thread around the same time as this one it was mentioned that hydration should not be an issue over this distance if you're properly hydrated so I followed that advice and removed all bottle cages from the bike.

I don't have a power meter, don't go by HR while riding so it was just gut feel.
I went out at 90-95% knowing that 40K is a long way. I was saving the hurt for the last half. It was an out&back and I hit the turnaround at 29:47 and I thought "wow, maybe I can hit my goal". I felt NO wind on the way out but heading back there it was. It wasn't a lot but it was there and I felt like I was much slower than going out. I just tried to hold aero as best I could and ground it out.

I came in at 59:52, super happy with that time.
Not sure how much the tires and latex helped but I'm thinking that might have made the different between 59:52 and 60:00.

I finished 3rd in AG, some pretty good riders out there. I would have won the Cat 4 category as the 3 guys on the podium all went just over an hour.

Anyhow thanks again for your input.
Quote Reply