Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Trainer wheel with disc brake bike
Quote | Reply
I've been using a spare rear wheel for my trainer so I don't wear out my road tire. I'm planning to upgrade my current rim brake bike to a disc brake bike. Basic question but I'm new to discs - will I be able to still use the spare rear wheel on the trainer with a disc brake bike or do I need to buy a new wheel? Is there a way to modify the wheel so it works?
Thanks!
Quote Reply
Re: Trainer wheel with disc brake bike [wahoowatri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
wahoowatri wrote:
I've been using a spare rear wheel for my trainer so I don't wear out my road tire. I'm planning to upgrade my current rim brake bike to a disc brake bike. Basic question but I'm new to discs - will I be able to still use the spare rear wheel on the trainer with a disc brake bike or do I need to buy a new wheel? Is there a way to modify the wheel so it works?
Thanks!

If the rear dropout spacing is the same you might be able to use the old wheel.

The other thing to consider is if the disc bike uses a quick release or though axle to mount the wheel. If its through axle you may need a new wheel. Some hubs can be converted from quick release to through axle, that may be an option if the conversion parts are available for your hub.

You also may need a through axle adapter to use the new bike on the trainer.

If you are keeping the old bike you could just use it as a trainer bike and ride the new bike outside.
Quote Reply
Re: Trainer wheel with disc brake bike [wahoowatri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
wahoowatri, I'm having the same question.
I'm buying a new road bike with disc wheels (canyon aeroad).
Could you use the spare wheel?
Quote Reply
Re: Trainer wheel with disc brake bike [denissw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If you wheel is quick release, and bike though axle I think that will be a non starter. If both are quick release, you will still and different dropout widths, 130mm for your rim brake wheel and 135mm disk brake bike. I suspect a couple of spacers (even just washers) would be OK to make up the difference. The gear indexing would be out but probably wouldn't matter too much for a trainer as you wouldn't need the full range.
Quote Reply