Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Latex tire tips [Darro020] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Darro020 wrote:
Hi Everyone,

I am looking at switching to latex tubes (Vittoria) for my Ironman race in Coeur d'Alene next week. Is there anything that I should be aware of? I am going to get them installed at the bike shop in town (free of charge) just to be safe. I am riding Felt TTR4 wheels with Continental 4000 2 tires. I will be bringing butyl spares for the race. Do I need sealant?

Thanks!

DO Not put sealant in any tubes, .... just get the latex tubes install them as normal tubes and be happy, no more pinched flats. It is much harder to flat on latex than normal tubes, and they are more comfortable.
Quote Reply
Re: Latex tire tips [Darro020] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Darro020 wrote:
did take my bike to the local bike shop to get the latex tubes installed
You should practice installing the latex tubes yourself. It's not hard.
Quote Reply
Re: Latex tire tips [sebo2000] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sebo2000 wrote:
Darro020 wrote:
Hi Everyone,

I am looking at switching to latex tubes (Vittoria) for my Ironman race in Coeur d'Alene next week. Is there anything that I should be aware of? I am going to get them installed at the bike shop in town (free of charge) just to be safe. I am riding Felt TTR4 wheels with Continental 4000 2 tires. I will be bringing butyl spares for the race. Do I need sealant?

Thanks!

DO Not put sealant in any tubes, .... just get the latex tubes install them as normal tubes and be happy, no more pinched flats. It is much harder to flat on latex than normal tubes, and they are more comfortable.

Why not (sealant)? I've had discussions with people over the last few days about latex tubes.....sealant....rim tape....etc......and some (even 1 I consider a major wheel mfr) say they've never heard of such.

Why sealant.....or...why not?

Thanks.
Quote Reply
Re: Latex tire tips [nc452010] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
nc452010 wrote:
sebo2000 wrote:
Darro020 wrote:
Hi Everyone,

Thanks!

Why not (sealant)? I've had discussions with people over the last few days about latex tubes.....sealant....rim tape....etc......and some (even 1 I consider a major wheel mfr) say they've never heard of such.

Why sealant.....or...why not?

Thanks.
I'm curious too. There's three reasons I haven't used sealant yet:
  1. I haven't had any punctures that I can recall using either butyl or latex tubes in the last 2 years. So puncture risk is not high on my list of worries.
  2. I haven't been using the tri bike in winter except on the trainer with a different rear wheel, and I have the idea, whether valid or imagined, that sealant might make a mess of latex tubes if sitting un-inflated and unused for months on end.
  3. I haven't gotten around to looking into which sealant might be best for my purposes.

Quote Reply

Prev Next