Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Is CTL relative over time?
Quote | Reply
This might be a dumb question but does the same CTL number from 4 years ago, when I was brand new to the sport, reflect the same amount of fitness as today or is it relative to the fitness I've built up over the years? In other words, does 80 CTL in 2013 equal 80 CTL in 2017 given consistent training over those years?
Quote Reply
Re: Is CTL relative over time? [S Train] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If you are updating FTP and training is consistent (as you said) then yes, a CTL of 80 would be the same as a CTL of 80 from four years ago.

This is because CTL is based off of the TSS of a workout so if you get stronger but never update your FTP then you will get inflated TSS/IF metrics from your workouts. This in turn would inflate your CTL as well.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
An 80 CTL with an FTP of 200 is very different than an 80 CTL with an FTP of 300, but both are CTL of 80.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A CTL of 80 means that your can theoretically go out and accumulate a training load of 80 points every day without developing fatigue. That's your "fitness" level.

In 2013 those 80 point workouts would have had lower absolute power values because your FTP was lower, and now they'll have higher values because your FTP is higher.

So the 80 CTLs are equal in the sense that you're "fit" enough to go do the same relative amount of training each day without developing fatigue, but they're different in that the absolute numbers in those workouts are higher now than they were in 2013 due to your increased FTP.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think FTP/CP and MAPx (Maximum Average Power for x duration) are measures of fitness but CTL is not.

Ale Martinez
www.amtriathlon.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ctl is not fitness, and does not at all represent it.

https://markmcdermott.substack.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
S Train wrote:
This might be a dumb question but does the same CTL number from 4 years ago, when I was brand new to the sport, reflect the same amount of fitness as today or is it relative to the fitness I've built up over the years?

CTL is a function of TSS. TSS is a function of IF. By definition IF is relative (to FTP / etc). Which makes TSS and CTL relative, not absolute numbers.

It took me a while to wrap my brain around the fact that IF is a relative number. Once that sunk in everything else made sense.
Quote Reply
Re: Is CTL relative over time? [wcb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks, All, that's what I was thinking. I don't know why this is just dawning on me now but I was noticing that my race results get better year over year but generally my CTL before the races are about the same year over year (not that this would always be the case, just so happens to be true for me), even though my workout volume and intensity has also increased over the years.

I guess that does make sense, given that the race distances are constant. In other words, "it never gets easier, you just get faster." Seems obvious, now that I think about it.
Quote Reply
Re: Is CTL relative over time? [dennis.cottreau] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dennis.cottreau wrote:
A CTL of 80 means that your can theoretically go out and accumulate a training load of 80 points every day without developing fatigue. That's your "fitness" level.

In 2013 those 80 point workouts would have had lower absolute power values because your FTP was lower, and now they'll have higher values because your FTP is higher.

So the 80 CTLs are equal in the sense that you're "fit" enough to go do the same relative amount of training each day without developing fatigue, but they're different in that the absolute numbers in those workouts are higher now than they were in 2013 due to your increased FTP.

Have you ever gone through an extended hard training block where your CTL peaked and thought to yourself...I need a few recovery days because I can't keep this up? Or have you gone through an extended off season where your CTL bottomed out, but you thought to yourself you could easily train a lot more if you simply wanted to or had the time?

Yeah...so CTL isn't what you say it is. It's simply a measure of your recent training load.
Quote Reply
Re: Is CTL relative over time? [Jason N] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jason N wrote:
It's simply a measure of your recent training load.

Absolutely. Definitely agree about that!
Quote Reply