Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Official ITU WC Multisport festival thread [HuffNPuff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
HuffNPuff wrote:
* The announcer was Mr Easy Listening ... please find someone with more energy.

That's Steve King you're talking about

Internet User
Quote Reply
Re: Official ITU WC Multisport festival thread [Dark Mark] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dark Mark wrote:
HuffNPuff wrote:

* The announcer was Mr Easy Listening ... please find someone with more energy.

That's Steve King you're talking about

Steve King was by far the more amazing announcer I have EVER heard. He was at the mic for well over 12 hours on Sunday, and talking the entire time about each athlete.

He has has completed the badwater 135 mile race.

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Last edited by: h2ofun: Aug 29, 17 7:59
Quote Reply
Re: Official ITU WC Multisport festival thread [Trauma] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So recapping, was the festival 2 weekends in length? How did the locals handle that? How were road closures handled?

So it was Duathlon worlds (regular/sprint) + LC tri + cross (or whatever they call the xterra version) Is that correct?

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
i will echo what other says, Steve king the announcer is perhaps the best announcer in the sport of triathlon/multisport.

one of the most knowledgeable guy and actually pass so much stats and interesting info. he knows so much about everyone racing.

if you dont like the great outdoor, mountain, wine, hiking, pristine lake, then penticton wont necessarly be a huge draw for you. it s a small town place in the middle of a valley.

The pro keep saying how much they love the bike course and how beautifull it is...but reality is...we never ride around the lake, our other roads or old ironman course is so much more spectacular. (but too long to be used for ITU)

Jonathan Caron / Professional Coach / ironman champions / age group world champions
Jonnyo Coaching
Instargram
Quote Reply
Re: Official ITU WC Multisport festival thread [jonnyo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Never heard of him but I was commenting on his delivery not his knowledge. Perhaps he was having an off day but be was NOT an exciting announcer.

Penticton was nice. I liked Lakeshore, and the surrounding area was pretty. It was not crowded, but not a lot there for families. A lot of folks have stated that Whistler is a superior venue for IM than Penticton with more to do. It's an observation, not a criticism.

Penticton was well worth the visit. The volunteers were great, and overall the LD race was well organized. I'm glad I came, but it's not a repeat venue in my mind.
Quote Reply
Re: Official ITU WC Multisport festival thread [B_Doughtie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
B_Doughtie wrote:
So recapping, was the festival 2 weekends in length? How did the locals handle that? How were road closures handled?

So it was Duathlon worlds (regular/sprint) + LC tri + cross (or whatever they call the xterra version) Is that correct?

It was effectively 9 days in length... DL Sprint Du/Elite DL Du (Sat 19), Standard Du (Mon 21), Cross Tri (AG & Elite) (Wed 23), Aquathlon (AG & Elite) (Fri 25), LD Tri/Aquabike (AG & Elite) (Sun 27). All spaced out to convene to the ITU 36hr rule... There was a main closure downtown by the Lakeside resort, where the finish line and elite T-zone was set-up, that was in effect from Wednesday before the festival until the end, and then road closures each race day for the race courses. There were signs everywhere in the days leading up to each race about the upcoming closures. For the most part locals complied (with the obvious towing of a few cars parked on the courses race morning). There were a few issues with frustrated locals, and a few cars driving onto the courses, but at least when I was there, this was very minimal. They tried to vary the courses a bit too, so that they weren't all using exactly the same route, so that they could mix up which roads were closed (except for the obvious ones by transition and the finish) to help reduce the impact on locals. Many of the locals were volunteering or spectating at the events, and largely they were very supportive (many businesses has signs up welcoming athletes and their families). Like any city, there were a few locals who were less thrilled, but their was little noticeable impact. There were tons of spectators for the parade of nations (at least the first one, they did for the Dus and Cross Tri), with many people cheering from their yards, and kids high fiving the athletes.

In terms of Steve King announcing... if he seemed more "easy listening" and less energetic, it was only because he was pacing himself... he announced every race, all festival long, and with the AG/Jr/Elite races for each discipline, there were many long days, I'm amazed that his voice lasted that long. Maybe if you caught him at the end of the week, he was trying to make sure that his voice made it, but there were some very excited calls in some of the early races. He was also speeding through, with many close AG finishes, to try and mention as many athletes as possible (which comes at the expense of the excitement sometimes in the voice).

There were some small kinks for sure, which will happen with any World Champs, especially given this is the first time that they have used this festival format with so many championships in such a short time in the same city. But largely it was successful, enjoyable for the athletes and well run. And there was lots to do in the city as well when not racing, we enjoyed excellent food, there were good breweries/brew pubs, tons of vineyards (it's always a good sign when a race has a wine sponsor, and produces special vintages for the event (that were tasty too, we brought a bottle of the white home)), lots of waterfront activities for families (there was that obstacle course in the water for the kids, and the canal to tube down), some great trails to explore (the KVR Trail was great for morning runs), etc. There were a few athlete vehicle collisions outside of the races around the traffic detour near the TZone/host hotel, as far as I could tell none were too serious (likely a combination of a high number of athletes, from different countries with different traffic laws, not all behaving the same, and the usual impatient driver/drivers not shoulder checking, I didn't see any of the collisions so I can't speak to them directly, but i did see some near misses for the above mentioned reasons).

The only real disappointment was the sizes of the elite fields, which were smaller than expected. But not unsurprising for a race in North America, where it's a bit pricier for many athletes to travel to (Euro races will always have bigger fields, since you have many countries in close proximity for travel, whereas for north america, it's just Canada and the US that are close, even Mexico is a trek). If they had moved the festival up by a week, so follow immediately after the WTS races in Edmonton and Montreal, they might have gotten a few more elites sticking around for the Du/Cross/Aquathlon events, but with it being the week leading up to WTS Stockholm, that was a tougher sell.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Trauma wrote:
B_Doughtie wrote:

It was effectively 9 days in length... DL Sprint Du/Elite DL Du (Sat 19), Standard Du (Mon 21), Cross Tri (AG & Elite) (Wed 23), Aquathlon (AG & Elite) (Fri 25), LD Tri/Aquabike (AG & Elite) (Sun 27). All spaced out to convene to the ITU 36hr rule... There was a main closure downtown by the Lakeside resort, where the finish line and elite T-zone was set-up, that was in effect from Wednesday before the festival until the end, and then road closures each race day for the race courses. There were signs everywhere in the days leading up to each race about the upcoming closures. For the most part locals complied (with the obvious towing of a few cars parked on the courses race morning). There were a few issues with frustrated locals, and a few cars driving onto the courses, but at least when I was there, this was very minimal. They tried to vary the courses a bit too, so that they weren't all using exactly the same route, so that they could mix up which roads were closed (except for the obvious ones by transition and the finish) to help reduce the impact on locals. Many of the locals were volunteering or spectating at the events, and largely they were very supportive (many businesses has signs up welcoming athletes and their families). Like any city, there were a few locals who were less thrilled, but their was little noticeable impact. There were tons of spectators for the parade of nations (at least the first one, they did for the Dus and Cross Tri), with many people cheering from their yards, and kids high fiving the athletes.

In terms of Steve King announcing... if he seemed more "easy listening" and less energetic, it was only because he was pacing himself... he announced every race, all festival long, and with the AG/Jr/Elite races for each discipline, there were many long days, I'm amazed that his voice lasted that long. Maybe if you caught him at the end of the week, he was trying to make sure that his voice made it, but there were some very excited calls in some of the early races. He was also speeding through, with many close AG finishes, to try and mention as many athletes as possible (which comes at the expense of the excitement sometimes in the voice).

There were some small kinks for sure, which will happen with any World Champs, especially given this is the first time that they have used this festival format with so many championships in such a short time in the same city. But largely it was successful, enjoyable for the athletes and well run. And there was lots to do in the city as well when not racing, we enjoyed excellent food, there were good breweries/brew pubs, tons of vineyards (it's always a good sign when a race has a wine sponsor, and produces special vintages for the event (that were tasty too, we brought a bottle of the white home)), lots of waterfront activities for families (there was that obstacle course in the water for the kids, and the canal to tube down), some great trails to explore (the KVR Trail was great for morning runs), etc. There were a few athlete vehicle collisions outside of the races around the traffic detour near the TZone/host hotel, as far as I could tell none were too serious (likely a combination of a high number of athletes, from different countries with different traffic laws, not all behaving the same, and the usual impatient driver/drivers not shoulder checking, I didn't see any of the collisions so I can't speak to them directly, but i did see some near misses for the above mentioned reasons).

The only real disappointment was the sizes of the elite fields, which were smaller than expected. But not unsurprising for a race in North America, where it's a bit pricier for many athletes to travel to (Euro races will always have bigger fields, since you have many countries in close proximity for travel, whereas for north america, it's just Canada and the US that are close, even Mexico is a trek). If they had moved the festival up by a week, so follow immediately after the WTS races in Edmonton and Montreal, they might have gotten a few more elites sticking around for the Du/Cross/Aquathlon events, but with it being the week leading up to WTS Stockholm, that was a tougher sell.

Great recap! For me, Steve by far was the greatest announcer I have ever heard at a race. And it was great to never heard stupid jokes!!!
would love to see someone try to do what he did. Talk about the man. 5 days of racing, and he called them all from start to finish. Just Amazing!!!
How he kept his voice strong was just over the top.

There were tons of things the kids could do. A kids run race. A kids tri. The play thing had kids over it all the time in the water.

Parade of nations were great. First one had people lined up all over. The second had folks also.

I would go back to Penticton in a heartbeat. I hear 1 out of 6 local helps during the week. Show me another town that got that involved for what really was 12 days.
I talked to some who worked the entire race and had to take time off of work with either no pay, or vacation!

The courses were all marked perfectly. The volunteers directed all athletes on the courses perfectly. I really cannot find a negative thing to say, and I am picky.

Water was right at the cutoffs for wetsuits.

Penticton2020

Wife loved the VIP pass I got for her!!

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
HuffNPuff wrote:
but not a lot there for families.

I don't think you looked very hard. The Okanagan valley is massively popular for family vacations.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
HuffNPuff wrote:
Never heard of him but I was commenting on his delivery not his knowledge. Perhaps he was having an off day but be was NOT an exciting announcer.

Penticton was nice. I liked Lakeshore, and the surrounding area was pretty. It was not crowded, but not a lot there for families. A lot of folks have stated that Whistler is a superior venue for IM than Penticton with more to do. It's an observation, not a criticism.

Penticton was well worth the visit. The volunteers were great, and overall the LD race was well organized. I'm glad I came, but it's not a repeat venue in my mind.

Have not heard Steve, but for my money Paul Kaye is the best in the biz! He does the "hot corner" in Kona and I had never heard a better, more knowledgeable, more exciting guy.

I had a slot but decided the cost and distance was not worth it for ME. Nice, Ibiza, many other spots I'd pony up for without a blink. (and if USAT would make it's fees more reasonable). I had some friends go and like it, but I'm more inclined to go to a place with more to do and more culture to embrace. JMO.
Quote Reply
Re: Official ITU WC Multisport festival thread [NordicSkier] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I would go back to Penticton in a heartbeat if they got the festival again. And there was lots to do (I unfortunately only got to scratch the surface, given that in the last few days leading up to the race, other than previewing the courses and mandatory events, I tried to lay low and stay out of the heat...), maybe you might run out of things, if you were there for the whole festival, but in the 6 days we were there it was great... We tacked on some time in Whistler and Vancouver to the time in BC after the race...

With the fees imposed by national federations and the costs associated with uniforms, etc. for such an event, it's going to be pricey and not everyone's cup of tea (location for sure factors into my decision of which years to go and race worlds and which ones not to...).

The next two years you should get some culture on the Island of Fyn in Denmark (Odense, which hosts some of the races is home to famed children's author Hans Christian Andersen) and in Pontevedra (2019). And we should get a sense on how the elite fields for the festival will draw, in a euro setting especially if it lines up with a Euro Block of WTS racing, which from the dates looks like it could line-up well with the German races and MTR Worlds, so we could have some killer fields (and be far enough out from Montreal to not make travel a huge issue).

In terms of other more exciting locations... they have to want to host the events, which major on the beaten path tourist traps may be reluctant to do, with the amount of time it requires roads to be closed... You'll probably get more of the slightly off the beaten path places, looking to showcase their cities...
Quote Reply
Re: Official ITU WC Multisport festival thread [h2ofun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was there as well and will add my 02 cents..

US athlete.
M60-64
2nd ITU WC event.

I competed in the LC event on Sunday. Overall, I thought the event was a fantastic experience.

+'s
  • Penticton seemed to open it's arms to the athletes and spectators. I didn't experience any negative energy from the locals.
  • A+ lake and swim course, It was choppy when the wind was out of the N, but not killer hard.
  • Fair, tough and fun bike course. Except for the pavement going up McLean Creek, I thought the course was Championship Caliber.
  • Got to represent the USA....some may think it's hoky. I don't. It's an honor
  • Stunning scenery around the Penticton area. I never got tired of looking up or across the lake.
  • I thought the race organization was very good. Plenty of volunteers. Well marked courses. Up to date and well thought out athlete guides.
  • Sportstats is one heck of a timing company...second to none.
  • I liked the fact that they combined the Men's and Women's podium. I just struck me as a cool thing and helped speed up the awards.

-'s
  • No drug testing at the AG level that I was aware of.
  • Not as competitive as I would hope a World Championship could be.

I'd go back in a heart beat. Hopefully, they'll be another one in North America...soon.

"Good genes are not a requirement, just the obsession to beat ones brains out daily"...the Griz
Quote Reply
Re: Official ITU WC Multisport festival thread [stringcheese] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
stringcheese wrote:
I was there as well and will add my 02 cents..

US athlete.
M60-64
2nd ITU WC event.

I competed in the LC event on Sunday. Overall, I thought the event was a fantastic experience.

+'s
  • Penticton seemed to open it's arms to the athletes and spectators. I didn't experience any negative energy from the locals.
  • A+ lake and swim course, It was choppy when the wind was out of the N, but not killer hard.
  • Fair, tough and fun bike course. Except for the pavement going up McLean Creek, I thought the course was Championship Caliber.
  • Got to represent the USA....some may think it's hoky. I don't. It's an honor
  • Stunning scenery around the Penticton area. I never got tired of looking up or across the lake.
  • I thought the race organization was very good. Plenty of volunteers. Well marked courses. Up to date and well thought out athlete guides.
  • Sportstats is one heck of a timing company...second to none.
  • I liked the fact that they combined the Men's and Women's podium. I just struck me as a cool thing and helped speed up the awards.

-'s
  • No drug testing at the AG level that I was aware of.
  • Not as competitive as I would hope a World Championship could be.

I'd go back in a heart beat. Hopefully, they'll be another one in North America...soon.

Agreed.

But, John Hill, in our AG, 24 times Kona, was third LC. Do not know how you get more competitive than that. The top of all 4 races I did were total Studs. But yep, not real real deep. The reason I hear from folks who have done these races for many years, is basically none of the europe folks showed up!! And I am told they are super strong in these events. So the next two years for this multi race will tell if this is true.

Drug testing. I talked to the Canada crew who runs the canada testing and my inputs is every competitor should have to give a urine sample to be able to race.
Then they can just test the ones they want to. That would scare most of the drug cheats away with spending very little money.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
first congrats Dave, you did yourself proud. I saw you a couple of times during the run and cheered you on Sunday.
I like your idea about the drug testing, make everyone give a sample at a race like this and then pick and choose some to actually test.

I competed in the LC Aqua Bike and loved everything about the race and venue. This is about my 6th or 7th time going to Penticton and it never gets old. We had a motel room right on Lakeshore and we spent each night after dinner sitting on the balcony watching people and the lake, great scenery. Made a lot of new friends as we had lots of Canadians as well as New Zealand team members staying at our motel (Rochester Motel). The owners of the motel were very knowledgeable and were out on the course cheering the runners on most of the day on Sunday as well.

Loved the course and thought it was very well laid out. Very fair and challenging. At breakfast yesterday morning I heard one of the locals complaining about traffic in town during the race on Sunday and remark that he didn't think they thought out the course very well with regards to traffic but I don't agree with that. I thought the race organizers did a very good job of routing things as best they could to have the least impact possible during the races.

The only bad note was the horrific traffic accident that happened on Friday afternoon on Hwy 97 south of the Yellow Lake turn off. I was out riding the loop around Skaha Lake and came up on it about 15 minutes after it had happened. Had nothing to do with the race as it was on a non race day but was on the same road that we raced two days later.

My only regret for the week was not finding the time to do the tire tube float down the canal.
May have to go do the Challenge race now to get to visit P-town again.

Mike Plumb, TriPower MultiSports
Professional Running, Cycling and Multisport Coaching, F.I.S.T. Certified
http://www.tripower.org
Quote Reply
Re: Official ITU WC Multisport festival thread [Mike Plumb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Mike Plumb wrote:
first congrats Dave, you did yourself proud. I saw you a couple of times during the run and cheered you on Sunday.
I like your idea about the drug testing, make everyone give a sample at a race like this and then pick and choose some to actually test.

I competed in the LC Aqua Bike and loved everything about the race and venue. This is about my 6th or 7th time going to Penticton and it never gets old. We had a motel room right on Lakeshore and we spent each night after dinner sitting on the balcony watching people and the lake, great scenery. Made a lot of new friends as we had lots of Canadians as well as New Zealand team members staying at our motel (Rochester Motel). The owners of the motel were very knowledgeable and were out on the course cheering the runners on most of the day on Sunday as well.

Loved the course and thought it was very well laid out. Very fair and challenging. At breakfast yesterday morning I heard one of the locals complaining about traffic in town during the race on Sunday and remark that he didn't think they thought out the course very well with regards to traffic but I don't agree with that. I thought the race organizers did a very good job of routing things as best they could to have the least impact possible during the races.

The only bad note was the horrific traffic accident that happened on Friday afternoon on Hwy 97 south of the Yellow Lake turn off. I was out riding the loop around Skaha Lake and came up on it about 15 minutes after it had happened. Had nothing to do with the race as it was on a non race day but was on the same road that we raced two days later.

My only regret for the week was not finding the time to do the tire tube float down the canal.
May have to go do the Challenge race now to get to visit P-town again.

Thanks still trying to recover. Slept 10 hours last night with the light off at 6:30. Will be trying to do that again tonight. I cannot believe how trashed my legs are from the LC tri 18 mile run on the road. I really wished I was wearing an orange band.

I was also staying on lakeshore at the crown. Sorry our paths did not cross. I wore my white hat all the time and was amazed how many folks came by to introduce themselves and asked if I were the h2ofun guy on ST. I of course said yes and told them to be careful I might bike. :) I even had starkey come by and introduce himself to me at the awards. I said Dan should allow him back on ST. :)

I thought Penticton was amazing. I would go back there in an instant. Everything, IMO, about the race was right on. I heard from local business owners they LOVE us triathletes coming to town. Fills up everything, and we spend money. I hear we even brought in like 6 million. So their comments to me were for the few that bitch, tough for them. :)

Too bad Dan did not put the Draft legal Tri on his list here for the Golden state. So many try to say a draft legal race is not safe. Well, here would be the case for folks to race on first hand on a close road, and see for themselves, it is really a lot of fun.

Next time we have to connect if at the same race. Congrads on your AB race. The race numbers were huge for a first year event. May have been larger than all the other events, and was not much smaller than the LC tri.

Quote Reply
Re: Official ITU WC Multisport festival thread [ggeiger] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ggeiger wrote:
HuffNPuff wrote:

Have not heard Steve, but for my money Paul Kaye is the best in the biz! He does the "hot corner" in Kona and I had never heard a better, more knowledgeable, more exciting guy.

I had a slot but decided the cost and distance was not worth it for ME. Nice, Ibiza, many other spots I'd pony up for without a blink. (and if USAT would make it's fees more reasonable). I had some friends go and like it, but I'm more inclined to go to a place with more to do and more culture to embrace. JMO.

Paul Kaye is definitely the gold standard. I've had the pleasure of him announcing me at the finish of a couple of IMs...probably not fair to hold others up to that level.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Drug testing. I talked to the Canada crew who runs the canada testing and my inputs is every competitor should have to give a urine sample to be able to race.
Then they can just test the ones they want to. That would scare most of the drug cheats away with spending very little money.

-----

I can tell you one technical issue will be chain of custody. Even if you only actually tested 3,5, 10%, hell even 1%, it would be the actual technical process of taking the samples that would be the issue. It's not just peeing in a cup. It's dividing each sample into 2 cups for A and B samples that would have to be for EVERYONE. And the biggest thing with drug testing? Actually getting the sample from the athlete. It's kinda scary to drop your pants and have some guy or girl watching you pee. Stage fright often occurs so then you have to sit there for 90 mins to get enough fluid in you to actually get a sample.

And you have to have that thorough of a process because this is a big deal. So I'm not anti take sample from everyone and only test a few. I just don't think y'all realize what the actual process is and how daunting of a task that would be. You would have to take every sample, bag up each sample, box up each sample....next person. I'm guessing the avg process likely is 40+ mins because of issues with not being able to pee etc.

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
B_Doughtie wrote:

-----

I can tell you one technical issue will be chain of custody. Even if you only actually tested 3,5, 10%, hell even 1%, it would be the actual technical process of taking the samples that would be the issue. It's not just peeing in a cup. It's dividing each sample into 2 cups for A and B samples that would have to be for EVERYONE. And the biggest thing with drug testing? Actually getting the sample from the athlete. It's kinda scary to drop your pants and have some guy or girl watching you pee. Stage fright often occurs so then you have to sit there for 90 mins to get enough fluid in you to actually get a sample.

And you have to have that thorough of a process because this is a big deal. So I'm not anti take sample from everyone and only test a few. I just don't think y'all realize what the actual process is and how daunting of a task that would be. You would have to take every sample, bag up each sample, box up each sample....next person. I'm guessing the avg process likely is 40+ mins because of issues with not being able to pee etc.

As I said to them, better than taking blood.

And I said to them, we always have a million excuses as to why it cannot be done. Your comments, or the cost or or or.

This is also why I told them no one really cares. Folks talk about it and test a few which keeps 99.9% of the folks quiet thinking something is being done.

So, if you were king for the day, what would you do?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No im not making excuses. I'm saying there is a protocol that has to be followed so YOU the athlete and my athletes are protected. I'm in favor of taking as many samples as possible. But I'm for following the correct procedures because my name and reputation is on the line here (just as your name or coaches/athletes on here).

So like I said actual taking a piss sample is very detailed process.

Also if I'm king for day, and I've been saying this from day 1- get rid of AG testing. But I get it and appreciate what they can do. I just think it's a very daunting task! But they are popping people so process is working.

And again I'm not giving you an excuse dave. I'm actually protecting you (the athlete) by making sure the process of sample collection is done properly. And it's not an "easy" process, which was my point. Let's do it, but let's understand fully what is being asked. That's what I'm saying because drug testing and doping is a big deal and careers are on the line.

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Last edited by: B_Doughtie: Aug 29, 17 18:53
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
B_Doughtie wrote:
No im not making excuses. I'm saying there is a protocol that has to be followed so YOU the athlete and my athletes are protected. I'm in favor of taking as many samples as possible. But I'm for following the correct procedures because my name and reputation is on the line here (just as your name or coaches/athletes on here).

So like I said actual taking a piss sample is very detailed process.

Also if I'm king for day, and I've been saying this from day 1- get rid of AG testing. But I get it and appreciate what they can do. I just think it's a very daunting task! But they are popping people so process is working.

And again I'm not giving you an excuse dave. I'm actually protecting you (the athlete) by making sure the process of sample collection is done properly. And it's not an "easy" process, which was my point. Let's do it, but let's understand fully what is being asked. That's what I'm saying because drug testing and doping is a big deal and careers are on the line.

Yea, we get it, it's complicated.
I still would like to see testing at this event...

My suggestion...
Pre race announce 5 or 6 age groups will be randomly selected on race morning.
Take the top three finishers of those age groups.

"Good genes are not a requirement, just the obsession to beat ones brains out daily"...the Griz
Quote Reply
Re: Official ITU WC Multisport festival thread [stringcheese] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ummm why even announce it? Just randomly test podium finishers. Cus they did no testing here?

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Totally correct on the chain of custody issue and the time to collect the samples (as an official I've worked with doping control for elite races, and at times it's taken 2+hours for athletes to produce samples, all the while they must be accompanied by a chaperone to make sure nothing shifty happens)... I'd love to see everyone produce a sample, but that's logistically unlikely to occur. Even testing a few AGers at random would have been a good deterrent, and would be a welcome addition. I will note that they had volunteer roles for doping chaperones, primarily during age group race times, when I looked at the volunteer sign-up, but the race organization doesn't know whether or when doping control (in Canada the CCES) will show up... I for one would have been happier with a bit less swag in the swag bags for the event, and taking a few of those dollars in our entry fees that covered those items and paying for some drug tests.

At least they were checking for motors amongst both elite and AG racers, which is a step in the right direction. I was happy to stand by for the 3min or so it took them to go over my bike with the scanner, to help ensure a more level playing field.

I'll also point out that not all Euro stars stayed away, GB had a strong presence as always, but the contingents from many of the other nations were tiny or non-existent. Will be interesting to see how it looks in Fyn...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Trauma wrote:
Totally correct on the chain of custody issue and the time to collect the samples (as an official I've worked with doping control for elite races, and at times it's taken 2+hours for athletes to produce samples, all the while they must be accompanied by a chaperone to make sure nothing shifty happens)... I'd love to see everyone produce a sample, but that's logistically unlikely to occur. Even testing a few AGers at random would have been a good deterrent, and would be a welcome addition. I will note that they had volunteer roles for doping chaperones, primarily during age group race times, when I looked at the volunteer sign-up, but the race organization doesn't know whether or when doping control (in Canada the CCES) will show up... I for one would have been happier with a bit less swag in the swag bags for the event, and taking a few of those dollars in our entry fees that covered those items and paying for some drug tests.

At least they were checking for motors amongst both elite and AG racers, which is a step in the right direction. I was happy to stand by for the 3min or so it took them to go over my bike with the scanner, to help ensure a more level playing field.

I'll also point out that not all Euro stars stayed away, GB had a strong presence as always, but the contingents from many of the other nations were tiny or non-existent. Will be interesting to see how it looks in Fyn...

I worked as a doping chaperone volunteer on Saturday for the Junior and Elite Duathlon races (after I finished the Sprint race). As noted, chain of custody is very important. I was assigned one person based on finishing position. I had to literally grab the person as he crossed the finish line, notify him he had been selected for drug testing and shadow him until he provided a sample. For the first guy, this took 90 minutes. For the second guy it was well over two hours. In addition, the actual process of producing the sample is very structured. The athlete selects the collection container and the "A" and "B" bottle. Once the same is collected, the athlete separates it into the A and B containers. At no time does the doping control official touch these containers until they have been sealed.

As much as I like the idea of testing AGers, as noted above, this is a logistical nightmare. The doping control official I chatted with agreed, in principle, but she noted that it was ITU's decision.
Quote Reply
Re: Official ITU WC Multisport festival thread [HandHeartCrown] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
For sure It's a very regimented process... And I feel for you, having to tail someone around until they could finally muster up a sample, it can be long and tedious (it used to be worse, in the 80's they gave free beer to help make people pee, so post race guys would hold on as long as they could to get as much free beer as possible before producing A-Z samples...). A few AG spot checks could be a good deterrent to AG doping, but it comes down to what the ITU wants at the events...

I thought about volunteering as a DC chaperone... but rather than babysitting one at a time, I ended up doing crowd control at an intersection, babysitting many people all at once...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just got back my TeamUSA jacket updated with the Penticton Multisport Legend belt buckle design. Pretty proud of this effort.

Quote Reply

Prev Next